ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruits

coeSooner81

Sooner signee
Oct 10, 2014
I am hearing there are several recruits who have decided to take other visits. BV has a policy of not taking visits once you commit to OU. Will be interesting to see if he stands true to that.

Vasek already flipped and a few others probably will too. I am hearing some Aggie guys are wavering, possibly Hicks. I think we need to get some young guys out there the last 3 games to build for the future.

Reactions: iasooner2000
There is really nothing surprising about kids flipping now with the NIL crap. NIL is becoming nothing more than a yearly traveling circus for recruites today.

There is really nothing surprising about kids flipping now with the NIL crap. NIL is becoming nothing more than a yearly traveling circus for recruites today.
Yes, the NIL has completely fvcked up the recruiting process. My love for cfb is going by the way in my old age. I'll be guiding fishers here within 6 months.

Reactions: Patriotgame
Yes, the NIL has completely fvcked up the recruiting process. My love for cfb is going by the way in my old age. I'll be guiding fishers here within 6 months.
I understand completely. I think in the future many fans will say the hell with this. Including myself at some point.

I quit watching pro sports for many reasons and NIL in college is just the beginning of things to change everything in CFB. Remember this “ pay college athletes” is what many fany wanted and as they say “Be careful what you wish for”

We all agree that Jackson Arnold is a stud, if he earns the starting job next year who will he throw it to? Mimms, Stoops, Wease, and Willis, will all be gone next year. Farooq who knows if he stays or transfers to USC. We have guys on the depth chart but not a lot of production. Brian Darby is someone who may need to step up.

Reactions: Oklabama
Regardless of losing the "darling" recruits, it's up to coaching and developing of these kids. Always has been. Did I mention I'm hanging by a thread with cfb? 😉

Great article. Thanks 67 for supplying that link. I really liked the part where it likely does cause “chemistry issues” in the locker room among players.
I laughed when the Kentucky Basketball Recruit got a new Porsche then decided to skip College and enter the NBA draft. 🤣

"The contracts typically don’t stipulate athletes must attend a specific university (but presume they will). Take Shaedon Sharpe, a five-star basketball recruit who graduated high school in December and a month later enrolled at Kentucky, where NIL packages include a Porsche, with the intention of playing for the Wildcats in 2022-23. “Thanks for the wheels,” he said on social media. Now he’s entered the NBA Draft."

I don't think NIL is a horrible idea. But NIL with basically no regulation is a horrible idea, worse than any previous ideas. I like the notion of NIL, because it allows the athletes that are in self supporting sports to receive some compensation in ratio with what they're providing the university. And I see absolutely no reason why athletes in college can't endorse a product.

But there has to be a limitation on earnings. Otherwise they are professionals. The definition of amateur has changed over the years. I have no clue what the limitations should be. BUT these universities surely have a way to find regulations that don't break everybody's bank. If the NBA can do it, anybody should be able to.

Picking a number that above which forfeits an athlete's amateur status is a good starting place. And college athletes ought to be amateurs. We have outlets for professional athletes. If they want to try to be pros, they should seek those outlets.

Last edited:
Reactions: JConXtsy
I don't think NIL is a horrible idea. But NIL with basically no regulation is a horrible idea, worse than any previous ideas. I like the notion of NIL, because it allows the athletes that are in self supporting sports to receive some compensation in ratio with what they're providing the university. And I see absolutely no reason why athletes in college can't endorse a product.

But there has to be a limitation on earnings. Otherwise they are professionals. The definition of amateur has changed over the years. I have no clue what the limitations should be. BUT these universities surely have a way to find regulations that don't break everybody's bank. If the NBA can do it, anybody should be able to.

Picking a number that above which forfeits an athlete's amateur status is a good starting place. And college athletes ought to be amateurs. We have outlets for professional athletes. If they want to try to be pros, they should seek those outlets.
Plaino - I have laid out my opinion on NIL and you guys may be tired of hearing it, but, because of the way you have your post worded, I'll do it once again.

The NCAA has shown to be incompetent for more years than most on this board have been around. Guys like me and you saw it happen when OU and Ga challenged the NCAA's TV broadcast monopoly.
To me, NIL should be very similar to that situation.
Where the NCAAA fell down on the job (AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN...) is, their lawyers should have insisted that the court define NIL. If they had, NIL would have ended up just like your first paragraph. If you put Rattler's name on a jersey and sell it, Rattler is entitled to a portion of the profits. First, nobody would be getting Porsches or million dollar payments, etc.
Any issues in the locker room would have been greatly minimized, as the payouts would be in 3 or 4 figure dollar amounts - not 7 or 8 figures.
Second, the revenue would be controlled by the actual sales revenue generated with a specific player's NIL.
Instead, the NCAA just said "Screw it. We'll just pretend the court said players can be paid any amount to attend whichever school they wish." They are still not smart enough (even after 50-60 years) to understand they just crapped in their own bed. The way they interpreted NIL will be the ultimate downfall of the NCAA.
They think they created the money monster that College Football has become.
Again, not smart enough to understand that they were actually on the losing end of the litigation that created this money monster.
In other words, College Football is where it is financially in spite of the NCAA, not because of the NCAA.

Plaino - I have laid out my opinion on NIL and you guys may be tired of hearing it, but, because of the way you have your post worded, I'll do it once again.

The NCAA has shown to be incompetent for more years than most on this board have been around. Guys like me and you saw it happen when OU and Ga challenged the NCAA's TV broadcast monopoly.
To me, NIL should be very similar to that situation.
Where the NCAAA fell down on the job (AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN...) is, their lawyers should have insisted that the court define NIL. If they had, NIL would have ended up just like your first paragraph. If you put Rattler's name on a jersey and sell it, Rattler is entitled to a portion of the profits. First, nobody would be getting Porsches or million dollar payments, etc.
Any issues in the locker room would have been greatly minimized, as the payouts would be in 3 or 4 figure dollar amounts - not 7 or 8 figures.
Second, the revenue would be controlled by the actual sales revenue generated with a specific player's NIL.
Instead, the NCAA just said "Screw it. We'll just pretend the court said players can be paid any amount to attend whichever school they wish." They are still not smart enough (even after 50-60 years) to understand they just crapped in their own bed. The way they interpreted NIL will be the ultimate downfall of the NCAA.
They think they created the money monster that College Football has become.
Again, not smart enough to understand that they were actually on the losing end of the litigation that created this money monster.
In other words, College Football is where it is financially in spite of the NCAA, not because of the NCAA.
We're sort of on the same page. But l don't think anybody can insist a court does anything. Courts are ambivalent when they wanna be.

I think NILs could be fine, but I'd like to see them be a binding contract. One NIL per player lifetime, and make it legally binding to the team they choose. The gamble should go both ways. If they want to transfer, that's OK, but the NIL should be returned, and they shouldn't receive another from the team to which they transfer.

If you hate your team so bad you want to leave, so be it. But you better hate it enough to relinquish your NIL deal, and you don't get a second.

I'm of the belief Jackson can make stars of the unproven wrs. I'm hanging by a thread here. 😁
What if Jackson doesnt commit, can DG get the job done next year with unproven WR's We lose a lot of experience in the WR room (including losing Gundy this year).

Oklabama:
Not only with a freshman quarterback, but also another year of unproven depth behind him.
That said, it's critical that Gabriel return with only Evers, Beville and Booty on the roster, unless there's a solid QB in the JUCO or transfer portal ranks.
For now, let's hope Jackson honors his commitment.

Oklabama:
Not only with a freshman quarterback, but also another year of unproven depth behind him.
That said, it's critical that Gabriel return with only Evers, Beville and Booty on the roster, unless there's a solid QB in the JUCO or transfer portal ranks.
For now, let's hope Jackson honors his commitment.
CT, how good do you think we’ll be at QB next season under this scenario? Maybe a little better win - loss than this year probably. All things considered.

We're sort of on the same page. But l don't think anybody can insist a court does anything. Courts are ambivalent when they wanna be.
Agree on the courts. Maybe it should have been the NCAA who defined NIL and continued to enforce the Pay-for-play rules.
However, expecting the NCAA to do much intelligent is like trying to insist on courts doing something.
I still believe the NCAA has signed their own death warrant.

CT, how good do you think we’ll be at QB next season under this scenario? Maybe a little better win - loss than this year probably. All things considered.
OU could be better if both Gabriel and Arnold are around but given all the issues this team has (and will have), that may not be saying much. There is not one position that doesn't need serious upgrading and I believe that must come from mostly high school talent rather than bargain-basement transfers.
If Gabriel leaves, the quarterbacking position again will be without proven talent even with Arnold on board.
I keep reminding myself that if Texas can bounce back from its 5-win season of a year ago, so can OU. But then, Texas in 2021 was not as bad as OU is now and it still had better talent than OU this year. Plus, Texas looks like it is well on its way to being a solid SEC team by 2025.
Venables faces a much more difficult task than Sarkisian had a year ago. I think he's up to it, but it looks like two more years is required along with some top ten recruiting classes.... built around Jackson Arnold.

The d-line has been a problem pretty much all year, and depth seems to be the issue. Marcus Hicks was a kid that came in as a top 25 DE in the nation, 6'4 300 lbs right now as a back up Olinemen. He was a wrestler in high school as well, put that big body over the center and let him go to work eating up blocks. Wonder why they moved him to offense

Just my opinion but the NCAA should have put an academic year cap on the amount of money a player could make, say $50,000...that would have made the playing field much more level

Just my opinion but the NCAA should have put an academic year cap on the amount of money a player could make, say $50,000...that would have made the playing field much more level
I would have to take another look at the court rendering on NIL but as I recall the NCAA has no legal powers to establish any form of restrictions.

I would have to take another look at the court rendering on NIL but as I recall the NCAA has no legal powers to establish any form of restrictions.
Wow, if that is so, that is a horrendous ruling for college football.

Small market schools will have a disastrous time competing with the power 5 conference schools

That is exactly how the NIL suit went. Courts wouldn't allow a cap.
I think what is being suggested here would be more like the NCAA approving Pay-for-play and putting a limit on the amount.
I still say NIL and PFP are 2 different things and the NCAA failed miserably in keeping them separate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT