ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned in camp

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
Combining sources with media viewings with BV's thoughts. Here's what we've figured out, I think.

Quarterback
It's Dillon Gabriel's show, duh. The backup should be named Thursday evening when we talk with Venables again. Davis Beville felt like the guy two weeks ago. Since then, haven't heard or seen anything to change my mind. Curious to see if BV names a third-string or not, between General Booty and Nick Evers.

Running back
The room belongs to Eric Gray, in every way possible. One of the best pieces of news from camp is the emergence of Marcus Major doing all the little things right to earn bigger opportunities this season. It does feel like there can/will be a role for guys like Jovantae Barnes (great spring), Gavin Sawchuk (speed), Bentavious Thompson (knows the offense), Tawee Walker (bowling ball), but think you ride Gray and Major and see how far they take you.

Wide receiver
Prob the one position know very little about compared to the rest. You were waiting to hear names like Theo Wease and Jalil Farooq, but people kept coming back to Nic Anderson and esp Jayden Gibson. Now are they good good? Or just freshmen good? You know what you have in Marvin Mims and Drake Stoops. And really like the early impression from transfers LV Bunkley-Shelton and J.J. Hester. All Gavin Freeman does is make plays, almost forcing you to put him somewhere. Wease and Farooq, though, will tell you a lot about what to expect from the room.

Tight end
Love the one-two punch of Brayden Willis and Daniel Parker. And let's all rejoice when Parker gets to hit somebody. I view Willis as the heart and soul of the offense, see if his production proves him right for coming back one more season. Will Kaden Helms and/or Jason Llewelyn redshirt?

Offensive line
There's your five. LT Anton Harrison, LG McKade Mettauer, C Andrew Raym, RG Chris Murray, RT Wanya Morris. That sounds like a dang stout group. Add in guys like tackle Tyler Guyton, center Robert Congel, guard Savion Byrd, the two Jakes (Sexton, Taylor), and that's not bad. You wish might have heard more about Aaryn Parks or a Brey Walker, but really haven't.

Defensive line
Think Miguel Chavis can go a legitimate six-man rotation between Ethan Downs, Jonah Laulu, Marcus Stripling, Reggie Grimes and splice in Clayton Smith and R Mason Thomas. I'd put Downs as a for sure starter, but I wonder about the other spot. Feels like it could be any of 'em on any particular day.

Moving to tackle, ugh, what's up with Jalen Redmond? We know the slight concussion from two weeks ago. Now he's practicing off to the side earlier this week. Can't get a break in his fifth year in the program? If not, Jordan Kelley and Jeffery Johnson seem to be the guys, with Isaiah Coe, Josh Ellison and Kelvin Gilliam behind them.

Linebacker
Begins with David Ugwoegbu taking that next step and being the voice of the defense. Ugwoegbu and Danny Stutsman sounds like a great combo here going forward. You kept hearing the word versatile for DaShaun White, so you figure that means he's too good to be kept off the field but he's not a MIKE anymore. If Willis the heart 'n soul of offense, I feel White is the same on defense. Pencil him in for the Cheetah role and see how it evolves. Loss of TD Roof hurts with the experience he had, and not really one word regarding Shane Whitter this month. That has to change. You love the feel-good story-ness of a Jake McCoy, but gonna need more depth. And which one of those freshmen steps up first between Kobie McKinzie, Kip Lewis, Jaren Kanak (Cheetah?)?

Defensive back
Take what we said about the offensive line getting the right five guys, copy/paste it with the secondary feeling like it's the right five guys. If it's Woodi Washington and D.J. Graham at CB, with Key Lawrence and Billy Bowman at safeties and Justin Harrington at safety/Cheetah... a lot to like. Then just wait 'n see who keeps pushing them b/c there are your transfers in CJ Coldon, Trey Morrison and Kani Walker. Your sixth-year dude in Justin Broiles. Guys who needed a fresh start like Joshua Eaton and Bryson Washington. Damond Harmon mentioned a few times this month. And then OKPreps youth galore with Jordan Mukes, Robert Spears-Jennings, Jayden Rowe and Gentry Williams. Even Jaden Davis sounds like a different player, but I'd have to see it first.

Special teams
Michael Turk is your punter. Zach Schmit is your kicker. We never saw kickoff returns, sorry. But punt returns featured Eric Gray, LV Bunkley-Shelton, Billy Bowman and Drake Stoops. Suppose everybody is hoping for the same thing in being aggressive in returning kicks again instead of just fair catching it 50-75 percent of the time. I'll be curious to watch the coverage units and which true freshmen have earned the right to be on those groups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News