ADVERTISEMENT

4-Piece Nuggets: Five WRs in a single class (?), plus a juicy bonus nugget

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023
— Let’s go ahead and start with yesterday’s most prominent non-Turnipseed news, and that is Ivan Carreon’s decommitment. It’s been a wild month in Carreon’s recruitment, and it all started when he showed up to OU’s camp on the 3rd and earned an offer. Come June 9-11, the West Texas standout took his official visit to Texas Tech and said all the right things to the Red Raider staff, which led to an initial feeling of confidence in Lubbock that he’d remain in the class. However, he very quickly turned around and scheduled a June 16-18 official visit to Norman, which rubbed Tech the wrong way and begin to open a chasm. He followed his trip to Oklahoma with an OV to Purdue on June 23-25, and last night, he and Tech parted ways in what I’m told was a mutual decision. I like where Oklahoma stands with Tech out of the picture, and I’ve entered a FutureCast in favor of the Sooners.

— Now, as far as the ramifications for the rest of the board if Carreon is indeed a Sooner, don’t get it twisted: this won’t affect OU’s pursuit of Zion Ragins or Terry Bussey at all. I’m told Oklahoma will take Ragins no matter what, and nothing has changed in that recruitment. The Sooners still lead the pack. And obviously, you’re never saying no to a talent like Bussey. The door will always be open for him. Thus, there's a world in which the Sooners end up with five or even six wideouts in 2024. As to where Carreon would fit, there were several questions on the board yesterday about whether he’s a WR or a TE. Purdue, which is the other contender for Carreon’s services, wants him at tight end. I’ve mentioned it before, but Oklahoma quite adamantly does not know and does not care. The Sooners want him in the class, regardless of whether he ends up playing receiver or tight end in their offense.

— Shouldn’t be any surprise based on the predictions that have flown in over the last couple of days, but I expect OU cornerback target Justin Denson to commit to Michigan State tomorrow. I spoke with the three-star ATH out of Rhode Island this morning, and it seems the Spartans were able to snatch the momentum out of the Sooners’ hands when they hosted Denson on his official visit last weekend. He would have been a Gator, but Florida decided to bet on landing Jameer Grimsley instead, and that allowed OU and Michigan State to emerge late as the frontrunners. Oklahoma can now focus more exclusively on closing out Eli Bowen and Devon Jordan.

— I’ll be up in small-town Iowa tomorrow to touch base with top offensive line target Grant Brix, who is fresh off his final OV to Nebraska and now has a tough decision ahead of him. He’s essentially down to three schools — Oklahoma, Nebraska and Kansas State — and all three schools have a unique advantage. For Oklahoma, it’s development; for Nebraska, it’s proximity. Meanwhile, Kansas State is where Brix’s girlfriend will be attending school this fall, so that’s the Wildcats’ ace in the hole here. I’m hoping to have a better sense of where things stand when I talk face-to-face with Brix, but for now, I still think OU and Nebraska are poised to duke this one out down the stretch.

— Here’s a bonus nugget that ought to help some of the Davon Mitchell panic to ebb away… I’m told there were conversations yesterday between Oklahoma and the Mitchell family, and things were quite expediently smoothed over. The Sooner staff did a bang-up job of responding to any and all issues and/or tension present. You can choose to worry or rest easy in advance of his July 8 commitment date, but either way, know this: I’m told Mitchell will be in attendance for the Party at the Palace on July 28. He’ll also be accompanied by his mother (you know, the one who lives in Alabama). Do with that information what you will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News