ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - January 18, 2023

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*This week a lot of talk has surrounded Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy Rivals100 linebacker Payton Pierce and his weekend visit to Notre Dame.

So I had a chance to speak with Pierce a bit this week and it was clear in talking to him that he was very impressed with he saw in South Bend, Ind. but the idea that he's nearing a decision seems unlikely.

And beyond that, he had another school near the top of his list.

" I have a small group of schools I am pretty close to narrowing it down to. Oklahoma and Notre dame are right at the top," Pierce said. "I am grateful for these opportunities and all of them are incredible. I just want to get the right fit and I won’t decide what that is for a little while."

Again, I continue to like where Oklahoma is with PIerce but I'm not expecting a decision from him until at least April, if not into the early summer.

**Another really interesting defensive prospect is Tyler (Texas) Tyler Junior College defensive lineman Michael Nwokocha, Oklahoma's lone outstanding class of 2023 offer.

The first priority for Nwokocha is cutting down his list to the two schools he plans to visit before making his announcement on Signing Day.

"I’m going to narrow down the two I’m taking before the dead period," Nwokocha said.

And as for the chances that Oklahoma could be one of those two?

"Yessir. It’s OU, big time football," he responded.

Now I want to be fair, the answer seemed a little more definitive than I think he intended but the bottom line is I expect Oklahoma to get one of his two official visits over the next weeks but I just wanted to be honest that I don't think - at least at the time we spoke - that it was the done deal that the above quote made it seem.

***One of the interesting notes of the early stages from the hiring of Emmett Jones has been some buzz that the Sooners, who felt like they had slipped from real contenders in the race for five-star receiver Micah Hudson may be firmly back in things.

"There's a very good relationship there, I'd guess this changes where (Oklahoma) is for him considerably," one source said.

Now, there's a lot more to connect before we can be sure of everything because it's about a lot more than just Jones but the Sooners may have reentered the race so to speak. Let's just keep an eye on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News