ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Sooner State Rankings: New Guy Breaks it Down (30-21)

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
#30 Tulsa Edison OL Alex CriddleTulane Commit

+
Criddle is a mauler. It’s easy to see how the Tulane commitment has picked up offers from the Big Ten and SEC. Fires off the ball and he not only dominates at the point of attack, but continue to drive his legs, and consequently his man, backwards.

-
Most of the Tulsa Edison standout’s tape is on defense. And while he continually collapses any chance for a pocket by backpedaling interior linemen, it is clear that Criddle’s future is on offense. Would like to see more examples of him playing guard. Can play stiff and looks lumbering and slow when running (even though he is quick for his size in short bursts).

Verdict: Criddle has the skillset to be a quality guard in an offense that allows him to fire off the ball.

#29 Mustang TE Blake Williams

+
When I watched Blake Williams and Mustang take on Edmond Memorial, Williams was instrumental in sparking the Broncos in the second half with a 41-yard touchdown reception where it looked like the safety was surprised by Williams’ speed. It was extremely reminiscent of the play below from his junior reel. You can see that the defensive back responsible for that size just does not anticipate Williams being that fast. Can play h-back or in-line tight end. Willing and able blocker with good size.

EnviousDismalIlladopsis.gif

-
Can disappear at times in games. Hasn’t played a ton of football due to some medical problems in the past.

Verdict: Could be a special tight end if he continues to translate his measurable to on-field success.

#28 Owasso DE Caleb Colvin

+
Younger brother of former Sooner cornerback Aaron Colvin, so you have to like the pedigree. Plays with good instincts and never allows himself to be out of the play. Uses multiple pass rush moves in order to gain pressure. Colvin will be patient in the run game and maintain his fits.

-
Not ideal size, but big enough at 6-3, 260. Colvin’s feet can sometimes look sloppy and slow especially when compared to how active his hands are.

Verdict: I see Colvin as a solid, but not overwhelming defensive end. Reminds me somewhat of former Sooner Chuka Ndulue.

#27 Booker T. Washington WR Tariq Bitson

+
Bitson is a tall receiver with a large catching radius. He’s someone that Booker T. Washington gives plenty of opportunities to make contested catches and he often rewards their faith. Great body control and will adjust to balls in the air.

-
Not going to make too many guys miss after the catch. There just isn’t much wiggle in Bitson’s game. He’s not going to be a blazing fast long strider either, but there’s enough speed there to do the job.

Verdict: Bitson is a receiver with a great frame and makes tough catches. That alone should garner some attention from colleges.

#26 Casady DB Max Wariboko

+

Wariboko has the feel of an athlete just making plays at the cornerback position. He diagnoses offenses well, puts himself in the right position, and then has terrific ball skills to make plays once in position. I love that there are so many big plays on his tape that have a chance to change the complexion of a game.

-
He doesn’t have great length, flexible hips, and elite speed that would make him a top shelf prospect at the position. Will be better in a zone scheme than when left on an island.

Verdict: Playmaker at corner, even if his upside is fairly limited.

#25 Mustang QB Chandler GarrettWyoming Commit

+
Garrett has all the tools you want in a quarterback. He has ideal height, size, arm strength, and some surprising mobility. I watched him lead a comeback victory over Edmond Memorial where Garrett was slicing passes through a heavy wind that rendered the Bulldogs passing game anemic. He also made multiple impressive throws to open space of guys that looked like they were covered.

-
In that same game versus Edmond Memorial, Garrett threw two unnecessary interceptions that allowed Memorial to have the lead at halftime. That's the fine line of managing such a high skill-set - knowing when to take those chances. It can be frustrating watching Garrett because he has worlds of talent, but will put himself in bad situations and force throws he has no business forcing. I would like to see him prove he can protect the football as well as sling it.

Verdict: Big strong quarterback with mobility who is at his best when he’s settled down and let’s the game come to him.

#24 Heritage Hall OL Luther Harris

+
Harris is another Oklahoma preps behemoth on the offensive line who loves to knock defenders on their backsides. He is just a massive, massive human being who will overpower defenders. One thing I also love is that Harris isn’t a plodder and will get out into the second level.

-
Like most guys with that size, Harris struggles with his knee bend. Also, sometimes it’s like he just expects his shoves to knock guys down, and to his credit most of the time they do. But I wonder how well he’ll do with quicker guys that can also withstand his strength.

Verdict: Really a fan of Harris’ game. Just enjoy watching him pancaking a guy (or two) on nearly every play.

GargantuanPoshAzurewingedmagpie.gif

#23 Edmond Santa Fe RB Darran Williams

+
Wow. How does Williams not have any offers? He’s a complete back with great burst, vision, speed, and will fight to the finish for every yard he can get. A lot of backs like to dance too much, but Williams knows when to get north/south and seems to surprise defenders with his aggressive running style. Watch him run through tackles on this run and instead of trying to bounce it outside and give the safeties a chance at an angle like a lot of guys his age would do, he immediately cuts up field and bursts through the back-end of the defense before they realized what happened.

NervousEarlyCur.gif

-

His change of direction skills aren’t elite, but his subtle moves are enough to set up defenders. Even though Williams can turn a mundane looking run to a 50-yarder with ease, he doesn’t possess elite game-changing speed.

Verdict: I really am flabbergasted by Williams’ lack of offers. One of the best and most complete backs in the state.

#22 Booker T. Washington DB Kyle MayberryKansas Commit

+
Mayberry looks like your traditional lockdown corner. Great athlete who will flip his hips and run with you and has terrific closing speed once the ball is in the air. Mayberry has quality ball skills, which isn’t a surprise, since he shines on offense. Competitive and high energy football player.

-
Not ideal height or length. Will have to rely on recovery speed rather than manhandling guys at the line.

Verdict: Corners who can run with receivers and cover them one-on-one are highly valuable. His list of 16 offers will continue to grow if he has a stellar senior season.

#21 Checotah WR Drew Dan

+
Checotah exports American Idol winners and now receivers with two first names. Dan makes his smooth, gliding style of running look effortless. High points the ball well and will make contested catches. I think he could develop into a complete receiver and not just a go route/screen threat with the crispness he runs his routes.

-
Wanted to see him dominate his level of competition more with the skill-set Dan possesses. Won’t blow you away with his change of direction.

Verdict: Reminds me a lot, in style of play only, of former Oklahoma receiver Kenny Stills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.