1 SS Coleman (24)
2 CF Mendes (11)
3 C. Hansen (9)
4 RF Green (21)
5 1B/2B Snow (5)
6 3B E. Flores (15)
7 2B/1B Donihoo (12)

P May (4)

Left field for both teams is ad hoc. Romero played left for a couple of innings. I think Pogue might be playing left now.

Grey Lineup
===
1 2B Jennings (24)
2 3B Johns (12)
3 ?? Alo (78)
4 SS Lyons (3)
5 C. Elam (22)
6 1B Puni (33)
7 CF A. Flores (27)
8 RF Knight (25)

P Saile (4)

It doesn't look like Alo is playing in the field.
I also haven't seen Koeltzow. Boone is in civis with a brace on her right knee.

I watched the scrimmage today and have these thoughts.

Kinsey Koeltzow was no where to be seen today. Rylie Boone was in shorts with a brace on her injured knee. That is not a positive sign for Boone. I had heard it reported that she was cleared to play around the start of school a month or so ago.

Jocelyn Alo did play LF in the first two innings I believe. She did not after that however. Raylee Pogue became the designated LF for both teams starting in the 3rd inning. Syd Romero played LF for the Red team in the first two innings. Pogue must have had a conflict for the first two innings. It is strange that Pogue did not bat at all.

Let's go with pitching first:
- Shannon Saile was Saile sorta. She allowed 3 hits in 4.1 innings. She only had 2 Ks but no walks or HB. That is maybe a B+ for her. Her windup is somewhere between the old Saile and the new Saile. Her velocity and location was good. She started for the Gray team. She also came back in to finish the 7th for the last out to seal the win. It was exciting though as Jayda Coleman hit a deep fly to left that was 5 feet from a grand slam to tie the game.

- Nicole May started for the Red team. She pitched pretty well except for 3 pitches. She allowed solo HR's to Jennings, Elam and A Flores. She gave up one other single. She had 5 K with 0 walks and HB. That is probably a C+ for May.

- Olivia Rains finished the game for the Red team and really did not look like the really good Rains from last year in the first two innings she pitched. She gave up 6 hits with a HB and 2 doubles allowing 3 runs in those innings. She pitched a 1-2-3 inning in the 7th however with a K. I will say that the Gray team was pretty stacked though. I guess that is a C- for Rains though because she just did not look confident to me.

- Macy McAdoo tried to finished for the Gray team and pitched 2.2 innings. She allowed 3 hits, 5 walks and a HB with 0 Ks. Her control was not real good today. I did think that she threw the hardest of the four pitchers though. She got a lot of help from the Gray defense as she picked up two double plays from the Jennings-Lyons duo. Of the four pitchers that pitched she had the least impressive outing.

Defense:
Jana Johns made one good backhanded play down the line at 3B. Another hard hit ball was off her chest that she she hustled to make a close play at first on Grace Green. She also was in position to make the tag on a pop fly behind the plate that Elam caught and threw out Coleman trying to move up on the fly ball out. I did think that she was slow covering a bunt by Coleman to start the bottom of the first innings though.

Tiare Jennings made two really good plays at 2B. The first was on a ground ball to her left at second base. With a runner (Donihoo) she fielded the ball and turned to make the play at 2B for the out. Really nice. Later she was in position to field a line drive off Coleman's bat and threw behind the runner at 2B for the double play to Lyons who was right where she should be.

Mackenzie Donihoo made a good play on a liner to her right that she drop-stepped on and made a nice jumping/diving catch.

Grace Lyons made a nice running catch in shallow left field behind 3B also. Lyons also had a nice unassisted double play on a ground ball to her left where she tagged second and threw to first. Lyons get rid on the ball very quickly at SS. I do not see Lyons playing anywhere else but SS.

Lynnsie Elam was alert on the foul pop to see Coleman trying to take a base and threw a strike to Johns for the tag play. Elam also made a very nice hustle play and dive on a wild pitch where she retrieved the ball at the backstop and tagged out Snow trying to score.

Jayda Coleman played SS well making the catch on a shallow ball to left field and a grounder to her left that she backhanded and threw to first. She can play SS, but Lyons is really good.

Zaida Puni also made a good play on a grounder to her right at first base where she fielded the ground ball and returned to the bag for the tag and the out against Mendes.

Nicole Mendes made a couple good plays in CF. The best was a ball against the fence in LC that she made look pretty easy off of Jennings.

Taylon Snow, playing 2B and 1B, made a nice running catch on a popup on the infield that probably was not her ball to catch but she took charge and made the play.

I thought Grace Green could have made a play in RF on a foul ball that she just couldn't get in the glove. If she has to move a ways to get to the fly balls, she struggles a bit.

Raylee Pogue could have made two better plays in left field. One was a single that she threw to 3B instead of Lyons or 2B to keep a running from moving up to 2B. She also could have caught a ball in LC off of Lyons. I think at OU, those two plays should be better.

Eliyah Flores made the only error of the game on a slow awkward grounder down the line at 3B. She just never got in front of the ball.

Hitting:
Red Team
Jayda Coleman - 1/5 bunt single with two deep fly outs to left.
Nicole Mendes - 2/4 with a single and a bunt single.
Kinzie Hansen - 0/4. Don't worry, she will hit.
Grace Green - 2/4 with two hard hit singles.
Taylon Snow - 0/2 with two walks. Romero robbed her of a slap single in the 2nd inning.
Eliyah Flores - 1/3 with a single, RBI and a HBP.
Mackenzie Donihoo - 0/1 with 3 walks and an RBI.

Gray team
Tiare Jennings - 1/5 with a deep solo HR, RBI, 2 Ks and a warning track fly ball.
Jana Johns - 1/5 with a single and an RBI.
Jocelyn Alo - 1/4 with a rope single to LC.
Grace Lyons - 2/4 with a single, double, RBI and a K.
Lynnsie Elam - 2/4 with a double, HR, 2 RBIs.
Zaida Puni - 1/3 with a single and HBP.
Alycia Flores - 2/4 with a solo HR, RBI and a single. She had a nice game at the plate.
Paige Knight - 0/4 with 2 Ks.

Observations:
- Jennings could be the player to play 2B.
- Puni may only play 1B or DH.
- Green in RF is still a work in progress. She maybe plays 1B or DH.
- Mendes looks ready to play.
- Elam caught Saile and McAdoo. Hansen caught May and Rains. That is good chemistry I think with pitcher/catcher in a platoon situation as catcher. Hansen caught Rains and May with the Batbusters.
- Alo still has a 'tender' knee. I noticed this allot in 2020. This may move her to more of a DH role at times. But a 3rd OF is needed to do that.
- I have thought that Pogue could be a sleeper on this team. Her play in LF, did not help that thought.
- I thought all 6 pitchers (Brooke Vestal and Alanna Thiede) might pitch. We should see them next Friday I hope.
- 'G' Juarez was on the field helping with pitchers stats and charting pitches as were Vestal and Thiede.

It was a nice treat to see the Sooners play on a beautiful day. I am looking forward to the next three Fridays as they play three more scrimmages.

One new thing - the team has white, grey and blue bats. I have recently only seen white bats used

Another source....
May looks like she'll be the 3rd pitcher behind Juarez and and Saile. They hit some bombs on her but besides that she kept them off balance and had good control. Off speed looked really good.

Jayda Coleman is really fast. She dropped a bunt and beat it out pretty easily. She also hit a long foul ball to show off her power. She also showed she's a player at short stop robbing a hit on a soft line drive over her head.

Tiare Jennings is playing somewhere. She hammered the ball completely over the bleachers. She didn't get another hit but almost hit a 2nd homerun.

Its going to be interesting to see how the Jennings, Coleman, Snow, Johns, Lyons crowd works out at 3B, 2B, and short stop. I feel all of them need to play.

I didn't realize how young this OU team is. Seems like everytime I looked up it was a freshman pitcher and freshman batter(some 2nd year freshman).

This team is going to be stacked and deep for years to come. You could argue this was a top 10 vs a top 15 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News