ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - November 2, 2022

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*Alright guys, we'll start with some of the conversations, I've had the last few days.

First is Lake Butler (Fla.) Union County three-star defensive lineman Markus Strong.

We had a pretty lengthy conversation and the first thing I came away with is he seems like a very natural fit for Todd Bates he talked about really connecting with the SOUL mission and how that side of things appeals to him.

We discussed how much he kind of grew up with a respect for Oklahoma and you could tell from his words that even though he's not overly familiar - in any real way - with the Sooners that they get some real elevation in his eyes just based on name recognition.

"Oklahoma, they've just always stuck out to me along with UCF and Oregon," Strong said while admitting his proximity to Gainesville, Fla. has always made the Gators intriguing to him.

What's most interesting is that Strong's persistence is what eventually earned him the offer. From Strong's explanation he had followed Brent Venables before then 'refollowed' him over the weekend. Venables quickly followed him back before Bates would soon do the same.

"I talked a little with coach Venables and then talked with coach Bates before he told me to call him and then on Monday they offered me," Strong recalled.

Strong hasn't finalized an official visit to Norman but I think the chances for December seem most likely. I wouldn't rule out Nov. 19 but part of me wonders if Strong might be an answer to what happens with David Hicks so Oklahoma might bring Strong in during December, if that's the direction things seem to be headed, and try and close him.

My feeling was that barring Florida getting involved this is a pursuit that Oklahoma can be heavily involved in. And it helps Oklahoma that Florida would have to move quickly as he expects to be done in December.

**The next new offer I had a chance to speak with last night was Coffeyville (Kan.) Coffeyville C.C. four-star offensive guard Keyshawn Blacklock. As he is rated as a guard by Rivals, and others, there's an assumption that it's where he'd play if he ended up in Norman but he says he's comfortable along the offensive line and 'just wants to be where I can help the team the most'.

My conversation with Blackstock was a bit more vague as far as his level of interest though he was willing to say that he'd like to take a trip to Norman if he can make it work and with his plans to graduate in December, he knows he is up against the clock.

The one thing Blackstock WAS adamant about? The reality that distance from home just isn't going to be a huge thing for the Covington, Ga. native.

There has been some talk of Auburn with him but Oklahoma may be in the perfect place to mitigate the Tigers with their upheaval of coaching staff.

The thing that stood out to me? His admission that his future position coach will be a HUGE part of his decision AND what kind of coach he is looking for.

"The relationship I have with my offensive line coach and the coaching staff. I want to feel like I'm need and not wanted. When you want somebody, when you need a guy you're going to go after his (butt)," Blacklock said.

"Just honesty, you don't have to lie. That's the biggest thing I can say, no need to lie to me. I'm going to come in and work from day one. I'm not asking anybody for (anything), I'm going to come in and take what I want so the biggest thing is to just be honest and don't lie to me."

I mean...is that a Bill Bedenbaugh guy or what? And yes those parentheticals were removed for 'decency'.

Getting Blacklock on campus will be tricky as Coffeyville has games the next two weeks and then Coffeyville will likely still be dealing with an NJCAA bowl game. But could the Sooners bring him in on Nov. 19 for Bedlam?

We'll see.

***Finally a guy that I think could be the next on the offer train is Auburn Rivals250 safety commitment Terrance Love.

Last night he was contacted by Sooners safety coach Brandon Hall after the Sooners had started to show some interest earlier in the week.

"He told me he is about to give me a look because he needs a safety that can play now," Love said.

It's not every day a player of Love's ranking can fall into your lap at this late date but with all that's happening at Auburn there is still plenty in play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News