ADVERTISEMENT

Will we ever get a Samija Perine again?

Your sister probably remembers my daughter Marcie. She was a high school football cheerleader and home coming queen in 90 or 91.....

Catoosa was a major power in wrestling at one time. Maybe not like Perry, but still powerful...........

Last name Snovel by chance?

Your sister probably remembers my daughter Marcie. She was a high school football cheerleader and home coming queen in 90 or 91.....

Catoosa was a major power in wrestling at one time. Maybe not like Perry, but still powerful...........

You're right, we had in a 10 year span something like 12 state champs, 10 runner ups and multiple placers. Josh won 1 and tooksecondtwice. I did the same. Chuck won 2 or 3 in a row. We slaughtered Perry in my day. Dual state, Marlow and Coweta are who we couldn't climb the hurdle against.

You guy's are going to yell at me, but I just haven't seen the Mixon factor yet. Am I wrong?
No, but I'd say people's expectations may be a little high for a kid that was just a freshman, and who had basically been out of football for an entire year. To think we'd see the second coming of AD, with Perine already entrenched as the starter, and a new OC who really had to learn to incorporate the run more heavily than he had in the past, might have been a bit aggressive. I think he performed admirably under the circumstances, and if nothing else showed (to me) that when Perine does leave our backfield will still be in more than capable hands.

Reactions: CTOkie
Per my Dad per SoonerSports:

"From Soonersports.com. Josh Ferguson was 105-25 in HS at Catoosa and placed second in state his sr. year and won 50 matches by fall. He was coached by Jerry Goss. He was a freshman in 97-98 and redshirted. In 99-00 he wrestled in open tournaments only. In 2001-02 he placed 5th at thej Oklahoma Gold Classic."

Jerry and I were teammates at NEO.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
CT...I don't see any back we have with the power of Perine. None. Not a problem if we go to a Q type back. Just throwing some stuff out to get responses..................

We haven't had a 240 lb bowling ball in the stoops era other than perrine, and only a couple really in themhistory of the program. There just aren't many kids like him. That said we haven't recruited anybody that you would call a "scat back" since Riley arrived with the possible exception of the JUCO kid in this class. Adams is a 215 lb guy out of HS as was Sermon. That is demarco Murray, Adrian Peterson size. Were they scat backs? I think we will recruit guys who can run and catch and stress defenses, and those guys can look like Q or AD, or Perrine.

If OU recruits another Perine-type back it will have to do with factors such as the style of offense OU will be using (which shouldn't be a problem in and of itself) and who the coaches are. Perine liked Gundy and OU's style of offense.....such a scenario can happen again if and when a bulldozer like Perine comes along.

Perine = Campbell....you are kidding, right? Perine barely makes OU's top 10 RB's let alone being the equal of Campbell. Don't get me wrong.....I'm a big Perine fan and he's a very good back but let's not get carried away.

I was poking around SoonerStats.com and took a look at Sooner Career Rushers.

Perine is #10 in rushing yards at 3,062. If he even averages his rushing yards from the previous 2 seasons, he'll make 4,593. That's only 475 more yards than our current leading rusher, Billy Simms (4,118). If he only matches his 2015 performance, then he ends up with 4,411, only 293 more than Simms.

Let's say he matches 2015 which will be an average of 104 yds/game.

He will pass Greg Pruitt at #9 during the Houston game.
He will pass Stanley Wilson at #8 during the Louisianna-Monroe game.
He will pass De'mond Parker at #7 during the TCU game.
He will pass Demarco Murray at #6 on his last rush of the Kansas State game.
He will pass Quentin Griffin at #5 during the Iowa State game.
He will pass Steve Owens, Adrian Peterson, and Joe Washington for #2 during the Baylor game.
and... he will pass Billy Simms as the leading all-time rusher during the West Virginia game.

Other notables:

Y/A Leaders (more than 2,000 yds)
1. Greg Pruitt 7.40
2. Leon Heath 7.03
3. Billy Simms 6.94
4. Clendon Thomas 6.81
5. Samaje Perine 6.26

100 Yd Game Leaders
1. Steve Owens 23
2. Adrian Peterson 22
3. Billy Simms 20
4. Joe Washington 19
5. Quentin Griffin 16
De'Mond Parker
7. Demarco Murray 15
8. Greg Pruitt 12
9. Samaje Perine 11

He will probably be 5th on that list after this season.

200 Yd Game Leaders
1. Billy Simms 7
2. Adrian Peterson 6
3. De'Mond Parker 5
4. Samaje Perine 4
Quentin Griffin
Mike Gaddis

He will probably be tied for 2nd or 3rd after this season.

TD Leaders
1. Steve Owens 57
2. Billy Simms 53
3. Demarco Murray 50
4. Quentin Griffin 44
5. Chris Brown 42
6. Adrian Peterson 41
7. Joe Washington 39
8. Greg Pruitt 38
9. Samaje Perine 37

He could be #2 after this season.

If he accomplished all of that, he would be our #1 leading rusher in history, plus he would be Top 5 in every other meaningful rushing rankings.
There's only one other guy in Sooner history that is Top 5 in every rushing ranking... Billy Simms.

I was poking around SoonerStats.com and took a look at Sooner Career Rushers.

Perine is #10 in rushing yards at 3,062. If he even averages his rushing yards from the previous 2 seasons, he'll make 4,593. That's only 475 more yards than our current leading rusher, Billy Simms (4,118). If he only matches his 2015 performance, then he ends up with 4,411, only 293 more than Simms.

Let's say he matches 2015 which will be an average of 104 yds/game.

He will pass Greg Pruitt at #9 during the Houston game.
He will pass Stanley Wilson at #8 during the Louisianna-Monroe game.
He will pass De'mond Parker at #7 during the TCU game.
He will pass Demarco Murray at #6 on his last rush of the Kansas State game.
He will pass Quentin Griffin at #5 during the Iowa State game.
He will pass Steve Owens, Adrian Peterson, and Joe Washington for #2 during the Baylor game.
and... he will pass Billy Simms as the leading all-time rusher during the West Virginia game.

Other notables:

Y/A Leaders (more than 2,000 yds)
1. Greg Pruitt 7.40
2. Leon Heath 7.03
3. Billy Simms 6.94
4. Clendon Thomas 6.81
5. Samaje Perine 6.26

100 Yd Game Leaders
1. Steve Owens 23
2. Adrian Peterson 22
3. Billy Simms 20
4. Joe Washington 19
5. Quentin Griffin 16
De'Mond Parker
7. Demarco Murray 15
8. Greg Pruitt 12
9. Samaje Perine 11

He will probably be 5th on that list after this season.

200 Yd Game Leaders
1. Billy Simms 7
2. Adrian Peterson 6
3. De'Mond Parker 5
4. Samaje Perine 4
Quentin Griffin
Mike Gaddis

He will probably be tied for 2nd or 3rd after this season.

TD Leaders
1. Steve Owens 57
2. Billy Simms 53
3. Demarco Murray 50
4. Quentin Griffin 44
5. Chris Brown 42
6. Adrian Peterson 41
7. Joe Washington 39
8. Greg Pruitt 38
9. Samaje Perine 37

He could be #2 after this season.

If he accomplished all of that, he would be our #1 leading rusher in history, plus he would be Top 5 in every other meaningful rushing rankings.
There's only one other guy in Sooner history that is Top 5 in every rushing ranking... Billy Simms.

Personally, I think Perine, regardless of stats, would be hard pressed to be in the top 10 of all time OU running backs. That isn't a shot at Perine. OU has just had numerous great players at that position.

Perine's second choice was Alabama as I recall. LSU was also involved. I'm just wondering with the new offense if we can recruit the power backs or are we going for scat backs? Perines numbers were way down last year.

Just something to ponder................ So yell at me...................:)

It likely depends on your definition of a scat back. Anderson is the last OU RB not recruited by Riley and he is now 6'1 and about 210. That isn't a scat back to me. Brooks is 5'8 and 184 with the quicks and speed and he is closer to my definition of a scat back. In Riley's two classes he brought in Adams who is 6' and 205 and Riley has a commitment for the 2017 class in Sermon who is 6'1 and 220. I see Anderson, Adams and Sermon as being power backs. So, it doesn't look to me like Riley is focused on the kind of kids that I think of as scat backs. Q was my definition of a scat back. I think Riley thinks that Adams and Sermon type backs fit his offense. My guess is that Riley will take any type of RB that he thinks fits his offense and that he can win with.

It likely depends on your definition of a scat back. Anderson is the last OU RB not recruited by Riley and he is now 6'1 and about 210. That isn't a scat back to me. Brooks is 5'8 and 184 with the quicks and speed and he is closer to my definition of a scat back. In Riley's two classes he brought in Adams who is 6' and 205 and Riley has a commitment for the 2017 class in Sermon who is 6'1 and 220. I see Anderson, Adams and Sermon as being power backs. So, it doesn't look to me like Riley is focused on the kind of kids that I think of as scat backs. Q was my definition of a scat back. I think Riley thinks that Adams and Sermon type backs fit his offense. My guess is that Riley will take any type of RB that he thinks fits his offense and that he can win with.

See #2 on this post. I know you read that board Roy G........

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-post-wednesday-june-15th

As I said, "it likely depends on your definition of a scat back. I've watched some of Adams highlight film and I see him as a power back who can also be very elusive. If someone wants to say he is a scat back I wouldn't argue the point as it is very subjective. Adams will likely grow into a 210 to 215 pounder. Personally, I don't care how anyone labels an OU RB who has Adams quicks and that can play at the 210 to 215 weight.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Perine reminds me of Earl when he trucks the would be tackler. Earl has more tools available. The main reason I compare them is the demeanor they both have. Both of them are humble and genuine. I met Earl at the rodeo years ago. He was promoting his sausage. Big smoker going and Earl greeting everyone. He's one of my favorites. I love Perine though.

Personally, I think Perine, regardless of stats, would be hard pressed to be in the top 10 of all time OU running backs. That isn't a shot at Perine. OU has just had numerous great players at that position.

It's too early to add him to the list and too late to not think he can be one of the greatest. He has two years to give. The fact that his name is even being mentioned in the group after his performances in his Freshman & Sophmore years is telling. If he stays for his senior year, he is on track to shatter OU's all time greats.

It's too early to add him to the list and too late to not think he can be one of the greatest. He has two years to give. The fact that his name is even being mentioned in the group after his performances in his Freshman & Sophmore years is telling. If he stays for his senior year, he is on track to shatter OU's all time greats.
So you are saying that if he stays 2 more years, breaks all the records, then you would put him as the #1 back in OU history? I personally couldn't go that far. Its hard to compare him to others, but I don't think I could ever put him in the same category as Billy Sims, Joe Washington, or AD. I'm not sure I wouldn't put Demond Parker ahead of Perine. Again, I love Perine. He is a great kid and a powerful running back with a lot of talent. As you said, for him to even be mentioned with all the greats is an accomplishment.

Perine will be playing his final year in 2016 and will be a first round pick, barring injury, in the 2017 NFL draft.
Based on his track record thus far.....two years and 3,062 yards....he should finish his 3 year career around 4,500 yards.
Personally, I would rate Perine among the five top running backs ever at Oklahoma....with Sims, Peterson, Washington and Murray, even after three years. (Peterson had only the equivalent of two seasons due to injuries and foregoing his senior year).

So you are saying that if he stays 2 more years, breaks all the records, then you would put him as the #1 back in OU history? I personally couldn't go that far. Its hard to compare him to others, but I don't think I could ever put him in the same category as Billy Sims, Joe Washington, or AD. I'm not sure I wouldn't put Demond Parker ahead of Perine. Again, I love Perine. He is a great kid and a powerful running back with a lot of talent. As you said, for him to even be mentioned with all the greats is an accomplishment.

Like CT has said, I doubt he will stay. But if he did, and shattered all other backs, wins anothe Big12 title, well heck yes, I'd put him up on top. Why wouldn't you? Because he's a new comer? Just don't understand your logic. This is moot though as he may break a bunch of records, but he's set to make Millions and I think he goes Pro.

Like CT has said, I doubt he will stay. But if he did, and shattered all other backs, wins anothe Big12 title, well heck yes, I'd put him up on top. Why wouldn't you? Because he's a new comer? Just don't understand your logic. This is moot though as he may break a bunch of records, but he's set to make Millions and I think he goes Pro.
Perine, like Sims, Washington, Peterson and Murray have unique talents that leads me into personally preferring these five backs over the others.
Dupree may have had the most talent of all but he gave OU very little beyond the 1982 season and I won't ever rank him in my top ten based upon a single season and a boat load of headaches.

You would put Perine over Billy Sims, who was the 1st overall draft pick? Over AD and Joe Washington? I can't even begin to go there

You would put Perine over Billy Sims, who was the 1st overall draft pick? Over AD and Joe Washington? I can't even begin to go there

IF, and a BIG IF Perine stays for his Sr year, shatters records, yes he over Billy Sims providing a National Title is included. This is based on their time at OU only & nothing regarding the NFL. But keep in mind, all of us will think completely different (including you) regarding Perine IF he stays and IF he shatters records. He will be the talk of CFB when / IF this occurs.

Speaking for myself, I would not rate Perine over the other four backs I mentioned....I put him AMONG the other four backs, and that's not based so much on statistics but rather unique running styles and including pass catching and blocking ability.

Speaking for myself, I would not rate Perine over the other four backs I mentioned....I put him AMONG the other four backs, and that's not based so much on statistics but rather unique running styles and including pass catching and blocking ability.
Neither would I CT. As I mentioned earlier, IF Perine continues to progress and has a great final year or two then he would be in the conversation of being a top 10 all time RB at OU which is saying something. My personal opinion is you can't simply look at stats (Landry) and anoint someone as being the greatest of all time. There are many other factors involved

Reactions: CTOkie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT