ADVERTISEMENT

45 years ago today was the GOTC

As great as the 1970's decade was, Nebraska ruined two chances of winning a national championship by OU (1971 and 1978)....but OU did win 7 of 10 during the 70's.
I thought before the 1971 game that if OU fumbled three times, it would lose. That is what happened.

Reactions: iasooner1
I haven't watched this in awhile, but one thing that stands out now is how much bigger Larry Jacobson looked than everyone else on the field. I think he was 6'6" and weighed about 270. It's pretty amazing to me how much bigger today's players are.

Reactions: iasooner1
I haven't watched this in awhile, but one thing that stands out now is how much bigger Larry Jacobson looked than everyone else on the field. I think he was 6'6" and weighed about 270. It's pretty amazing to me how much bigger today's players are.

We had one lineman on offense, and one lineman on defense who were over 240. Derland Moore at DTackle was OUr biggest player at 245. And Robert Jenson was around 240 at OTackle. But the rules were a lot different. You couldn't hold then, like you can now. Many of the huge guys, these days, would have had trouble pass blocking with the rules in place 45 years ago. It was the liberalizing of blocking rules that changed the size of players who could play the game.

But we were so much bigger than Bud's teams, especially during the one platoon days of the 50's. That year, we played USC in game three and they had an OTackle named John Vella who went about 290. He was the biggest human being I'd ever seen in person, besides Chris Taylor, the wrestler at Iowa State. Vella would be the smallest guy in OUr Oline these days.

The official stats on Jacobson said that he was 250, but in pads he looked bigger than that. That was just before the time when the Huskers became steroid U.

Reactions: veritas59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT