ADVERTISEMENT

Will TE be a big part of the O any time soon?

BawlzDeep

OU scholarship offer
Dec 16, 2013
I am forced to watch old Jermaine Gresham and a few Belldozer highlights. Andrews is awesome but underutilized or injured :(.

I love watching a TE burn a LB and streak down the middle of the field, leaving smoke trails. OU has recruited some guys in the past who never really materialized into threats.

I think OU can be virtually unstoppable if the TEs get 7 to 10 looks a game.

I would also like to see Andrews getting more touches. Dede being the playmaker he was, maybe that took some possible attention away from Andrews. Dede was just a home-run threat every time the ball was thrown to him. I am leaning towards this coming season Andrews getting a much bigger role in the offense since he really is the most experienced pass catcher returning.

I am forced to watch old Jermaine Gresham and a few Belldozer highlights. Andrews is awesome but underutilized or injured :(.

I love watching a TE burn a LB and streak down the middle of the field, leaving smoke trails. OU has recruited some guys in the past who never really materialized into threats.

I think OU can be virtually unstoppable if the TEs get 7 to 10 looks a game.
The TE position is one I've seen evolved as a "hybrid" position, a combination of a wide receiver and TE, sometimes called a Joker TE.
The "H-back" is now a blend, or "hybrid", of the fullback and TE position.
I see this "hybridization" the result of players getting bigger, faster and better and the game of football having rules that favor the passing game.

I will probably show my lack of football knowledge on this post,
but how can the NFL get maximum use of their tightends where
at the college level doesn't. And I'm thinking about Jason Witten.
Is it the personel, the scheme or something else. I honestly
don't know but I don't recall OU using a TE much since
Gresham left. Maybe it's all about the spread and the WR's.
Once again I ask because I don't know.

I don't pretend to be an expert on anything nfl but looking at players like Hanna & Witten I see big bodies on extremely talented athletes that are strong enough to handle pro blocking assignments plus the quickness and the hands needed to catch tough passes and do good things after the catch, more so than the average TE that blocks only.​

Reactions: harolds
It's harder to score like you need to score, when you're using a tight end. The NFL is a very different game. They are ever so slowly moving in the direction that the college game has, with quarterback mobility and athleticism part of the game, but the best pro teams still use a pocket passer who reads defenses and distributes the ball to have the most success.

The differences between offenses of true precision, can make a tight end a weapon. But college passers need bigger receiving windows to fit it in there. The best way to make that happen is the threat of the qb run game, tying up an extra linebacker at least a little.

OU plays one tight end body type on most plays, often with a fullback. But that tight end isn't lined up a foot from the OTackle. With so much quarterback run dependent zone read, lining him up eight yards wide, makes zone read easier to accomplish. OU doesn't run the quarterback as much as some others, but the threat is still there against the best opponents. We ran Baker in several important parts of the Auburn game.

Some basketball guru's used to say there are four or five great point guards at any time in the NBA, whether there are a dozen teams or 30. It's kind of that way at the college football level. It's a specific body type, and skill set. There just aren't that many of those guys.

The old college tight end, from say the wishbone days, looked the part. He was big and strong and could block. Watch Victor Hicks, whose two blocks gave Joe Washington a chance to be great at the end of the great comeback at Mizzou in the 1975 championship season. He looked like a pro tight end.

But a pro tight end has to be able to ctdb, and block big guys, and read defenses and run precise pass routes with some nuance. The old college tight ends looked that part, and would get wide open some in run oriented offenses, not because they were great route runners, but because a couple of times a game, the defender assigned to cover them forgot trying to take the quarterback in the triple option.

Throwing to that guy is easier when he's not lined up next to the tackle. More space in college makes it easier to run the ball. More space in the NFL gets your quarterback killed.

I believe it to be simple. It's talent. The names mentioned in this thread regarding quality tight ends for OU (Grisham & Hanna) are both playing in the NFL. We simply haven't had the talent. I think Andrews is solid. Whether or not OU can exploit his skills is one thing, but if he keeps adding weight w/o losing speed, he'll be playing on Sundays as well.

James Hanna? Mark Andrews has already done more in 2 years than Hanna did in 4 years at OU. Andrews has just as many receptions for more yards and TDs (16 to 9) in just 2 years.

Yeah, Hanna was more of a blocker and secret weapon. Andrews is a main target when healthy.
Hanna had several clutch receptions especially the long play against OSU in 2010 in a game where every point scored mattered. Andrews is more of an offensive threat but Hanna's body of work at OU was significant.

Reactions: iasooner1
I wife's favorite player always plays tight end. Starting back with Stephen Alexander and following up with Trent Smith, Joe Jon Finley (her all-time fav) and now Mark Andrews......hey, do you think it could be "tight end" that so damn attractive? I don't think I want to know! :eek:

I wife's favorite player always plays tight end. Starting back with Stephen Alexander and following up with Trent Smith, Joe Jon Finley (her all-time fav) and now Mark Andrews......hey, do you think it could be "tight end" that so damn attractive? I don't think I want to know! :eek:

Nah, she just likes tall guys with big feet. Nothing to worry about, 'Bama.

Another reason that NFL uses the is that with the TE lined up at the line of scrimmage, defenses have to put an extra player in the box opening up throwing lanes for the WR's. We will have 2 very good pass catching TE's on campus next season, Andrews and Calcatera. I personally think that OU's best offense was when we had 2-3 TE's in the game at the same time, it was a matchup nightmare. We have the personal to run that type of offense again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT