ADVERTISEMENT

you would think the frogs

Yeah, they're not really horned frogs. They are horny toads.

Yep, used to live in Lawton. Those things were everywhere on the fringes of the city. Caught a bunch of them on a given Saturday.

Funny, for whatever reason according to the locals, they aren't as abundant as they were when I was there. Curious...:eek:

Absolutely. I lived out on the very west end of town. Lots of horny toads (wasn't unusual for me to be carrying one around with me) and lots of tumbleweeds. Ah, the good ol' days. The farm ponds I used to fish are covered with houses now.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
Absolutely. I lived out on the very west end of town. Lots of horny toads (wasn't unusual for me to be carrying one around with me) and lots of tumbleweeds. Ah, the good ol' days. The farm ponds I used to fish are covered with houses now.

Ah, the memories...
Lots of tumbleweeds.
Sometimes during those windy springs, we'd get some of those Texas Tech grade, huge tumbleweeds coming into the neighborhood.

Hell, I remember some woman dodging one and hitting a parked car...silly women.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: veritas59
Haven't seen a horned toad around Waco in decades. Some locals credit fire ants. Big red ants are gone, too.

The locals call them far ain'ts.

Interesting that you posted this, because I was wondering the same thing about the fire ants. When I lived in East Texas back in the late 90's, the fire ants had eradicated the tick population. Those things are brutal, for sure. You don't even know they're on you until they all bite at the same time. They have been known to kill small mammals, but I'm not sure how effective they are on that scaly armor on a horned lizard. Different ants, but here's what I saw last night when that question popped into my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT