ADVERTISEMENT

WOKElahoma - April 5, 2023

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
So I thought I'd start with a segment that is sure to make @soonertrey's heart sing, some spring camp chatter - even if he did drop the ball and not get his question in yesterday during Board Chat. But all public shaming aside, there's been a lot of talk this spring and I figured it was time to highlight a few themes that I've heard a few different places.

First is the elephant in the room - Jackson Arnold.

"He's impressed everyone," a source said. "I mean sure the guy can spin it and makes some great throws but it's just the whole package, he understands his role, has bought into it, and at the same time is going to do everything he can to push Dillon (Gabriel).

"He's is as impressive as you could hope for from a young quarterback."

Another source had this to say...

"As long as you put good parts around him, I don't know how you fail with a kid like that."

Speaking of good parts around him, three young receivers have impressed most of the onlookers who've had a chance to watch - Nic Anderson, Andrel Anthony, and Jayden Gibson.

Gibson has been one that people have been counting on since Oklahoma was able to steal him late in the 2022 recruiting cycle and it seems like things are starting to come together after some shaky times on and off the field.

"He's been a beast, so far," a source said of Gibson.

In talking to some people it feels like Gibson took last year much as Oklahoma's staff would hope he would - a wake up call. Gibson's talent is immense but there was a feeling that he needed to lock in and be a bit more focused to become the player he's capable of being.

"He's starting to wake up to all of it."

Obviously there's a lot of interest in Anthony as he's a guy who brings big-time speed that can stretch a defense in the way that we all know Jeff Lebby hopes to. The question for him has long been about whether he can be consistent enough with his hands.

So far? So good.

"He hasn't dropped a thing so far, looks great," a source said.

Finally, with Anderson it's more about 'feel' than any direct commentary on what he's been doing but as I kept saying last year 'there are a lot of people who are all in on him'. His frame and vertical speed, along with his work ethic have impressed just about everyone.

And while most of the talks were on offense, one defensive guy that drew strong praise?

"Danny Stutsman is a beast."

That's it, that's the quote.

**So we're all awaiting the decision of Forney, Texas Rivals250 defensive back Aaron Flowers and there has been a feeling for the past few weeks that this would come down to Oklahoma and USC - though there was a time that Oregon felt like a real contender as well.

As the past week has worn on though it felt like the Ducks fell by the wayside with USC and the Sooners throwing all they had at the talented defender.

But as some of you may have noticed, last night I flipped my pick from Oklahoma to USC after just seeing a trend of the past few weeks and a few late night conversations just give me an indication that the Trojans may have pulled a late win here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News