ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo's front page article on the suspensions

If what they did was not serious enough to warrant dismissal, and apparently not serious enough to warrant suspension from the NC game should the team make it, then why the fvck can't we as fans get the "why" of it? We're the ones who are ultimately paying the bills, after all. If OU is going to give the game away before it starts, shouldn't we at least know why?

If what they did was not serious enough to warrant dismissal, and apparently not serious enough to warrant suspension from the NC game should the team make it, then why the fvck can't we as fans get the "why" of it? We're the ones who are ultimately paying the bills, after all. If OU is going to give the game away before it starts, shouldn't we at least know why?
You could not be more wrong. You have NOTHING to do with this process. These kids have legal rights. They have rights for you not no know. This is an educational process at it's core.

Like so many important things in life, it's not about you. The selfishness ethic commonly taught in education these days might lead you to believe that you have that right. But you don't.
Apparently these kids smoked a little grass, which isn't exactly a shock. But they should have been smart enough to understand that drug testing accompanies getting to the CFP.
They should have chosen their spots more carefully. It is against NCAA rules in championships, no matter the state laws.

But their "screwing up" doesn't have to be paraded out their because to perceive that a game ticket purchase gives you a right to know? You don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyRay
You could not be more wrong. You have NOTHING to do with this process. These kids have legal rights. They have rights for you not no know. This is an educational process at it's core.

Like so many important things in life, it's not about you. The selfishness ethic commonly taught in education these days might lead you to believe that you have that right. But you don't.
Apparently these kids smoked a little grass, which isn't exactly a shock. But they should have been smart enough to understand that drug testing accompanies getting to the CFP.
They should have chosen their spots more carefully. It is against NCAA rules in championships, no matter the state laws.

But their "screwing up" doesn't have to be paraded out their because to perceive that a game ticket purchase gives you a right to know? You don't.

So you have a standing knowledge of law regarding public figures and public records requests as well as State funded scholarship monies being provided to athletes who violate school, program, and/or State policies (law)?

So you have a standing knowledge of law regarding public figures and public records requests as well as State funded scholarship monies being provided to athletes who violate school, program, and/or State policies (law)?
Drug tests are covered by HIPPA laws are they not?

Drug tests are covered by HIPPA laws are they not?

I don't know I guess Plaino knows. I would note that college and football players' failed drug tests are made public on a very regular basis. Further I am not sure if there is a waiver connected due to scholarship and/or school policy. My main problem is the all knowing attitude of some combined with the absolute dismissal of other opinions.

I don't know I guess Plaino knows. I would note that college and football players' failed drug tests are made public on a very regular basis. Further I am not sure if there is a waiver connected due to scholarship and/or school policy. My main problem is the all knowing attitude of some combined with the absolute dismissal of other opinions.
Commonly after the process. There is also a game to be played. The less info that is public,the easier it is for us to survive this.

If somebody called for LR posting our game plan online, do you believe you have a right to see that?

Drug tests are part of a student's medical history. You have no right to the details.

Commonly after the process. There is also a game to be played. The less info that is public,the easier it is for us to survive this.

If somebody called for LR posting our game plan online, do you believe you have a right to see that?

Drug tests are part of a student's medical history. You have no right to the details.

So you don't know but are comfortable dressing someone down? Drug tests (failed/passed) are made public on a regular basis.

The example of a Coach posting their game plan online to appease the public relative to a suspension of a player is a straw man argument...and yes that is a legal argument. Your knowledge of sports and experience is greatly appreciated, your lack of respect and courtesy is not.

So you don't know but are comfortable dressing someone down? Drug tests (failed/passed) are made public on a regular basis.

The example of a Coach posting their game plan online to appease the public relative to a suspension of a player is a straw man argument...and yes that is a legal argument. Your knowledge of sports and experience is greatly appreciated, your lack of respect and courtesy is not.

SS you must be new

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner

Not during the process. Not before the national semifinals.

This isn't the NFL.This info should be out at the discretion of the player and the coaching staff.

How is divulging info that aides OUr opponents a "public service." ?When players mess up, and are suspended by the team before the season opener against East Popcorn State, they never say it was for drugs, and the info that they will be suspended is close to never out there before the game is played. Just the hc afterward telling us, "a violation of team rules." That's with nothing much on the line.

This game, even less reason for it to be out there. Unless you're an LSU fan.

Your view, according to the medical ethics stuff I looked up online, is to view the athletes as commodities. Common, but unethical in the NFL. College is a whole different animal. But even the NFL doesn't say anything about drug suspensions being that with any specificity. They just announce a suspension of X number of games, and the length allows media to infer what's going on.

While there are plenty of people who accuse NCAA member institutions of making the players commodities, it's not really true, though that's another issue.

You somehow claim you have a right to know about somebody else, because they play for your favorite team. You can make that claim in our 21st century skewed view of ethics. Basically, if I want it, I'm entitled to have it. Screw the guy that it affects. But there are legal ramifications to the schools, and they can be sued for not acting carefully.

The issue I'm defending here isn't that the info won't get out there. But there was a claim here that OU was acting against the public interest by not announcing what was happening. That is nonsense.

I’ll say this, I’m not going to the game but to those who are and spent alot of money to hopefully see us have at least a decent shot of beating LSU, I’d be pissed as hell. With as little proven depth at DE as we have Perkins is a major loss, he was our biggest disrupter and most capable of making Burrow uncomfortable. I’m now expecting to see Burrow sit back and have his way with us 90% of the time. Someone please tell me I’m way off and have no idea what I’m talking about.

Bullshyt. No one has a constitutional right to be on a football team. Moreover, if NCAA rules were violated, or laws broken, then transparency dictates that this be known. And my checkbook and credit card statements indicate that I (and a whole host of others like me) have quite a bit to do with the process. If it's not OUR team, then WTF are we doing here, and whose team is it?

Reactions: iasooner1
I’ll say this, I’m not going to the game but to those who are and spent alot of money to hopefully see us have at least a decent shot of beating LSU, I’d be pissed as hell. With as little proven depth at DE as we have Perkins is a major loss, he was our biggest disrupter and most capable of making Burrow uncomfortable. I’m now expecting to see Burrow sit back and have his way with us 90% of the time. Someone please tell me I’m way off and have no idea what I’m talking about.
Sorry to disappoint, but you're spot on.

Bullshyt. No one has a constitutional right to be on a football team. Moreover, if NCAA rules were violated, or laws broken, then transparency dictates that this be known. And my checkbook and credit card statements indicate that I (and a whole host of others like me) have quite a bit to do with the process. If it's not OUR team, then WTF are we doing here, and whose team is it?
If the players were direct employees of the University then maybe you’d be right. But even then I seriously doubt it. You have absolutely no right to anyone’s medical records & this is considered a medical case. And positively no constitutional right. You do have a few rights to this though.
1. complain / bitch as it’s a freedom of speech
2. To buy a ticket and/or the option to not attend the game as it’s a freedom of choice

When purchasing a ticket , it does not state that a specific player(s) will be playing. And while I recognize that it sucks but as fans we either support or don’t support.

It's a crappy situation period. If a player failed an NCAA test I suppose it's correct that the U legally cannot say anything other than "broken team rules" and they govern the situation. Anything beyond is conjecture I believe. We don't need to argue between each other further over this, just hope Santa delivers a heaping extra portion of Sooner Magic and roll on with what we have, one game at a time

Reactions: Belldozer1
If the players were direct employees of the University then maybe you’d be right. But even then I seriously doubt it. You have absolutely no right to anyone’s medical records & this is considered a medical case. And positively no constitutional right. You do have a few rights to this though.
2. To buy a ticket and/or the option to not attend the game as it’s a freedom of choice

When purchasing a ticket , it does not state that a specific player(s) will be playing. And while I recognize that it sucks but as fans we either support or don’t support.
It is not a medical case, it is a bad behavior and rule case (ie. Bosworth 1986). I don't give two shits about their medical records. Besides, if it is a bona fide "medical" case, then why are suspensions necessary? Also, the players are receiving an education that most of us have to pay thousands of dollars for, so while they are not employees, they are being compensated for their services with our entertainment dollars. Granted, the admin has no LEGAL obligation to disclose anything at all, but it sure is a bunch of BS to suspend key players at the 11th hour with no official explanation.

PS: Props to Gabe Ickard for getting to the truth.

I agree with your last comment about when you buy a ticket there’s no guarantee that a certain player will play but it’s a little easier to stomach when a star player isn’t playing because he gets hurt in the practices leading up to the game rather than a player not playing because he decided to break the rules and get suspended. I do not support that player.

It is not a medical case, it is a bad behavior and rule case (ie. Bosworth 1986). I don't give two shits about their medical records. Besides, if it is a bona fide "medical" case, then why are suspensions necessary? Also, the players are receiving an education that most of us have to pay thousands of dollars for, so while they are not employees, they are being compensated for their services with our entertainment dollars. Granted, the admin has no LEGAL obligation to disclose anything at all, but it sure is a bunch of BS to suspend key players at the 11th hour with no official explanation.

Bosworth was pre-HIPPA. Post HIPPA, even the players' parents can't be given the results of a medical test without a consent form from the player.

while I have nothing to argue against your post, none of the reasons posted allow for the Uni to legally release names and cause for suspensions.

*HIPAA (not HIPPA)

And specifically it’s the Privacy Rule tacked onto HIPAA in 2000 that people are talking about when they say HIPAA. It applies to “Covered Entities” (think: health care providers and Insurance companies”, and “Business Associates” (think: vendors working for your doctor or insurance company; paper shredding, couriers, lawyers, accounts, etc.).

So, whether or not “HIPAA” applies to the University Athletic Department is certainly questionable as they don’t appear to qualify as a “Covered Entity”, and maybe not as a “Business Associate”.

More likely is that there is some sort of agreement between the NCAA, University, and Athletes that spells out the drug testing procedures, how the results are handled, and how much information is deemed “public”.

There are also going to be State Laws and University policies that speak to Privacy and all of that combined makes it unlikely that LR can say anything more than he has, without getting permission from the athletes themselves to say more.

I mean honestly who cares...……….
I don’t, but clearly some people do. In this day and age where people literally open up every aspect of their lives on Social Media, and “transparency” is a catchy buzzword, some folks seem to think EVERYTHING is open to transparency. Of course, that transparency line would stop at THEM being 100% open about their own personal information. It only applies to celebrities (including college athletes) because “that’s what they signed up for”. **rolls eyes**

I don’t, but clearly some people do. In this day and age where people literally open up every aspect of their lives on Social Media, and “transparency” is a catchy buzzword, some folks seem to think EVERYTHING is open to transparency. Of course, that transparency line would stop at THEM being 100% open about their own personal information. It only applies to celebrities (including college athletes) because “that’s what they signed up for”. **rolls eyes**
Except that they DID sign up for it. When you show me that you're helping to fund my scholarship in excess of $40,000, and my potential ticket to NFL paydirt, you can have all the access to my "medical records" that you want. And if I ever violate a state law or NCAA rule, you'll be able to find it on the internet whether I consent to it or not, though I doubt you'd be interested.

I actually agree with Plaino on this. :eek:
In the end, what happens inside the program in regards to these kids and their personal business...is none of OUR business outside of making nosey people happy.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
*HIPAA (not HIPPA)

And specifically it’s the Privacy Rule tacked onto HIPAA in 2000 that people are talking about when they say HIPAA. It applies to “Covered Entities” (think: health care providers and Insurance companies”, and “Business Associates” (think: vendors working for your doctor or insurance company; paper shredding, couriers, lawyers, accounts, etc.).

So, whether or not “HIPAA” applies to the University Athletic Department is certainly questionable as they don’t appear to qualify as a “Covered Entity”, and maybe not as a “Business Associate”.

More likely is that there is some sort of agreement between the NCAA, University, and Athletes that spells out the drug testing procedures, how the results are handled, and how much information is deemed “public”.

There are also going to be State Laws and University policies that speak to Privacy and all of that combined makes it unlikely that LR can say anything more than he has, without getting permission from the athletes themselves to say more.
It's FERPA that prohibits the release of student information, including any medical record such as immunizations, drug test results, etc.

Yeah, when my college kids are in school, even though l am paying for their education l am prohibited by law from having any info about their personal life, outside of what they give permission for me to have. I cannot even see their grades.

By that standard, being entitled to drug test info, because you paid for a ticket, is a pretty unworthy request.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT