ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Heisman Hangout tidbits and more clarity at TE

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023

— First off, I’m told Oklahoma made another really strong impression with four-star CB Courtland Guillory today, and there should be another in-depth update coming from our national recruiting analyst Marshall Levenson. But for the moment, just be advised that I would enter a FutureCast for Guillory were it not for the Trystan Haynes factor. That’s the only thing that is holding me back here. With Maliek Hawkins set to commit Wednesday and all signs pointing toward Oklahoma there, the Sooners only have two cornerback spots in this class. They’ll have to be scrupulous the rest of the way.

I still fully expect Cobey Sellers in the class, and he’s high enough on the board that the Sooners would probably hold off other targets to give Sellers some runway to decide. With that in mind, I can’t bank on Guillory in the class — at least not this early — because of the logistical hurdle that could arise if they were to take an early pledge from Guillory and then Haynes wanted in before Sellers’ decision. Nevertheless, the Sooners are in a very good position with Guillory, and I think it’s worth noting that Texas had a huge recruiting weekend as well. The trip to Austin would have been a much shorter one for Guillory. Yet he was in Norman.

— I’ll have more on Antoni Ogumoro in the days ahead. But for now, be aware that he will circle back to Norman for the spring game on April 20th, and his OU official visit will obviously take place prior to his May 21 commitment. That would put him on campus four times in the span of two months immediately prior to his decision. Sources I spoke with emphasized that Ogumoro and his family had an excellent experience today, and I feel pretty solid about my FutureCast to Oklahoma right now.

— The Sooners and Linkon Cure are fading, as much of a disappointment as that will be to many. Kansas State remains in the driver’s seat, Cure is still flirting with Oregon, and Collin Klein has helped Texas A&M secure a foothold in this race. If Oklahoma can get him back to campus at all, let alone for an official visit, it would be a surprise to me (a pleasant surprise, but a surprise nonetheless). The Sooners felt they were trending in the right direction with the four-star Goodland (Kan.) tight end throughout the month of February, but things have just kind of fizzled.

— Meanwhile, DaSaahn Brame still doesn’t have any official visits scheduled beyond Ole Miss (April 12-14) and Oregon (June 21-23), which isn’t the greatest optic as far as Oklahoma is concerned. Rest assured, though — he will OV with the Sooners. Brent Venables and company will have their shot at the blue-chip tight end from suburban Wichita. It’s just a matter of getting that date on the calendar. But undeniably, the fact that Oregon will have Brame on campus the weekend of the ChampU BBQ is cause for pessimism. If it’s any consolation, the Sooners are in a very good spot with Dakotah Terrell, and I still feel as though they could have Chase Loftin if they wanted him. But going 1-for-2 with Brame and Nate Roberts feels like a legitimate necessity.

Much more to come tomorrow as we continue to collect visitor reactions from the Heisman Hangout. Many of the visitors are still in Norman, so expect more info in the afternoon or evening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News