ADVERTISEMENT

Yogi turns 90 today

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
I grew up in the 50s and 60s and maybe very much like today, you either hated the Yankees or loved them. My dad taught me to pull for underdogs and to hate the Yankees. And I did.

As I grew older, I have never changed that. But there were two Yankee stars from my childhood that I came to respect and admire. And that admiration has grown over the years. One was Roger Maris, because he was a man of quiet, even underrated excellence. The other was Yogi Berra.

May 12 is his 90th birthday. Though he was older than Maris and Mantle, he outlived both. He was real and has become almost beloved for his simplistic statements of truth.

It really is not over til it is over, just as Yogi claimed. Happy birthday Yogi. We are glad it is not over for you, just yet.

As a lifelong Yankees fan it's my belief that no other Yankee will be mourned as much as Berra when his time comes. He is beloved by everyone and his fame transcends baseball.
My dad, who was an Oklahoman, loved the Yankees and especially Mickey Mantle, who is my all time favorite player. When we lived in NYC from 1955-56, he took my grandfather to a Yankees game on May 30, 1956....in the game where Mantle hit the top of the right field facade. My grandfather had never been to a major league game up until then.
Yogi and Whitey are now the last of the golden era from 1947-1964, a run that will never be repeated by any team, in a way, much like the 47 game winning streak by OU from 1953-57.
To me, Maris was one of baseball's most underrated players ever, even with his feat of 61 homers in 1961. He was fundamentally solid, could play center field on occasion, and was a clutch performer....and unlike Mantle, he had two healthy legs and took care of himself.

As a lifelong Yankees fan it's my belief that no other Yankee will be mourned as much as Berra when his time comes. He is beloved by everyone and his fame transcends baseball.
My dad, who was an Oklahoman, loved the Yankees and especially Mickey Mantle, who is my all time favorite player. When we lived in NYC from 1955-56, he took my grandfather to a Yankees game on May 30, 1956....in the game where Mantle hit the top of the right field facade. My grandfather had never been to a major league game up until then.
Yogi and Whitey are now the last of the golden era from 1947-1964, a run that will never be repeated by any team, in a way, much like the 47 game winning streak by OU from 1953-57.
To me, Maris was one of baseball's most underrated players ever, even with his feat of 61 homers in 1961. He was fundamentally solid, could play center field on occasion, and was a clutch performer....and unlike Mantle, he had two healthy legs and took care of himself.

Keep in mind, I'm the opposite of a Yankee fan, but I think it's ridiculous that Maris is not in the HoF. Mickey said in the special about him on PBS, that Maris was the best player he ever played with. When you consider all the guys he played with over the years..... Maris was a back to back MVP in 60 and 61. How he is not in the Hall of Fame is amazing. From 1960 to 1968 he played on the team that went to the World Series seven times in nine years. He was just a winner.

Keep in mind, I'm the opposite of a Yankee fan, but I think it's ridiculous that Maris is not in the HoF. Mickey said in the special about him on PBS, that Maris was the best player he ever played with. When you consider all the guys he played with over the years..... Maris was a back to back MVP in 60 and 61. How he is not in the Hall of Fame is amazing. From 1960 to 1968 he played on the team that went to the World Series seven times in nine years. He was just a winner.
Maris should have been a HOF player, but his number "9" has been retired by the Yankees and there is a plaque for him in Yankee Stadium's Monument Park, dedicated to him in 1984, one year before he died. When told about it, Maris was surprised and very happy. At Cooperstown, his 61st home run bat is on display.
In his last World Series in 1968 with St.Louis, he had his best performance in Series play, hitting .385 with a home run and 7 rbi's.
It means nothing to me that his single season home run record has been fraudulently eclipsed by Sosa, McGuire and Barry Bonds.....three men who hopefully have sacrificed certain HOF entries forever.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Mickey Mantle was my favorite also. I was a yankee fan due to mickey. Everyone loved yogi. Happy birthday Yogi

Mickey Mantle was my favorite also. I was a yankee fan due to mickey. Everyone loved yogi. Happy birthday Yogi
Mantle was a great example of why we should live each day as if it were our last. That is, don't make decisions now that will take away a good life and good friends/family relationships in the future. Mantle realized this too late in life and was profoundly remorseful over his mistakes....as a husband, a father and a role model....throughout his life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT