ADVERTISEMENT

10 Immediate Post-game Thoughts: Texas

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015

AD Miller
and Dahu Green were in early and after Miller drew a pass interference call it looked like Oklahoma was set to utilize their length advantage. I’m not sure what happened with that game plan, unless it was just a casualty of the porous offensive line play.

Getting ahead of the chains and into your opponent’s territory followed by a reverse is poor play calling. The risks far outweigh the rewards there.

The play-calling needs to start resembling the talent in its personnel. It’s hard to make sense of Sterling Shepard, Joe Mixon, and Mark Andrews going an entire first quarter without getting a single touch and only one target. Daniel Brooks was given a carry before Mixon.

Speaking of Mark Andrews - he had zero receptions. Despite the avalanche of linebacker blitzes that Texas threw at Oklahoma exposing the middle of the field. Zero.

There were so many problems for Oklahoma today that it’s hard to judge how much affect this had on the game, but how can you not have a greater appreciation for what Devante Bond brings to the defense after watching that performance.

I know none of you want to hear this right now, but fans are funnier when they are losing. It’s equivalent to the idea that attractive people aren’t very funny. We all like to laugh at each other’s pain. Embrace it. Humor is a much more productive and enjoyable coping mechanism than rage.

Even though the Sooners lost the game, the Mayfield run on 4th and 8 on the drive that pulled Oklahoma to 17-24 was nails. In fact, that kid is nails. It wasn’t a great performance, but you have to respect the way that kid plays the game. Not many would have hung in as admirably behind that line.

Once it became apparent OU’s offensive line was not going to hold up there was no need to continue with all of the long routes and unnecessarily deep drops. It looked to me like every time Lincoln Riley tried a screen or stretch run it was a positive play for Oklahoma. You exploit those avenues enough then Texas has to back off its pressure with their linebackers on the interior line.

A timeout at the start of the 4th quarter is not only egregious, but it’s also unnecessary. Take the 12-men on the field penalty and save a crucial 4th quarter timeout when you’re going to need to make up a few scores. You’re going to learn this is a huge pet peeve of mine. The value of a 2nd half timeout is worth so much more than a few yards.

Most concerning stretch of the game for me if I’m a Sooner fan? Oklahoma is down 17-24 with under five minutes to go. Texas only has 55 passing yards for the game and everyone in the world knows they are about to try and run the football. And Oklahoma sends out a seven-man front and is bowled over by the Longhorns as they closed out the game with multiple first downs. That’s embarrassing stuff.

Bonus
Be sad. Be upset. Cope how you want. If you’re an adult, drink until you can’t remember the game if you want to. Just remember:

- It’s not anyone in your family’s fault Oklahoma lost.

- It’s not your pet’s fault Oklahoma lost.

- It’s not any fellow sports fan’s fault Oklahoma lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News