ADVERTISEMENT

10 Immediate Post-game Thoughts: Texas Tech

Joe_DuVall

Sooner starter
Staff
Sep 3, 2015
My deepest condolences to the Stillwater community and all affected by the tragic events today. “Today, the streets of heaven are over-crowded with angels.”

Immediately after the Zack Sanchez injury, Ahmad Thomas breaks up a pass on 3rd and 4 (that was very close to being a catch and fumble). It was the kind of play that Oklahoma needed at the time and probably sparked some confidence in that secondary.

Marcus Green
- Out
P.J. Mbanasor - Out
Stanvon Taylor - Out

In comes 157-pound junior cornerback Dakota Austin, who was thrust into a difficult situation after Sanchez’s opening-drive injury. Although he’s not the most gifted tackler, Austin consistently would do just enough to get his man to the ground and would actually finish as the Sooners second leading tackler with 11. His crucial interception in the end zone at the end of the first half also provided his team some much needed momentum going into the locker room.

This was clearly an emotional game for Baker Mayfield and I thought you could see it in his play early - whether it was chirping with defensive linemen or fumbling handoffs. However, I thought the Oklahoma defense did a terrific job allowing Mayfield to get settled into the game and gain confidence by shutting down Texas Tech on their first few drives and then with the Eric Striker interception. It gave the Sooners an early lead that allowed them to be able to exploit Texas Tech’s horrific run defense.

Jarvis Baxter
’s fumble reminded me of the Dede Westbrook fumble that he ended up recovering late in the Tennessee game. These games are so often teetering on this swing moments where it literally can come down to the bounce of an oblong sphere. Texas Tech was staring a 25-point deficit in the face, but cashed in on the turnover with a TD to make it 21-10 and then eventually 21-17. The best way to avoid those bounces? Holding on to the football.

My favorite almost stat of the day: Joe Mixon was just 4 yards shy of breaking the Oklahoma record for most rushing yards by someone whose teammate rushed for over 200 yards.

1978 vs. Colorado

Billy Sims231

Kenny King157

2015 vs. Texas Tech

Samaje Perine201

Joe Mixon154

I'm going to sneak some praise for a pair of freshmen into this thought, LT Orlando Brown and RT Dru Samia, who not only played well, but dominated the line of scrimmage from start to finish.

At halftime Oklahoma had endured the Baxter fumble, Mayfield interception, Dahu Green drop, Austin Seibert missed FG, and still lead by 11. At that point, I felt pretty good about their chances to pull away in the second half and is truly a testament to the attitude the entire team had after the Sanchez injury and really since the Texas loss.

Oklahoma was once one of the worst teams in the country in terms of penalties per game, but they weren’t flagged today until well into the third quarter. The Sooners finished with only three penalties.

@josh_m hit the nail on the head earlier in the week when he proclaimed that Oklahoma’s defense needed to stay back, be patient, and force Texas Tech to sustain drives. That style of defense is something that many have criticized Mike Stoops for in the past, but it really paid dividends today as the Red Raider had only one touchdown drive of longer than 32 yards.

Charles Walker
had a sack you just won’t see many guys his size making running down a very gifted runner in Patrick Mahomes. Yet, one part of that play that may have gone unnoticed was Marquise Overton destroying any semblance of a pocket and forcing Mahomes to roll out in the first place. Overton is becoming a guy you just have to find a way to get on the field. For all of the hype that Breiden Fehoko received last year, it was probably satisfying for Sooner fans to watch Marquise Overton be the best looking freshman DT on the field today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.