ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - March 3, 2021

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*One of the interesting questions that followed the commitment of Jason Llewellyn was the idea of whether Oklahoma would pursue another tight end.

With the Sooners placing as much importance on the tight end/hback role as any team in the country it always felt like going two classes with just one incoming recruit was a dangerous idea. That was made even more glaring with the transfer of Jalin Conyers over the Winter.

Checking around there was a feeling that a second tight end/hback type would be a must. And one of Oklahoma's offers since Joe Jon Finley put any debate to bed.

"They're taking two in my class so they said if I wanted to commit (right now) today they would have a spot for me," Kaden Helms said. "Coach Joe Jon told me that the offer is 'real', meaning that if I wanted to commit I would be a sooner on the spot.

"(He also said) that they only offer people that they think can truly play at Oklahoma."

With the comments about 'right now' one almost wonders if Helms is feeling some pressure but he said it's been anything but that from the Oklahoma staff.

"No pressure," he clarified. "They just made it clear if I wanted to commit there, whenever I make my decision, that they would be happy to welcome me in if I chose to go there."

And even with Llewellyn's commitment the Sooners have stayed working hard on the big tight end from Bellevue (Neb.) West.

"Coach (Lincoln) Riley and coach Finley text me almost everyday and we call at least once a week so they’ve done a good job of staying in contact."

**Another recent offer, from a decidedly more familiar recruiting area, is 2023 wide receiver Johntay Cook of DeSoto, Texas.

The highly-talented receiver described his offer from the Sooners, when it happened, as from his 'childhood dream school' and it's clear that Oklahoma has already made an impression on how they made the offer - particularly with his family.

"Coach (Dennis) Simmons and coach Riley facetimed me (and my family)," Cook explained. "Oh, my mom loved it, and my dad was very excited. OU was the first to ask for my parents before they actually offered and that’s what my parents loved so much."

Oklahoma will have plenty of competition for Cook, who already holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Texas, and Texas A&M but there's no question that Simmons and co. are laying the ground work for the Sooners second win at DeSoto in as many decades.

***I know this has felt heavy on 2023 and beyond recruiting so let's move back to 2022 and go with something that many like to discuss, guys I think Oklahoma leads for, and then guys I expect Oklahoma to truly be a factor with...

Lead:

QB: N/A
RB: Jovantae Barnes, Gavin Sawchuk
WR: No current openings IMO
TE: N/A
OL: Cameron Williams, Jake Taylor, Jacob Sexton, Cole Hutson
DL: Omari Abor, Gabe Dindy
EDGE: N/A
LB: Justin Medlock
CB: Gentry Williams
S: Chace Biddle, Jayden Rowe (NB?)

Contenders for:

QB: N/A
RB: Jovantae Barnes, Gavin Sawchuk
WR: No current openings IMO
TE: Kaden Helms
OL: Cameron Williams, Jake Taylor, Jacob Sexton, Cole Hutson, Neto Umeozulu, Malik Agbo, Kam Dewberry, Devon Campbell
DL: Omari Abor, Gabe Dindy, DJ Wesolak, Derrick Moore,
EDGE: Derrick Brown, Cyrus Moss
LB: Justin Medlock, Ish Harris, Devon Jackson, Xavier Simmons,
CB: Gentry Williams, Austin Jordan, Lorenzell Dubose
S: Chace Biddle, Jayden Rowe (NB?), Cristian Driver, Jarred Kerr

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News