ADVERTISEMENT

A Few Thoughts

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
Went to the game today in Lawrence. What a cold, wet, miserable environment backed up with an equally terrible loss. A few quick thoughts:

1. This loss is so frustrating, not because of the name of the opponent or the implications, but because OU lost to a completely inferior team and blew several opportunities to put Kansas away.

2. The roller coaster that is OC Jeff Lebby continues. The possession after the Downs INT to seal the game was absolutely horrendous. 2 minutes and change in opposing territory with the chance to ice the game but we can’t convert. The Gabriel delayed draw to put OU in 3rd and long was terrible. The continuous cycling of RBs, thousands of jet sweeps, obsession with the cute trick plays. I just don’t get it, any of it. The Farooq RB package needs to go ASAP. I struggle to comprehend how this offense will ever gain real consistency with Lebby at the helm.

2. The defense reverted back to 2022. The poor tackling was visibly noticeable in this game, even early before the rain and conditions affected the game. I’ve been an advocate for Kanak but he looked lost most of the game, especially in coverage. Defense spent most of the game “catching blocks”, not playing downhill and aggressive. Zone defense was so, so bad. The lack of designed pressure against Bean was head scratching to say the least.

3. Went to the game with a buddy of mine who is a former Big10 player. In his words: stupid unforced penalties, bad special teams, and turnovers will get you a loss against any average team on the road. Special teams were unbelievably poor. That needs to be addressed in a serious way this off-season.

4. OU was just so damn undisciplined this game. Late hits, 10 guys on the field on punt and punt return, the back to back penalties to flip the field and put KU in scoring position. Just a complete meltdown in every facet of the game.

5. 10 win season is far from guaranteed. This team is regressing and playing worse each week.

(Extra thought: I was so impressed with KUs offensive line. They weren’t nearly as big and physical as OUs front, but they knew where they were working to and walled guys off, especially on outside zone. They just got bodies on bodies, something OU still fails to do. I am a huge fan of Leipold, he is maximizing every little bit of that roster.)

Time for a few fingers of bourbon to warm me up and help me forget about the Sooners!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News