ADVERTISEMENT

2020...Going Forward...

I believe it's a little odd that a series dominated by one team....88 wins, 18 losses, 7 ties....is labeled a "bedlam series".
It's okay with me however, because it focuses so much attention on each game and that's good for the state, the fans, the players and recruiting, as well as adding national attention for a Big 12 rivalry.

Isn't "Bedlam" a product of the wrestling rivalry and a term simply hijacked by the media for the purpose of promoting a televised football game?
I read it got its name from the first football game played in Guthrie early in the last century when a fight broke out going after a loose fumble that fell into a frozen creek.
OU recovered and prevailed 75-0.

Reactions: iasooner1
Someone answer this for me: is it true that it's OK law that OU is tied @ the hip to little brother or was that just urban legend ?
That is 100% fake news that Boren let spread for political pandering reasons.

Based on our well established state laws that were voted on by WE THE PEOPLE...

For OU to legally leave the Big 12 all that is required by state law is the OU president's approval and a simple majority vote by the OU Board of Regents...

There would not be one damn thing that anyone, including anyone in state government could do about blocking such a move.

I have a hard time believing OU officials would turn down hundreds of millions worth of new revenue and Big Ten benefits with all the improvements that would come,,,, just to stay in what this Big 12 has become.

Recruiting is basically the very last of my concerns.

People like Tramel don’t like the idea because he has a soft spot for OSU. He and other members of the media selfishly complain about OU moving to the Big Ten because of the increased time and travel distances.

Never mind what actually helps the university's academics.

Thanks heart; I remember gnashing of teeth over that little nugget on these types of threads on this board multiple times in the past. Maybe if such a move were considered after '25 it could be stipulated that only travel in the Western division would be done except for CCG games for the first 5 years or so...

Reactions: Soonerheart
This thread seems to forget that until Texas decides to make a move out of the Big 12 to another conference, OU won't either.

But having the opportunity to play Alabama, Georgia and Florida more often is really exciting for me personally. Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, not so much.

Just funnin' with ya' a little, but....

But having the opportunity to play MIchigan, Ohio State and Penn State more often is really exciting for me personally. Miss State, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, not so much.

Reactions: Oklabama
Just funnin' with ya' a little, but....

But having the opportunity to play MIchigan, Ohio State and Penn State more often is really exciting for me personally. Miss State, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, not so much.

Oh, I also should have mentioned LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M with the added bonus of kicking Arkansas' ass routinely...….come back. LOL

It’s the home conference schedule that is the problem....

along with softer ticket demand and the many million less that OU needs to stay competitive....

It’s not like OU has enough major donors to complete several major desired projects. OU is still paying off millions of dollars in debt from the south end zone project.
Part of that is having the annual, premiere neutral site game in college football. And that will never go away. And shouldn't.

One of the problems with OU fans, is not appreciating the value of Bedlam in football. It has become a great annual game.

This dissing of the Big XII and the grass is greener notion, is just another reason for complaining. And not a worthy one. I hear rightly, many complaints about ESPN and their fawning over the SEC. But many OU fans are nearly as guilty.

Reactions: mg1471
Part of that is having the annual, premiere neutral site game in college football. And t hat will never go away. And shouldn't.

One of the problems with OU fans, is not appreciating the value of Bedlam in football. It has become a great annual game.

This dissing of the Big XII and the grass is greener notion, is just another reason for complaining. And not a worthy one. I hear rightly, many complaints about ESPN and their fawning over the SEC. But many OU fans are nearly as guilty.

I hear you, Plaino, but my comments on the subject are basically a "what if we leave the Big 12" response. There is going to be that possibility coming up in a few years. That being so, what conference would you like to see us go to and why? There is no wrong answer but I value your input on this subject.

I would not be happy with a move to the Big Ten. If we are going to move conferences the only conference in my opinion to move to is the SEC.

Reactions: Tollboothmgr
Someone answer this for me: is it true that it's OK law that OU is tied @ the hip to little brother or was that just urban legend ?
This is a copy of an article posted on Crimsonandcreammachine in 2011, "So is OU really a package deal with OSU? Well, first off, is there a LEGAL requirement? No…it is not in the Oklahoma State Constitution, which I’ve actually spent time looking at when I was arguing last year that OU and OSU HAD to stay together." so, IA apparently, no. BUT i would have a hard time believing the legislators and the governor in this state would let OU go alone easily. no proof just years of listening to those who think they know.

The best place for OU is in the XII. It isn't likely to change. You think only about football, but the expense of sending non revenue sports on longer trips is a big consideration.

This year, the conference was the 2nd or 3rd best of the P5's in performance. And if Texas hadn't run out of running backs before LSU, and DB's during the game , they'd have beaten the Tigers pretty easily. Despite the personnel shortages, they hung in pretty well.

Softball and baseball would be ruined in a move to the Big 10. And OU has decided to stay away from the cheating in the SEC. Among other things.

The grass isn't greener.
Over 10, 20, 30 years are you willing to sacrifice literally hundreds of millions of dollars and have a better home schedule just so OU can stay in what this Big 12 has become....

OU could still win the Big Ten, make the playoffs with reasonable regularity.

I don’t believe responsible management at OU will pass up an opportunity to make so much more money and to have OU rubbing shoulders with some of the nation’s best universities

OU fans need to understand that a move to the Big Ten involves a lot more for OU than just sports.
Good grief.

Part of that is having the annual, premiere neutral site game in college football. And that will never go away. And shouldn't.

Long term the Big 12 can never stay financially competitive with the SEC or Big Ten base on too few eyeballs watching.

What many people in your camp fail to adequately understand is that OU will be forced out of the Big 12 by the growing revenue gap that will become many, many millions more in a few years with the new contracts.

The question then becomes where should OU move?

Sure, the SEC would be an improvement... But with the goals OU has as a research university the Big Ten is better deal for the entire university. The Big Ten money is likely to be the best available for both OU and Texas who will desire being in the same conference.

Money talks, the Big 12 BS is eventually going to walk based on matters of pure economics.

This is a copy of an article posted on Crimsonandcreammachine in 2011, "So is OU really a package deal with OSU? Well, first off, is there a LEGAL requirement? No…it is not in the Oklahoma State Constitution, which I’ve actually spent time looking at when I was arguing last year that OU and OSU HAD to stay together." so, IA apparently, no. BUT i would have a hard time believing the legislators and the governor in this state would let OU go alone easily. no proof just years of listening to those who think they know.
They may complain some... but our state laws that have been upheld by the states courts have long forbid the legislators or governor from interfering with any OU or OSU conference move. Our state laws and constitution would literally need to be changed by a vote of the people and that could easily be blocked by friendly OU people in our state government.

OU moving to the Big Ten could easily be sold as a better path for a lot more money and better academics.....When Oklahoma is dominated by OU fans only an elected fool would even say much.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT