ADVERTISEMENT

WR room just average

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
Mims only one playing up to expectation. The others just struggle to get open and Gabriel chucks it long or in a bad position. Sooners middle pass game is really sucking. Loss of Gundy and Simmons both are showing to be big and disconcerting. Not a smooth passing game against better opposition. Lebby better work on his coaching and cut out with the excuses.

Mims only one playing up to expectation. The others just struggle to get open and Gabriel chucks it long or in a bad position. Sooners middle pass game is really sucking. Loss of Gundy and Simmons both are showing to be big and disconcerting. Not a smooth passing game against better opposition. Lebby better work on his coaching and cut out with the excuses.
What about Farooq? What about Drake Stoops? Gibson? I think your WR assessment falls short of reality. This is mostly on Gabriel very poor reading through his progressions. He has missed several wide open receivers. I hope we see Evers. He adds a dimension to the offense that we have not seen.

The QB, receiving corps, offensive line and defense are the weakest OU has had in recent years... so typical of a team in transition that's lost so much quality talent on both sides of the ball from last year.
Like first year coach Gary Gibbs in 1989, first year coach Venables has inherited a team having had much offseason upheaval. And like Gibbs, he has a lot of work to do that won't be complete for a year or two.
That said, it's extremely important for OU to play a competitive game this Saturday. A blowout loss will only show just how deep a hole Riley put OU in, especially on the heels of the TCU disaster.
I do not believe OU would have lost two games had Caleb Williams, Mario Williams, and Haselwood not bailed out and the best four defensive players had not left for either the NFL and/or eligibility.
I'm eager to see what kind of recovery Venable and his staff can produce now. More defeats are likely, but it's how OU plays from here on with a roster far removed from any OU's had in a long time that matters to me. It's not just lesser or inexperienced talent, it's also talent learning to play tougher and more focused under a rebuilt coaching staff.... and that is not a good combination.
Can anyone really believe OU would have been better off by hiring another head coach besides Venables, given the team Riley left behind?
Venables doesn't need excuses. He needs time. This was apparent the day he was hired.

We had been led to believe that if Dillon Gabriel stayed healthy, we'd be good at quarterback. He was oversold. Several things about the offense were oversold. But honestly, I think the weakest room on the offensive side of the ball is where the wide receivers meet.

I love BV and think he'll get us there. But we are very short of talent all over. Throw in the inexperience in the offense and defensive scheme, and it's a formula for a long season. It is very possible that this team, that started the season 3-0, will not get the six wins necessary to get to a bowl game. All kinds of factors are involved in that, but it is a real possibility.

And losing by double digits this weekend is a real possibility. By more than four touchdowns is a real possibility. OUr guys may be hard working, bought in guys. But they are really beat up, and short of talent because of injuries. And Texas is the healthiest, most talented that they've been all season. I've not been this pessimistic since I started caring again after Boo Blake got canned.

I hope. But my expectations are so low. I really will be thrilled to be wrong.

It seems worse now because every one drank all the kool aid immediately when Brent was hired. Not surprising and really a normal reaction considering what transpired after the Oklahoma State game. To make us feel even more hopeful we won our bowl game and then three wins to start off the season. Looking back, we can see why Oregon and the three 2022 wins were not so impressive. Now we are in bad shape due to injuries and inexperience at key positions. I am just going to wait and see what happens and try not to expect more than this squad can deliver. Hopefully, we get healthy and get our shit together soon. But not expecting 6 wins. If that happens I would say it was a good showing for Brent.

It seems worse now because every one drank all the kool aid immediately when Brent was hired. Not surprising and really a normal reaction considering what transpired after the Oklahoma State game. To make us feel even more hopeful we won our bowl game and then three wins to start off the season. Looking back, we can see why Oregon and the three 2022 wins were not so impressive. Now we are in bad shape due to injuries and inexperience at key positions. I am just going to wait and see what happens and try not to expect more than this squad can deliver. Hopefully, we get healthy and get our shit together soon. But not expecting 6 wins. If that happens I would say it was a good showing for Brent.
Agree.
All of us are without good expectations for OU against Texas right now, except perhaps for OU keeping the score respectable.
I recall even during the decade of the 1960's, there was hope that OU could beat Texas at least half of those ten years... as in 1962, 1963 vs Texas' national championship team, 1964, 1968 and even in 1969 vs Texas' second national championship team of that decade. Problem was, OU entered each game hoping to win.... Texas entered the game knowing it would win and won all but one game (1966) against OU in that decade......compliments of native Oklahoman and Sooner All-American Darrell Royal.... who I wish has replaced Wilkinson.
Indeed, six wins, coupled with competitive close-score games are my hope right now. That includes getting the young players more comfortable and better prepared for 2023.
If OU gets mauled by Texas, I look for Venables to focus getting his team ready for 2023, as well as a bowl bid in December which would mean 15 more days of practice and of course, money.
If Gabriel is done for the year, or is out for several games, I would think Evers gets the nod as his talent level would trump that of the other QB's and this could get OU to a 6-win season. More importantly, if Evers shows well, it will mean Jackson Arnold would have better competition for the starting QB job. And that's a good "problem" for Venables.
I can't blame Venables for what's happened. I think he KNEW this season was going to be tough and he offered what he thought was most needed at the time he took over: rah-rah speeches and assurances that better days are coming. It was not about offering "Kool Aid" for OU fans to drink. It was about telling the fanbase that OU would rise above the Riley era and move forward.

It's the Shootout. Everything prior to this game bears no consideration on Saturday. I'm ready to watch our Sooners fight and pull out a win. I love sending Texas disappointment. Nothing is better than beating their asses.

Reactions: iasooner2000
No, I really don't think anything matters. Past history, recent history, rankings. This is about who shows up to fight and who doesn't.
Not to be a wise guy, but have you seen OU's last two games?
OU has many problems starting with Gabriel not being available on Saturday and a defense that has a Lincoln Riley hangover.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
I was wrong, and I'm sorry. There's no damn excuse for this outcome. I don't care what Venables adopted. This isn't OU acceptable. I think we're starting to see why the guy struggled to get a head coaching job for so many years. If I performed like this in my job, y'all would be annoyed by me begging you for a job. Good thing I'm good at what I do.

Blanked because of many things. Mims and Farooq SHOULD be conference stars , but here we are. No matter ifs Gabriel or Beville. Taking the shine off things with ease. Lebby’s Beavis like playcalling How many failed bubbles/jet sweeps can we run? Talk about boneheaded coaching.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Blanked because of many things. Mims and Farooq SHOULD be conference stars , but here we are. No matter ifs Gabriel or Beville. Taking the shine off things with ease. Lebby’s Beavis like playcalling How many failed bubbles/jet sweeps can we run? Talk about boneheaded coaching.
We need a quarterback brother. Pretty simple. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT