ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - November 16, 2022

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Alright guys, time to get going here and it's time to start with a visitor list that figures to be outstanding this weekend.

Official Visits:

David Hicks - DT - Katy (Texas) Paetow - OU OFFER - TAMU COMMIT - 5-STAR
Ashton Sanders - DT - Los Angeles (Calif.) Cathedral - OU OFFER
Daymion Sanford - LB - Katy (Texas) Paetow - OU OFFER - TAMU COMMIT - 4-STAR

Unofficial Visits:

Jackson Arnold - 2023 - QB - Denton (Texas) Guyer - OU COMMIT - RIVALS100
Eli Bowen - 2024 - CB - Denton (Texas) Guyer - OU OFFER - 4-STAR
Peyton Bowen - 2023 - S - Denton (Texas) Guyer - OU OFFER - ND COMMIT - RIVALS100
Dax Collins - 2024 - S - Poteau, Okla.
Kendel Dolby - 2023 - S - Miami (Okla.) Northeastern Oklahoma A&M - OU OFFER
Cayden Green - 2023 - OT - Lee's Summit (Mo.) North - OU COMMIT - RIVALS100
Logan Howland - 2023 - OT - Princeton (N.J.) The Hun School - OU COMMIT
Heath Ozaeta - 2023 - OL - Snoqualmie (Wash.) Mount Si - OU COMMIT
Weston Port - 2025 - LB - San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) San Juan Hills - RIVALS100
Nigel Smith - 2025 - DL - Melissa, Texas - OU OFFER - RIVALS100
David Stone - 2024 - DL - Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy - OU OFFER - RIVALS100
Harrison Utley - 2024 - OL - Norman (Okla.) North
Owen Wafle - 2024 - DT - Princeton (N.J.) The Hun School - OU OFFER - ND COMMIT - 4-STAR
Taylor Wein - 2023 - DE - Nolensville, Tenn. - OU OFFER

I know there had been some talk of Josh Bates and King Joseph Edwards but neither will be able to make it as they have their own state playoff games to deal with at the moment. I'm still working to confirm a few other possibilities but obviously it's a pretty strong weekend and I'm expecting a few more late emerging visitors including the possibility of some guys making late plans if they don't have Saturday team meetings - should they come up short on Friday nights and their season ends, etc.

**So one of the more interesting storylines this week has been some of the gossip around Xadavien Sims and Michigan State after 247 expert Steve Wiltfong put in a crystal ball for the Spartans.

That immediately led to some discussions about his trainer, Sean Cooper, and whether or not he is pushing guys away from Oklahoma.

I've known Cooper for a few years now and while you all know that I'm one who is usually pretty skeptical of trainers - and have told him the same - he's always been very honest and direct with me and I can't have more confidence that he's a guy who really doesn't much care where his guys go as long as it's a good opportunity for them.

Beyond my own feelings, I've spoken to sources around Norman as well as to Cooper himself and he's a guy who has done well by Oklahoma from beginning to end. The Sooners have a chance to land several players from his group and I can say that Cooper has always been incredibly complimentary of the Sooners and has built good relationships with several members of the staff.

This wasn't meant as any kind of defense of Cooper - it is far more about negating any ideas that his involvement is going to hurt Oklahoma as I still feel that if the Sooners had made Bai Jobe a focus that's likely where he ends up. It's also worth noting that should Sims and Jobe both end up in East Lansing, that neither guy is an 'Oklahoma kid' that grew up dreaming of the Sooners or anything.

***Along those same lines it's been clear in listening to Brent Venables that he is going to be working to make more of a priority of in-state recruiting and one player that I am continuing to tell you all to be aware of is Checotah, Okla. 2025 two-way standout Elijah Thomas.

As I've stated before he grew up a Sooner fan and the Sooners are definitely interested in the young prospect but what is becoming pretty clear is they'd like some young in-state stars to come up and camp before making any offers but Brandon Hall made it clear to Thomas during his visit for the Baylor game that they are very interested.

"Coach Hall said he’d love to have me there but they don’t offer 2025 because they want us to develop academically," Thomas said of the Sooners lead in-state recruiter. "He was talking to me about getting up to camp though."

Again, I'd bet Thomas is among Oklahoma's first in-state offers whenever they truly begin beyond Washington tight end Nate Roberts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News