ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - Jan. 11, 2023

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*Alright let's get started from the top with the player we know will be announcing today, Bowling Green wide receiver transfer Tyrone Broden.

The big receiver won't be picking Oklahoma today but I'm told that's got little to do with his preferences. In fact one source was pretty adamant that Broden had told Oklahoma he was coming but the Sooners may have cooled a bit.

Why?

Well there is at least one reason we can get into below but obviously Andrel Anthony's impending decision had a role as well as Oklahoma's increasing pursuit of Bryson Green.

The Oklahoma State transfer may be the next current portal receiver to join the ranks with Oklahoma.

**Sticking at receiver, I can say that the Scoop staff continues to hear that Oklahoma offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby is pretty enamored with Andrel Anthony's potential in the Oklahoma offense.

In speaking with some folks in Michigan they agree there is huge potential in his game but drops have been a problem at various times. Perhaps work with a new receivers coach in Emmett Jones as well as the possible retention (I told you!) of L'Damian Washington could help a talented receiver reach the heights he did as a true freshman? Most notably, when he had six catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns, including a 93-yard score, against rival Michigan State.

***And the final receiver to add to the conversation is Texas Tech's Jerand Bradley, who was among Big 12 leaders with 51 receptions (No. 11), 6 touchdowns (No. 4/Tied), and 744 yards (No. 7) in his first year after redshirting in 2021. Bradley has three years of eligibility remaining and there is very real smoke that he may want to follow Jones to Norman?

Obviously Bradley will have to enter the portal before anything can come of this but some I've spoken to seem to believe that is to be expected and one almost wonders if the hiring of Jones - that was largely done over the weekend - had some hand in backing away from Broden? Again, it's just a theory at this point but it seems a risk worth taking as a wide receiver room that adds Anthony, Green, and Bradley would look a lot more like what we expect Lebby to want in his vertical passing game.

****Sticking to the portal a player that continues to be key to the Sooners but is also tough to read is Stanford left tackle transfer Walter Rouse. With the Sooners having such a glaring hole at the position Rouse could buy the Sooners some time to let some young guys develop and bring a load of experience while he does it.

But the question seems to bounce back and forth between Oklahoma and Nebraska. I'm told the Sooners have been dogged in their pursuit of Rouse both with their work as a staff as well as the NIL arm of things. Can they beat out what the Huskers have to offer? I'm honestly not sure as the story seemed to change at least three times on Tuesday but it does feel like we'll have a verdict fairly quickly - today or tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News