ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - February 15, 2023

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*So the fun debate of the week has absolutely circled around what people expect of the SEC 'fixed' schedule in 2024 and beyond.

For those not sure what that means exactly, a few clarifications. The expectation of most is for the SEC to go with a nine game regular season and having 3 fixed opponents that do not deviate year over year and six other opponents that you play a home and home with before those six reset two years later. So, over a four year span you'd be guaranteed to play every team in the conference both home and away.

The debate has circled around who each team's three opponents may be, something that could, conceivably, be changed after any four year cycle. And while it's a foregone conclusion that Texas will be one, there is surprisingly large feedback that one will be Missouri to the point that it almost feels foregone as well. The third has largely been a point of contention with both Arkansas and Florida getting a lot of conversation.

Speaking to a few sources it sounds as though the real conversation seems to be about what will be the focus. Is it proximity/good travel/and easily built rivalries or is it about creating great TV draws?

Obviously Arkansas fits into the former and Florida into the latter but it does sound like that is what it could come down to though of course I'm constantly reminded that 'when one domino falls it creates a reaction' so maybe it is someone else entirely?

It's an interesting, and obviously exciting, debate.

**Though we're sitting in a dead period there's still plenty of work being done including the Sooners putting in place a lengthy list of visitors for the next few months, one of which is among their most recent offers, Joshua Lair of Missouri City (Texas) Marshall.

The big prospect was offered by Brandon Hall and though he's listed by Rivals as a receiver, it's as a defensive back they've taken a shine to him.

"They contacted my head coach, he gave me the coach's info and gave me a heads up that they were about to offer. Once I called, me and coach (Hall) had a pretty good conversation and I got the offer," Lair explained.

And now Lair is expecting to be in Norman next month.

"I would like to come up sometime in March," he said.

***Another recent offer that is hoping to be on campus this spring is defensive tackle Deyvid Palepale of Landisville (Pa.) Hempfield. The big man has been in talks with much of the coaching staff, notably Todd Bates, and the Sooners are making a strong early impression.

"I have been in contact with Coach (Brent) Venables and Coach Bates frequently since receiving the offer. They have been trying to get me on campus," Palepale said.

"My family and I are trying our best, it’s just hard with our schedules. But we definitely want to get on campus."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News