ADVERTISEMENT

2020...Going Forward...

Senior Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 1, 2003
https://oklahoman.com/article/5644812/bedlam-in-october-oklahomas-2020-football-schedule-announced?no_edit=1&utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The Oklahoman breaking-news 2019-10-2214:15:49&utm_content=GTDT_OKC&utm_term=102219

NORMAN — Bedlam will be an October affair next season.

Oklahoma-Oklahoma State will be played Oct. 24 next season, Oklahoma announced Tuesday.

The last time Bedlam wasn't in November or December was 2004. The last time the game was this early was in 1998, when the game was also on Oct. 24.

Bedlam hasn't been this early in Norman since 1989, when the game was played Oct. 7.

The rest of the Sooners' 2020 schedule includes non conference games against Missouri State (Sept. 5), Tennessee (Sept. 12) before a trip to Army on Sept. 26.

The Big 12 schedule begins Oct. 3 at home against Baylor before the Sooners play Texas in Dallas a week later.

The regular-season schedule wraps up Nov. 28 at Texas Tech.

Oklahoma 2020 schedule
Sept. 5, Missouri State
Sept. 12, Tennessee
Sept. 26, at Army
Oct. 3, Baylor
Oct. 10, Texas
Oct. 17, at Iowa State
Oct. 24, Oklahoma State
Oct. 31, at TCU
Nov. 7, at West Virginia
Nov. 14, Kansas State
Nov. 21, Kansas
Nov. 28, at Texas Tech

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...99-2C-B3-5E-71-FA191022_094045OklahomaSooners

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
Another weak schedule. Probably littered with 11am games. Guess Rattler can have an easy road. One positive.

it is really sad what Tennessee has become because this could have been a premier matchup. I was really hoping that they made strides this year in the tune of something like 9-3.

army was a surprise last year but this year not so much at 5-3. Army won’t be considered a great matchup but it won’t be considered a bad one either.

Lets just hope the B12 opponents in conference games are all much better - except Texas as they can rot in hell.

it is really sad what Tennessee has become because this could have been a premier matchup. I was really hoping that they made strides this year in the tune of something like 9-3.

army was a surprise last year but this year not so much at 5-3. Army won’t be considered a great matchup but it won’t be considered a bad one either.

Lets just hope the B12 opponents in conference games are all much better - except Texas as they can rot in hell.

I really don’t see much radical change in the floating Big 12. If Shorthorns miss the Big 12 Championship I could see lots going into transfer protocol in that camp.

Year after year the Big 12 home OU schedule does nothing but become less appealing.

I wonder how much longer OU fans are going to keep showing up for this level of Big 12 competition?

It's difficult to see OU staying in the Big 12 past 2025 when the money jump would be huge if OU left for the SEC or Big Ten and the average home schedule would be many times better.

I've made this point all along...I don't care about an easier path to the playoffs through the Big 12. I have season tickets. I want to see LSU and or T A&M et al on Owen Field. I want to see Wisconsin and or Iowa et al on Owen Field. Being in an SEC or Big 10 WEST would be tremendous. Crossover games in the BIG would be better and SEC WEST games would be better but regardless, the schedule would be tremendous. Finally, I think it will help our recruiting, especially if we were in the SEC WEST, although I dont think it would suffer in the BIG. We are, unlike Nebraska, strategically situated as BAJA OKLAHOMA...right across the RED from a recruiting gold mine and now that we recruit nationally it's a moot point.

I've been telling the iowa folks for years if they want to be elite they have to dump scheduling mac and D2 teams. They are starving for 9-3 seasons and are going to be lucky to finish 7-5 again this year so all but maybe debbie would welcome us to the b1g west. BRING IT !

Reactions: Soonerheart
I've been telling the iowa folks for years if they want to be elite they have to dump scheduling mac and D2 teams. They are starving for 9-3 seasons and are going to be lucky to finish 7-5 again this year so all but maybe debbie would welcome us to the b1g west. BRING IT !

Some times I have to come back and see if anyone has replied to your post and hope they have deciphered your code. Lol

I've made this point all along...I don't care about an easier path to the playoffs through the Big 12. I have season tickets. I want to see LSU and or T A&M et al on Owen Field. I want to see Wisconsin and or Iowa et al on Owen Field. Being in an SEC or Big 10 WEST would be tremendous. Crossover games in the BIG would be better and SEC WEST games would be better but regardless, the schedule would be tremendous. Finally, I think it will help our recruiting, especially if we were in the SEC WEST, although I dont think it would suffer in the BIG. We are, unlike Nebraska, strategically situated as BAJA OKLAHOMA...right across the RED from a recruiting gold mine and now that we recruit nationally it's a moot point.
The entire key to a successful move out of the Big 12 for OU and Texas is if they both move to the same conference together.

Add the TV value of OU and Texas to the receiving conference and according to projections OU would roughly double it’s TV money within ten years. Even Texas would make a lot more money.

Boren didn’t want anything to do with the SEC...I do not know why that would have changed from an OU perspective... All indications are that Texas hasn’t wanted anything to do with the SEC.....

It seems likely that the most likely receiving conference would be the Big Ten who in addition to the huge money increases would offer a much better schedule on average and some great road venues. The Big Ten also offers significant academic and research benefits that the university president, BOR, Deans and professors would love.

Greener grass syndrome always bites you in the butt......

Let’s first see if we can win a playoff game before we look at playing playoff teams during the season....

The best place for OU is in the XII. It isn't likely to change. You think only about football, but the expense of sending non revenue sports on longer trips is a big consideration.

This year, the conference was the 2nd or 3rd best of the P5's in performance. And if Texas hadn't run out of running backs before LSU, and DB's during the game , they'd have beaten the Tigers pretty easily. Despite the personnel shortages, they hung in pretty well.

Softball and baseball would be ruined in a move to the Big 10. And OU has decided to stay away from the cheating in the SEC. Among other things.

The grass isn't greener.

Year after year the Big 12 home OU schedule does nothing but become less appealing.

I wonder how much longer OU fans are going to keep showing up for this level of Big 12 competition?

It's difficult to see OU staying in the Big 12 past 2025 when the money jump would be huge if OU left for the SEC or Big Ten and the average home schedule would be many times better.
You need to look at the name brand teams OU has played and who they will play.
And know that there isn't one team in college football who doesn't schedule a "cupcake" out-of-conference opponent at least once a year.....although I believe Baylor and Texas Tech do so excessively.
Through 2036, and with more teams to be scheduled along the way, OU has a future non-conference games with Tennessee, LSU, Army, Nebraska, Georgia,Michigan, Alabama and Clemson. There will be some "cupcake" opponents sprinkled in, but such is the case will every team.

You need to look at the name brand teams OU has played and who they will play.
And know that there isn't one team in college football who doesn't schedule a "cupcake" out-of-conference opponent at least once a year.....although I believe Baylor and Texas Tech do so excessively.
Through 2036, and with more teams to be scheduled along the way, OU has a future non-conference games with Tennessee, LSU, Army, Nebraska, Georgia,Michigan, Alabama and Clemson. There will be some "cupcake" opponents sprinkled in, but such is the case will every team.
It’s the home conference schedule that is the problem....

along with softer ticket demand and the many million less that OU needs to stay competitive....

It’s not like OU has enough major donors to complete several major desired projects. OU is still paying off millions of dollars in debt from the south end zone project.

The best place for OU is in the XII. It isn't likely to change. You think only about football, but the expense of sending non revenue sports on longer trips is a big consideration.

This year, the conference was the 2nd or 3rd best of the P5's in performance. And if Texas hadn't run out of running backs before LSU, and DB's during the game , they'd have beaten the Tigers pretty easily. Despite the personnel shortages, they hung in pretty well.

Softball and baseball would be ruined in a move to the Big 10. And OU has decided to stay away from the cheating in the SEC. Among other things.

The grass isn't greener.
Over 10, 20, 30 years are you willing to sacrifice literally hundreds of millions of dollars and have a better home schedule just so OU can stay in what this Big 12 has become....

OU could still win the Big Ten, make the playoffs with reasonable regularity.

I don’t believe responsible management at OU will pass up an opportunity to make so much more money and to have OU rubbing shoulders with some of the nation’s best universities

OU fans need to understand that a move to the Big Ten involves a lot more for OU than just sports.

The grass isn't greener.

Just curious but why do you think the softball team would suffer in such a move? OU is highly regarded in Softball and PG gets the best of the best. Sure the competition would be better but OU has proven that they can handle it by just looking at the way they schedule OOC now in that sport. I really don’t get why you believe that.

The baseball team hasn’t been great for years so moving to the 10 isn’t going to change that. As for football it would really help OU playing against NU again every year and renewing that rivalry would be awesome. I doubt OU would fall to the depths that NU has in that conference and the revenue that comes with that conf would be astronomical.

The only way I see a real future in the 12 is if all the other teams get much better and can maintain a national level of success year after year. Even if Texas didn’t follow its not like we still wouldnt play them every year.

I hate seeing FCS teams on the schedule and even though it may cost OU a shot at the playoffs from time to time I would love to see an OOC schedule of all P5 teams that are at least good to very good that could help offset the 12 disrespect by the media.

If we are being honest the best thing for CFB would be to form a Super Division where we would see great match-ups week after week and less weekly blowouts. Way to many one sided games in CFB.

If we are being honest the best thing for CFB would be to form a Super Division where we would see great match-ups week after week and less weekly blowouts. Way to many one sided games in CFB.

Too many fans rather go 12-0 with a just above average team more so than having a really good team that goes 9-3. A Super Conference would almost guarantee fewer undefeated, one and two loss teams each year. I don’t think some of us could handle going 9-3, 8-4 most years. I don’t pretend to say it would set too well with me either. I’m spoiled rotten. But that comes with being 73 and a life long Sooner fan. :)

Too many fans rather go 12-0 with a just above average team more so than having a really good team that goes 9-3. A Super Conference would almost guarantee fewer undefeated, one and two loss teams each year. I don’t think some of us could handle going 9-3, 8-4 most years. I don’t pretend to say it would set too well with me either. I’m spoiled rotten. But that comes with being 73 and a life long Sooner fan. :)

I agree with what you’re saying about not being able to handle as many losses if we were in a super conference

But OU is now at a point where we would keep winning big enough if OU was playing in the Big Ten.

It's the average number of TV eye's watching that determine contract values...Because the Big 12 has so many small fan bases the money / benefit growth rate curves of the Big Ten will far exceed that of the Big 12 no matter how much winning the Big 12 does.

We are talking enough money that over 20 or so years OU would be able to finish the football stadium build a new made for basketball arena and complete several other desired projects. The academic / research benefits possibilities over the decades would help OU in a great way.

With a low in state population base to recruit from if OU wants to maintain its football brand it must keep it’s facilities among the very best in the nation so that we can attract recruits from coast to coast.

I agree with what you’re saying about not being able to handle as many losses if we were in a super conference

But OU is now at a point where we would keep winning big enough if OU was playing in the Big Ten.

It's the average number of TV eye's watching that determine contract values...Because the Big 12 has so many small fan bases the money / benefit growth rate curves of the Big Ten will far exceed that of the Big 12 no matter how much winning the Big 12 does.

We are talking enough money that over 20 or so years OU would be able to finish the football stadium build a new made for basketball arena and complete several other desired projects. The academic / research benefits possibilities over the decades would help OU in a great way.

With a low in state population base to recruit from if OU wants to maintain its football brand it must keep it’s facilities among the very best in the nation so that we can attract recruits from coast to coast.

I was replying to the Super Conference suggestion. The Big Ten isn’t anywhere close to being a Super Conference but I agree with your opinion with regard to Oklahoma’s
chances of winning regularly in the Big Ten. We could compete in any conference, IMO. But no team would dominate a true Super Conference. Not Alabama. Not Clemson. Not Ohio State. Not Oklahoma. Now, each of these schools are dominating their respective conferences.

The only sport OU might suffer in with a move to the Big 10 is baseball.
I do not believe that is necessarily true.

Provided that we have hired good coaches as we have now.... Norman’s comparatively warmer weather and gradually improving academics should open up new recruiting doors. OU would have the money for a renovated baseball facility. We could have a larger recruiting budget and pay our coaches more money.

I attend most home OU baseball games. We have played home and home series with Minnesota Michigan and Ohio State. They are very capable of playing a good brands of college baseball.

Many Big Ten programs have built new baseball stadiums with their extra TV money they have made mostly from football and basketball.

I have frozen my butt off at plenty of home OU conference games in April. Last year OU played a game with ice hanging all over the backstop

A move to the Big 10 would diminish recruiting in the state of Texas, which has been and is Oklahoma's recruiting mecca.

I was replying to the Super Conference suggestion. The Big Ten isn’t anywhere close to being a Super Conference but I agree with your opinion with regard to Oklahoma’s
chances of winning regularly in the Big Ten. We could compete in any conference, IMO. But no team would dominate a true Super Conference. Not Alabama. Not Clemson. Not Ohio State. Not Oklahoma. Now, each of these schools are dominating their respective conferences.
OU moving to the Big Ten with Texas and not the SEC keeps OU winning at higher rates over the decades

Moving to the Big Ten with Texas is a financial bonanza for OU athletics and academics compared to staying in what this Big 12 is. The Big Ten also provides stability and would be a place where UT power to run things would be the same as others.

It may not be perfect but the Big Ten pays more attention to the attending fan...In the Big 12 virtually no consideration is given to attending football fans

Reactions: Soonerborn59
A move to the Big 10 would diminish recruiting in the state of Texas, which has been and is Oklahoma's recruiting mecca.
It’s 200 miles down I-35 to one of the nation’s hot beds of recruiting. OU is their best closest football experience.

OU recruits coast to coast as it is now.....Better Big Ten exposure cast an even larger net.

How many starters from Texas did OU have on its last national title team?

OU moving to the Big Ten with Texas and not the SEC keeps OU winning at higher rates over the decades

Moving to the Big Ten with Texas is a financial bonanza for OU athletics and academics compared to staying in what this Big 12 is. The Big Ten also provides stability and would be a place where UT power to run things would be the same as others.

It may not be perfect but the Big Ten pays more attention to the attending fan...In the Big 12 virtually no consideration is given to attending football fans

I don’t have a dog in this conference discussion but the SEC would seem to be a better fit for OU simply based on the current members. Arkansas, Missouri, A&M, LSU. If Texas joined too, that would be okay. I can take Texas or leave them as far as conference is concerned. I can’t argue the financial benefits between the SEC or Big Ten. But having the opportunity to play Alabama, Georgia and Florida more often is really exciting for me personally. Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, not so much.

I hear what you're laying down, 'Bama, but really good teams don't go 9-3. Not in my book. This ain't the NFL where everyone is professional and can kick another's ass any given day should they not chow on some dirt for breakfast. This is college. Cupcake competition 95% of the way through EVERYONE's schedule. Really good teams will NEVER have more than 1 loss.

It’s 200 miles down I-35 to one of the nation’s hot beds of recruiting. OU is their best closest football experience.

OU recruits coast to coast as it is now.....Better Big Ten exposure cast an even larger net.

How many starters from Texas did OU have on its last national title team?
That was one year and the Texans OU had on that 2000 team were vital and necessary to winning the championship:
Griffin
Fagan
Baysinger
Norman
Strait
Everage
Wilkerson
Remember too that Stoops was new to the recruiting in Texas those first 2-3 years and not until 2003 did you see the return of OU's usual haul of Texas players.
Since 2002, 42 % of OU's commitments have come from Texas high school boys.
OU has a very solid hold on the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, but how would that be affected by not playing games in the state of Texas ? Texas parents want to see their sons play in Texas and Oklahoma.....not Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois or Iowa. Rumor has it that it can get cold in these states come November, too.

Last edited:
I hear what you're laying down, 'Bama, but really good teams don't go 9-3. Not in my book. This ain't the NFL where everyone is professional and can kick another's ass any given day should they not chow on some dirt for breakfast. This is college. Cupcake competition 95% of the way through EVERYONE's schedule. Really good teams will NEVER have more than 1 loss.

Alphabetical: Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas, Wisconsin. Substitute as you may think another school will consistently have a quality team. Makes no difference. A Super Conference like this is going to challenge the best of teams. Two losses wouldn’t be too shabby. How many losses would OU have had in 2017 and 2018?

That was one year and the Texans OU had on that 2000 team were vital and necessary to winning the championship:
Griffin
Fagan
Baysinger
Norman
Strait
Everage
Wilkerson
Remember too that Stoops was new to the recruiting in Texas those first 2-3 years and not until 2003 did you see the return of OU's usual haul of Texas players.
Since 2002, 42 % of OU's commitments have come from Texas high school boys.
OU has a very solid hold on the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, but how would that be affected by not playing games in the state of Texas ? Texas parents want to see their sons play in Texas and Oklahoma.....not Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois or Iowa. Rumor has it that it can get cold in these states come November, too.
OU is not going to ever stop playing Texas in Dallas.....In the internet age, that's all the Texas exposser OU needs.

According to Tramel OU had 4 low recruited starters from Texas in the 2000 season.

Do you want better weekly games or do you prefer the weekly blowouts? I get what you are saying and even though I am only 60 I think it is time we separate the haves from the have nots. Every year outside of a few it is the same teams with a real shot at the NC and it never really changes. Very few Cinderellas come and go.

I don’t think it will ever happen in our lifetime we have left on this earth but in a Super Conference with equal scheduling most years 9-3 would be great years. Imagine a schedule with Alabama, USC, Ohio St etc etc and the revenue it would bring in for all those schools across the board.

The B12 is like every other conference where the same teams dominate it almost 80-90% every year. More competitive games equals more viewership.

OU is not going to ever stop playing Texas in Dallas.....In the internet age, that's all the Texas exposser OU needs.

According to Tramel OU had 4 low recruited starters from Texas in the 2000 season.
That Texas and OU could continue the rivalry is true, but when OU plays far away from home, it would have a bearing on family and friends, especially in Texas and Oklahoma, not being able to attend to those games away from Norman.
Griffin, Fagan, Norman, Fisher and Strait were 5 Texans that made #7 possible. It would not have happened without them.

I simply dont understand how moving to the Big 10 will hurt our Texas recruiting. We just lost a Texas state decommit to TOSU. When we played them in Columbus in '17 their starting QB and RB were both from Texas. If TOSU can recruit the state surely we can continue to have success in Texas.

I agree. The program is the draw, not where teams play their conference away games anymore. I’m sure it was 15-20 years ago but not today. Otherwise we wouldn’t be getting guys like Spencer Rattler. We recruit well in Texas because we have decades of inroads, contacts and success doing so. Changing conferences, especially going to a better conference, wouldn’t change our Texas recruiting to a large degree, in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT