ADVERTISEMENT

With Cody Thomas quitting football, who wins OUs backup QB position?

Thank God Bob Stoops is an idiot. Remind me again how well Savior Riley did against Texas? Iowa State beat Texas. How did that Clemson game work out? 5 runs by Perine in the first drive and touchdown. Only 5 more Perine runs for the rest of the freaking half.
Ummmmm, you sure you want to play this game? How did that Clemson game work out for Josh? Josh got his ass handed to him worse in his Clemson game. Much worse. So much so in fact that he got fired.

He also lost to Texas the year before he got fired, and looked so freaking inept in a win against Texas the year he did get fired.

Not sure why you want to bag on Riley. All he did was win an award for best offensive play caller in the nation, lead an offense to the Big Twelve title, have the and a semi-final appearance in the CFP. Josh ever do that? Nope. And before you get even sillier, I'm a huuuuuge Josh Heupel fan. Hope he does great every where he goes. I'll always remember him as a NC QB, and one of the resurrectors of our program back to elite status.

But as an OC? In over his head. Don't want to take my word for it? I've got Bob Stoops in my corner. All you have is what reads as some Wikipedia report written by Josh's Mother.

Wow lol. Great post. People please think before you post in the future or someone like micco comes by and totally owns you. Thanks in advance

Only an idiot would be happy with production like this?

Despite three different QBs seeing action over the course of the 2013 season, the Sooners registered an 11-2 campaign culminating with a 45-31 win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

With Heupel calling the signals of a balanced OU offensive attack in 2013, the Sooners led the Big 12 by averaging 223.9 rushing ypg, the best output by Oklahoma since 1991. OU averaged 423.0 ypg of total offense in 2013, marking the seventh straight year the Sooners topped the 400-yard barrier.

Heupel navigated between QBs Trevor Knight and Blake Bell, who both came up big for the squad in 2013. Bell guided OU to road wins at Notre Dame (9/28/13) and at Oklahoma State (12/7/13), while Knight earned MVP honors in the Sugar Bowl, throwing for 348 yards, while tying a Sugar Bowl record with four TD passes.

Oklahoma finished the 2013 campaign with a +9 turnover differential and was +72 in points off turnovers in 2013, while also leading the Big 12 in time of possession (32:18).

OU ranked fifth in the nation in passing (336.5 ypg) and 12th in total offense (497.9 ypg) in 2012 as Landry Jones became the Big 12’s all-time leader in passing yards and total offense.

In 2011, his OU unit finished fourth nationally in both total offense (512.3 ypg) and passing offense (349.4 ypg). Jones ranked third in the nation in total offense in 2011 after finishing second in the nation in passing yards in 2010 when he won the Sammy Baugh Award. Jones led all FBS freshman with 26 TDs after Sam Bradford was lost to injury in the 2009 season opener.

Tutored Bradford, who won the Heisman, Davey O’Brien and Sammy Baugh Awards, after throwing for 4,720 yards and 50 TDs with just eight INTs in 2008. Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency. He presided over the highest scoring offense ever and an NCAA-record string of five straight 60-point games.

In 2007, Bradford led the nation in passing efficiency (176.5) and set NCAA freshman record with 36 TD passes. He made four All-America freshman teams and was a finalist for the Manning Award.

Coached Paul Thompson, who, after finding out one day before fall camp that he would play QB, piloted OU to an 11-3 mark in 2006.

Founded The 14 Foundation, a non-profit organization that serves underprivileged children throughout Oklahoma.

Thank God Bob Stoops is an idiot. Remind me again how well Savior Riley did against Texas? Iowa State beat Texas. How did that Clemson game work out? 5 runs by Perine in the first drive and touchdown. Only 5 more Perine runs for the rest of the freaking half.

NOT TO MENTION that the current depth issue at QB might rest on the shoulders of our new OC!!

I'm amazed the lengths a few will go to defend their "opinions" when there is no empirical data or evidence that they have any clue what they're talking about. Including one who boldly predicted Coach Mike would be fired this year.

I've said it before, if they're still around, they'll be the first to want to crucify Riley if we keep losing a few games because the offense struggles. Poster children for one of my favorites quotes:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Reactions: Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc
Ummmmm, you sure you want to play this game? How did that Clemson game work out for Josh? Josh got his ass handed to him worse in his Clemson game. Much worse. So much so in fact that he got fired.

He also lost to Texas the year before he got fired, and looked so freaking inept in a win against Texas the year he did get fired.

Not sure why you want to bag on Riley. All he did was win an award for best offensive play caller in the nation, lead an offense to the Big Twelve title, have the and a semi-final appearance in the CFP. Josh ever do that? Nope. And before you get even sillier, I'm a huuuuuge Josh Heupel fan. Hope he does great every where he goes. I'll always remember him as a NC QB, and one of the resurrectors of our program back to elite status.

But as an OC? In over his head. Don't want to take my word for it? I've got Bob Stoops in my corner. All you have is what reads as some Wikipedia report written by Josh's Mother.
Geez. Riley catches a little heat and the panties wad up? Riley has Mayfield, just a little different than Knight/whoever that Heupel had. I think we all saw how well the offense did when Knight was out half a game this season. Did Riley forget how to call a game in the second half? Was he in over his head? Riley also has a new WR coach. How big of a drag/benefit was Norvell? How did the lack of a producing #2 receiver affect the 2014 offense? How much of a benefit was having more than one receiver in 2015? Defenses? The same both years?

I'm a Heupel fan too. And now I'm a Riley fan. You can dismiss the production that Heupel brought prior to 2014 if you'd like. In my opinion that's just silly. Was it time for Heupel to go? According to the big man it was. His job/call, not mine. Was that an indictment to Heupel sucking over his 4 year OC career? You can think so if you'd like.

Me, I'll stick with the results over Heupel's career and wish him luck in all his endeavors. Riley? I'll crown him when he deserves it. Just as one season doesn't define Heupel's career, it doesn't define Riley's at OU either. For me anyhow.

And that information I posted is from Soonersports, not Heupel's mother or Wikipedia. Just a bunch of meaningless stats and what not, but it looks like OU is fairly proud of both of his careers at OU.

Peace.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Then Heupel had to go and give Baker those concussions.

I thank the flying spaghetti monster every day that Josh is no longer playing defense at Baylor and Clemson. Then he had the audacity to make two guys with talent tranfer to A&M or focus on baseball because they realized they weren't gonna be playing anytime soon. And he did this all while coaching elsewhere. Sombitch is an expert in sabotage the likes of which even Scooby Doo and the gang couldn't handle.

You win one god damn national title here and he thinks he can do whatever he wants.

Probably less "panties in a wad", more of a different perspective. Is Riley perfect? No. He has some "WTH" games as well. As you mentioned, both the Clemson and Texas games are prime examples. I'll throw TCU in there as well. Seemed wildly perplexed with what to do with Trevor in as QB, even when the rest of the world could see he was struggling. So I have no problem with knowledgeable people pointing out possible bad decisions by any of the coaches.

But Heupel's dismissal wasn't from just one year's lack of production. Sure, the QB has a lot to do with how an OC looks. When Landry Jones was a true freshman the OC looks a little worse than when Landry Jones was a senior. But Josh was responsible for the QBs since 2006. That means he's responsible for who was there (and who wasn't) during his time at OU as the OC. I don't think Bob looked only at 2014 and said "Time to move on". There were a lot more moments of "What was he thinking?" than just one season.

Full disclosure - I've never played football, and especially never coached football at any meaningful level (junior high), so I promise I'll never be the guy that screams "Coach X sucks". My personal opinion is less than meaningless. But like you probably do, I know some who have, and one who works in the NFL. I trust when THEY tell me Josh is in over his head. Bob's decision backs their's up.

See me out sometime, and we'll drink a refreshing beverage and discuss further. I'm never afraid to learn from others.

Now if you want to talk wrestling...I'm your huckleberry. :)

And BC, never meant to imply Josh had any bearing on this season. Or any players, failures, or successes this team had this year. He walks free and clear, and those things rest at Riley's feet now.

And I'll reiterate....Josh will always be one of my favorite Sooners. I wish him well wherever he goes.

OU is in big trouble in 2016 without Baker Mayfield at QB unless a very good eligible transfer or JC QB comes on board. Riley needs to hit the recruiting road. OU coaches must have been counting on Cody Thomas to backup Mayfield or they would have already done so.

Tic toc, did you not see that Perine was injured prior to the OSU game and was not near 100% for OSU or Clemson and Mixon was injured against Clemson so running the ball 50 times against Clemson was out of the question. It's why Baker tried to do it by himself and ended up with the concussion. Add that to the OL could not run block against Clemson.

Geez. Riley catches a little heat and the panties wad up? Riley has Mayfield, just a little different than Knight/whoever that Heupel had. I think we all saw how well the offense did when Knight was out half a game this season. Did Riley forget how to call a game in the second half? Was he in over his head? Riley also has a new WR coach. How big of a drag/benefit was Norvell? How did the lack of a producing #2 receiver affect the 2014 offense? How much of a benefit was having more than one receiver in 2015? Defenses? The same both years?

I'm a Heupel fan too. And now I'm a Riley fan. You can dismiss the production that Heupel brought prior to 2014 if you'd like. In my opinion that's just silly. Was it time for Heupel to go? According to the big man it was. His job/call, not mine. Was that an indictment to Heupel sucking over his 4 year OC career? You can think so if you'd like.

Me, I'll stick with the results over Heupel's career and wish him luck in all his endeavors. Riley? I'll crown him when he deserves it. Just as one season doesn't define Heupel's career, it doesn't define Riley's at OU either. For me anyhow.

And that information I posted is from Soonersports, not Heupel's mother or Wikipedia. Just a bunch of meaningless stats and what not, but it looks like OU is fairly proud of both of his careers at OU.

Peace.
Posts like this are when I wish there was a "standing ovation" emoticon. OUtstanding post, regardless of how futile it may be.

Probably less "panties in a wad", more of a different perspective. Is Riley perfect? No. He has some "WTH" games as well. As you mentioned, both the Clemson and Texas games are prime examples. I'll throw TCU in there as well. Seemed wildly perplexed with what to do with Trevor in as QB, even when the rest of the world could see he was struggling. So I have no problem with knowledgeable people pointing out possible bad decisions by any of the coaches.

But Heupel's dismissal wasn't from just one year's lack of production. Sure, the QB has a lot to do with how an OC looks. When Landry Jones was a true freshman the OC looks a little worse than when Landry Jones was a senior. But Josh was responsible for the QBs since 2006. That means he's responsible for who was there (and who wasn't) during his time at OU as the OC. I don't think Bob looked only at 2014 and said "Time to move on". There were a lot more moments of "What was he thinking?" than just one season.

Full disclosure - I've never played football, and especially never coached football at any meaningful level (junior high), so I promise I'll never be the guy that screams "Coach X sucks". My personal opinion is less than meaningless. But like you probably do, I know some who have, and one who works in the NFL. I trust when THEY tell me Josh is in over his head. Bob's decision backs their's up.

See me out sometime, and we'll drink a refreshing beverage and discuss further. I'm never afraid to learn from others.

Now if you want to talk wrestling...I'm your huckleberry. :)
I'd submit ANOTHER possibility is that it wasn't Coach Stoop's decision to bring in another OC. Again, we went through ALL of this when Wilson moved on and posters were BEGGING for Heupel to call plays. Only the names have changed.

Heupel was fired...with cause. Moving on....

Just watched film of Reece Clark - serviceable. But this comment in this article caught my eye: "To do what we do well, you got to have five guys functioning and rolling to get all the reps in,” Riley said. “There is a history here on offense of walk-ons coming on and becoming big players so it’s huge for them and gives them an opportunity.”
http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/story/1574621-reece-clark-welcome-addition-to-ou

So basically, per our own OC, we don't have enough arms to give all of the new faces at WR enough reps (and he said the above when we had 5 QBs). And we sure as hell can't let Mayfield hold onto the ball as much as he likes to or have called QB runs. We may want to lean on the pistol formation and run out it....often.

Heupel supporters can cry 24/7 and it still doesn't change things. Heupel was fired for a reason! I hope this doesn't embarrass anyone and they leave the board for 6 months due to being wrong.

Reactions: BillyRay
I'd submit ANOTHER possibility is that it wasn't Coach Stoop's decision to bring in another OC. Again, we went through ALL of this when Wilson moved on and posters were BEGGING for Heupel to call plays. Only the names have changed.
Since there's no way to prove or disprove your theory, I'll go with what's known. And that is he was fired by Bob. Anything past that is pure speculation and conjecture.

Since there's no way to prove or disprove your theory, I'll go with what's known. And that is he was fired by Bob. Anything past that is pure speculation and conjecture.
True...why I didn't even try to represent it as fact. Speculation and conjecture are running rampant in this thread already...represented as fact. For example, there is no way to prove or disprove that Coach Heupel was asked to move on due to his job performance. Correct? ;)

Heupel was fired...with cause. Moving on....

Just watched film of Reece Clark - serviceable. But this comment in this article caught my eye: "To do what we do well, you got to have five guys functioning and rolling to get all the reps in,” Riley said. “There is a history here on offense of walk-ons coming on and becoming big players so it’s huge for them and gives them an opportunity.”
http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/story/1574621-reece-clark-welcome-addition-to-ou

So basically, per our own OC, we don't have enough arms to give all of the new faces at WR enough reps (and he said the above when we had 5 QBs). And we sure as hell can't let Mayfield hold onto the ball as much as he likes to or have called QB runs. We may want to lean on the pistol formation and run out it....often.

Very interesting quote by Riley. He may have to change his story unless OU can find another QB. I think they will have four on campus counting the 2016 rookie. If we can't find a fifth QB, does that mean we can't do well next season? I wouldn't have thought 5 QBs were involved in the practice rotation. Taking away reps from the starter and back-up???

The only issue I have with the Stoops fired Heupel so Stoops agreed with me that Heupel sucked is that it depends on the actual reason for the firing to be what is assumed in order to be valid logic. The only thing Stoops really commented was that he felt that they needed to move in a new direction. What exactly does that mean?

It could mean that Stoops was more comfortable with and wanted to return to the Mumme/Leach style of offense, of which Heupel was not a protege. Heupel is a Long/Wilson protege. And Norvell was not a Mumme/Leach protege either. It was widely discussed (and gleefully embraced here) that Heupel was trying to run an offense that included a running QB. Maybe Stoops didn't like/wasn't comfortable with that style of offense and that's why he let them go. One thing the majority of us had an issue with was the readily visible chains put on Knight's legs. Who was responsible for that? I doubt we'll know the answer but it could very well include Bob Stoops given his previous experience with injured starting QBs.

It could mean that they weren't cutting it on the recruiting trail. Norvell had a knack for bringing in some big names that never contributed. The Jekyll and Hyde QB play was puzzling. In 2014, there were two distinct things that seemed to cause derailment offensively. Sterling Shepard's injury and Knight's injury. The teams that could handle OU's run game beat them decisively. The other three games were very much competitive. The abrupt departure of a field goal kicking game also played a role. OU lost some high level contributors from 2013, namely Saunders, two senior running backs, and a very talented FB. Were the players behind them unprepared? They appeared to be at times. None of the QBs were scrubs coming out of HS. Did Heupel abandon things that helped him coach White and Bradford to success? Did the OC role demand too much time? Did they end up being unfortunate and landing QBs that peaked in HS?

Or could it be that expectations weren't met and Stoops had to do something to make a change. I don't profess to know big money donor influences and politics, but I do know they can make waves, big waves. Several media outlets pointed to Heupel and Norvell being scapegoats for a more glaring issue. Stoops denied that. The defensive performance of 2014 leaves a bad taste in the mouth though. Mike Stoops fielded a defense that gave up more points in 2014 than any other year in Bob Stoops tenure. Maybe fire somebody had to be done and he wasn't going to fire his brother.

I don't expect anybody to change their minds. Your opinion is your own and that applies to everyone here. I'm an evidence based guy, so I look objectively at stats and results. When I look at 2014 and the three years prior, I don't see an OC in over his head because the results don't support that conclusion to me. I also am not sold on Riley, award or not. He looked average when Mayfield was out a half. Actually, he looked lost to me. I suspect that Mayfield is one of those guys that can make an average OC look good. I like a larger body of evidence to draw a conclusion. Give me a few years and I'll have a better opinion on Riley. Not everybody thinks like me and there is nothing wrong with that.

All that said, civil and mature conversation is why I'm here so I appreciate your conversation as always Micco. I've read your posts for years and often you are spot on. On the subject of Heupel, I don't agree 100%. It would be cool to move time backward and plug Heupel/Norvell back in to see what their results would have been. But if that was possible I'd be Warlord Emperor of the Universe. So as I do after every season, my mind moves forward with the excitement that the ups and downs the next season will bring. Someday we'll have that beer and you can tell me everything you know about wrestling, a subject I'm mostly ignorant on.

The only issue I have with the Stoops fired Heupel so Stoops agreed with me that Heupel sucked is that it depends on the actual reason for the firing to be what is assumed in order to be valid logic. The only thing Stoops really commented was that he felt that they needed to move in a new direction. What exactly does that mean?

It could mean that Stoops was more comfortable with and wanted to return to the Mumme/Leach style of offense, of which Heupel was not a protege. Heupel is a Long/Wilson protege. And Norvell was not a Mumme/Leach protege either. It was widely discussed (and gleefully embraced here) that Heupel was trying to run an offense that included a running QB. Maybe Stoops didn't like/wasn't comfortable with that style of offense and that's why he let them go. One thing the majority of us had an issue with was the readily visible chains put on Knight's legs. Who was responsible for that? I doubt we'll know the answer but it could very well include Bob Stoops given his previous experience with injured starting QBs.

It could mean that they weren't cutting it on the recruiting trail. Norvell had a knack for bringing in some big names that never contributed. The Jekyll and Hyde QB play was puzzling. In 2014, there were two distinct things that seemed to cause derailment offensively. Sterling Shepard's injury and Knight's injury. The teams that could handle OU's run game beat them decisively. The other three games were very much competitive. The abrupt departure of a field goal kicking game also played a role. OU lost some high level contributors from 2013, namely Saunders, two senior running backs, and a very talented FB. Were the players behind them unprepared? They appeared to be at times. None of the QBs were scrubs coming out of HS. Did Heupel abandon things that helped him coach White and Bradford to success? Did the OC role demand too much time? Did they end up being unfortunate and landing QBs that peaked in HS?

Or could it be that expectations weren't met and Stoops had to do something to make a change. I don't profess to know big money donor influences and politics, but I do know they can make waves, big waves. Several media outlets pointed to Heupel and Norvell being scapegoats for a more glaring issue. Stoops denied that. The defensive performance of 2014 leaves a bad taste in the mouth though. Mike Stoops fielded a defense that gave up more points in 2014 than any other year in Bob Stoops tenure. Maybe fire somebody had to be done and he wasn't going to fire his brother.

I don't expect anybody to change their minds. Your opinion is your own and that applies to everyone here. I'm an evidence based guy, so I look objectively at stats and results. When I look at 2014 and the three years prior, I don't see an OC in over his head because the results don't support that conclusion to me. I also am not sold on Riley, award or not. He looked average when Mayfield was out a half. Actually, he looked lost to me. I suspect that Mayfield is one of those guys that can make an average OC look good. I like a larger body of evidence to draw a conclusion. Give me a few years and I'll have a better opinion on Riley. Not everybody thinks like me and there is nothing wrong with that.

All that said, civil and mature conversation is why I'm here so I appreciate your conversation as always Micco. I've read your posts for years and often you are spot on. On the subject of Heupel, I don't agree 100%. It would be cool to move time backward and plug Heupel/Norvell back in to see what their results would have been. But if that was possible I'd be Warlord Emperor of the Universe. So as I do after every season, my mind moves forward with the excitement that the ups and downs the next season will bring. Someday we'll have that beer and you can tell me everything you know about wrestling, a subject I'm mostly ignorant on.

Tic-Toc, this post covers an awful lot and is well stated. Excellent points. Admittedly, I need to ponder a bit, but there is a lot we can agreed upon. I would like you to post more often.

Tic-Toc, this post covers an awful lot and is well stated. Excellent points. Admittedly, I need to ponder a bit, but there is a lot we can agreed upon. I would like you to post more often.
Thanks Oklabama. I'd like to post more often but I'm a slow typist and I read much more than I post, as that is what time allows. I wish OU football was higher on my list. This is also the period for the recruiting junkies and I don't care about recruiting or the sunshine pumping/doom and gloom posts that go with it. I call it my dead period. My wife likes this period because come March, it's Spring Ball and March Madness.

My opinion is no more right than anyone else's. Just another perspective. I just wish the folks on here who don't seem to get along would take a moment and realize it's OK that we don't all think the same. I get venom towards those with differing political and religious beliefs (actually I don't ) but we're all Sooner fans and if nothing else, we share that. I'm a fan of pounding the obvious trolls though. That's just the nature of the message board. Trolls aside, plenty of folks on here share good points and perspectives even if we don't all agree. In my message board utopia, those that disagree would respectfully post why, and when it's obvious disagreement is the final product, at least be respectful and thank each other for sharing their perspective. Otherwise this board is a wasteland of urine soaked loafers (for fitty).

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Scary qb situation in 2016 I can guarantee you the coaches will ask BM to play much smarter since he now has a huge target on his back
A concern I have now about Riley is the departure of three scholarship QBs from the roster since his arrival. Not to say it isn't justified, it's just a LOT and leaves this guy concerned. Does he already have his guys on the depth chart and Knight/Thomas aren't in it? Are Knight/Thomas obviously not good fits for his offense and he let them know? Does he project that he's settled and there is no way to compete for the depth chart? Do the departing guys not buy in? Hansen leaving was tough for the depth chart, but Knight and Thomas leave things looking quite bare unless there are studs in the closet awaiting spring to come out.

Thanks Oklabama. I'd like to post more often but I'm a slow typist and I read much more than I post, as that is what time allows. I wish OU football was higher on my list. This is also the period for the recruiting junkies and I don't care about recruiting or the sunshine pumping/doom and gloom posts that go with it. I call it my dead period. My wife likes this period because come March, it's Spring Ball and March Madness.

My opinion is no more right than anyone else's. Just another perspective. I just wish the folks on here who don't seem to get along would take a moment and realize it's OK that we don't all think the same. I get venom towards those with differing political and religious beliefs (actually I don't ) but we're all Sooner fans and if nothing else, we share that. I'm a fan of pounding the obvious trolls though. That's just the nature of the message board. Trolls aside, plenty of folks on here share good points and perspectives even if we don't all agree. In my message board utopia, those that disagree would respectfully post why, and when it's obvious disagreement is the final product, at least be respectful and thank each other for sharing their perspective. Otherwise this board is a wasteland of urine soaked loafers (for fitty).

Damn...oh well.

Even Jesus had his detractors...:eek:

Damn...oh well.

Even Jesus had his detractors...:eek:
And that's exactly why you are one of my favorite posters of all time. You know where you fit in, and that is at the top of the food chain. You bring "it" to every occasion. So does the Mad Giffer K2C, but don't tell him that. Then there is Senior Sooner... I'd add a line that you would, but I'm not the oratory genius you are, so I'd just sound like a pervert.

Speaking of which, did you know there are 3 levels of pervertedness? There's the prevert who keeps all of the pervert stuff to himself. Then there's the pervert who shares perverted things with his friends. And then there's the provert. The provert invites his grandmother and great aunt over on Friday mornings to watch porn.

And that's exactly why you are one of my favorite posters of all time. You know where you fit in, and that is at the top of the food chain. You bring "it" to every occasion. So does the Mad Giffer K2C, but don't tell him that. Then there is Senior Sooner... I'd add a line that you would, but I'm not the oratory genius you are, so I'd just sound like a pervert.

Speaking of which, did you know there are 3 levels of pervertedness? There's the prevert who keeps all of the pervert stuff to himself. Then there's the pervert who shares perverted things with his friends. And then there's the provert. The provert invites his grandmother and great aunt over on Friday mornings to watch porn.

You're my favorite alarm clock.....HA!

You repeated and summarized EXACTLY what Plaino and I preached all of last year about Coach Heupel...and a few LISTENED! Did you just become my new best friend??? ;) You're still aces in my book.

A concern I have now about Riley is the departure of three scholarship QBs from the roster since his arrival. Not to say it isn't justified, it's just a LOT and leaves this guy concerned. Does he already have his guys on the depth chart and Knight/Thomas aren't in it? Are Knight/Thomas obviously not good fits for his offense and he let them know? Does he project that he's settled and there is no way to compete for the depth chart? Do the departing guys not buy in? Hansen leaving was tough for the depth chart, but Knight and Thomas leave things looking quite bare unless there are studs in the closet awaiting spring to come out.
VERY concerning. Lets see how he responds.

Thanks SoonerTulsan.

No I'm not. No gif can prove it. Besides old man, stop stalking me. Past your bed time. Must be drunk posting or playing video games.

Okay you're my favorite "ticking bomb"....HA!

Back to my pong game. Yeah, I really had one of those games.......

article-2238754-1639145C000005DC-968_634x475.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting quote by Riley. He may have to change his story unless OU can find another QB. I think they will have four on campus counting the 2016 rookie. If we can't find a fifth QB, does that mean we can't do well next season? I wouldn't have thought 5 QBs were involved in the practice rotation. Taking away reps from the starter and back-up???
Dont we have 5 on campus now, Mayfield, Murray, the 2 walk-ons and the freshman that enrolled early

It will be interesting. Riley is young and new to OU and the honeymoon is still on. I'm excited for the possibilities but have realistic expectations.

I so agree & look forward to his future accomplishments while guiding the Sooners. The future is always now, but it's nice to see his early success in his first year.

I so agree & look forward to his future accomplishments while guiding the Sooners. The future is always now, but it's nice to see his early success in his first year.
If he can build on Mayfield (a freak in walkons clothing) and produce, provided he has adequate support, OU should be in the picture for a few years.

It will be interesting. Riley is young and new to OU and the honeymoon is still on. I'm excited for the possibilities but have realistic expectations.
I like what Ive seen working with the OLine Coach setting up plays and defenses later in the game. Tennessee was a terrific example, as was Baylor. However, he's also had some noticeably shaky times.

The first half at Tennessee and the RRS I wrote off as learning to adapt your offense to the players you have. We've been Blessed in that all or our OCs since Stoops arrived have taken this approach with success. I'm referring to the 2nd half of the TCU game and our lack of running game to set up the pass in the 3rd quarter against Clemson before Perine and Mixon both got hurt. Didn't make sense given our success in the first half. Granted, a couple of blocking breakdowns and two boneheaded plays by Quick killed us and forced us into playing catch up?

The TCU game made me believe even more that it was Mayfield that was the major difference in our offense this year, not Riley. With his depth issues at QB now, if I'm even partially right, losing Mayfield might get Riley tarred and feathered by the trolls here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT