ADVERTISEMENT

You guys have a great team.

Dec 10, 2015
That being said the broadcaster say Mayfield is your most beloved player. Personally I am close to 50 and I clearly remember the Bosworth era and felt he did more for Oklahoma than anyone. Yes. He had some issues at that time but he grew and became a solid man. His character brought much recognition to your program. I remember those games with Miami. Have them on dvd along with the games against Steve Taylor's Nebraska teams. Just curious on your thoughts about the two players and their impact?

Mayfield was a bigger part IMO than Bosworth. That defense was stacked. If you put this year's offense with that defense, there would be nothing left to put on the bus from whence they came.

Good point. The defense was as good the following year without him.

Biggest difference in the two is that it seems all of the players and coaches love Baker. That wasn't the case with Bosworth.

Reactions: iasooner1
Good point. The defense was as good the following year without him.

Just another testimony to how good those stacked defenses were, Boz was replaced by Dante Jones in the Orange Bowl when Boz got suspended. Why is that significant?
Dante Jones was MVP of that Orange Bowl (apparently co-MVP with Spencer Tilman).

Just another testimony to how good those stacked defenses were, Boz was replaced by Dante Jones in the Orange Bowl when Boz got suspended. Why is that significant?
Dante Jones was MVP of that Orange Bowl (apparently co-MVP with Spencer Tilman).

Dante was already a starter. But yes, we were deep.

The defenses that OU had in the 80's were stacked. A lot of players from those teams went on and had great NFL careers. Dante I believe played with the Bears and the Broncos.

It was also easier to play defense back then. They did not have all these rules. I was watching old games and they were much more physical and execution was much better. They had more practice time back then.

Yes that is true...they had so many different rules back then. Barry worked his crews in smartly...aside from Miami (who seemed to own us) his coaching was near flawless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT