ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Visitor Notes...(UPDATE: MON 4:09p)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE: MON 4:09p - OK, just a short little update but I doubt you'll like any I've posted in this thread any more. I talked to one source about Kelly's just concluded visit and was told this.

"I'll be totally shocked if (Oklahoma) doesn't land him."

UPDATE: MON 4:06p -
Also just realized I didn't post an update following my conversation with Ben Powers of El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C. last night.

He clearly really liked his trip but is still wanting to take all four of his remaining visits. That being said he knows he is in a time crunch because he is a December grad and wants to be done with it on junior college signing day (to tell you how quick this is all happening for him, he didn't even know the date).

Powers will visit TCU this weekend and is hoping Michigan State, Ohio State, and LSU (or some collection like it) will get serious about him and invite him for trips.

I think he expects to pick OU out of his current options but any of those three listed I think could change some things for him.

UPDATE: MON 4:01p -
OK Fresno (Calif.) Clovis West linebacker Caleb Kelly has headed home and should be arriving in California later this afternoon. Thus the visit weekend is officially over.

I don't have a ton on Kelly just yet but from what I gathered early in the weekend it sounds like, he and several others, really hit it off with the current commitments - Austin Kendall, Chanse Sylvie, etc. - and that the visit was going very, very well. I've got no reason to think that changed in the last 12-18 hours.

UPDATE: 9:25p -
After multiple flight delays, 4-star WR Velus Jones just landed back in Mobile. After catching up with Jones, I think you all will like what he has to say about the visit. Scoop will have more, but wanted to pass along this quote:

"Oklahoma is the best college I've been to!"

I think OU may have put themselves in a great position after this visit.

- JD

UPDATE: 8:44p -
Talked with Rivals250 defensive tackle Chris Daniels about his trip to Norman this weekend and he may have been even more excited than EM-B. He spoke with me about how much he felt he, and a few others visiting this weekend, could make an impact on Oklahoma's defense, and team overall, if they all went to Norman together.

I felt like Oklahoma led coming in and I think they may now be running away with things.

"Coming into the visit I liked Oklahoma, now I love Oklahoma," Daniels said.

UPDATE: 6:30p -
Just hung up with Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove (can anyone name me the last Sooner signee from Cedar Grove?) Rivals250 linebacker Elysee (Eh-lee-zay) Mbem-Bosse.

In a word, he LOVED his visit to Oklahoma, I honestly don't think Oklahoma could have done more with him.

It sounds like he may still take his trip to Michigan this weekend but did admit that he was going to talk with his parents and pray about his decision following his trip.

If this was a week for commit predictions, he'd be on my list.

UPDATE: 6:21p -
Just talked with Goodman (Miss.) Holmes C.C. three-star wide receiver offer Dre Massey about his visit and it's clear he really liked his visit - said the Sooners surprised him. It's enough to move Oklahoma to No. 2 on his list, the problem is they are still behind Florida, who he has yet to visit.

I think this one is unlikely to work out for Oklahoma in spite of a really good visit. He seems pretty sold on the Gators but perhaps things could go poorly this coming weekend? I doubt it but it's probably Oklahoma's only hope.

UPDATE: 3:23p -
Have now spoken a bit with Webb City, Mo. three-star Missouri commitment Trystan Castillo. He wasn't offered today but was given the impression that one could be coming, perhaps even as early as this week. I'll have more with him shortly - going to try that format we discussed a few weeks ago.

Think it's clear he really liked the visit and will continue to be very interested if the Sooners choose to throw their hat in the ring.

UPDATE: 2:56p -
Talked briefly with Rivals250 linebacker Elysee Mbem-Bosse of Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove and though his words weren't at great length they were very telling of just how well things went for the Sooners.

"Amazing."

"LOVED IT." (was on Twitter, in all caps)

Good sign for the Sooners who I've felt were picking up a lot of steam with him for a month or so now.

UPDATE: 1:47p -
Talked to OKC john Marshall offensive tackle offer Tramonda Moore and for whatever reason the visit didn't do much for him.

"I wasn't too impressed," Moore said. "Maybe it was because it was an unofficial visit I just didn't have too much fun."

I've heard some talk that maybe he was supposed to hang out with a few players and that didn't work out the way he had hoped, but I'm not sure about that just yet. To throw a bit of salt in the wound he tells me he'll be visiting Oklahoma State officially this weekend.

UPDATE: 12:55p -
Continuing to hear very good things about Velus Jones, though he has left campus and to my knowledge did not commit.

I'm going to check more on this but again seems like, at bare minimum, he was very, very impressed by his visit.

UPDATE: 11:24a -
As Scoop predicted on Friday, Oklahoma has offered El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C. offensive lineman Bennett Powers.

ORIGINAL:
OK guys, a few notes to start off with.

*First, as of this moment I've not been told of any commitments but 'yet' is a word that was thrown around by two different sources - so let's see what happens as guys do their exit interviews with Bob Stoops.

*Caleb Kelly won't be leaving until tomorrow - so he'll get his full 48 hours on campus, I think that has to be a VERY good sign. Not that it's some late addition but in that he clearly has seen plenty of Norman before but is still going to spend as much time as possible on campus.

*On the other hand Velus Jones arrived early in Norman on Friday and should be leaving sometime shortly.

*I talked to Blake Hickey the Godley, Texas Kansas State commit. He told me that he had a chance to talk with Bill Bedenbaugh before the game last night and it sounds like he didn't commit to too much but with as many guys as there were on campus it says something that Bedenbaugh took some time with him.

*He also spent some time with Oklahoma City Bishop McGuinness 2018 offensive tackle Owen Condon who has some nice early buzz. Bedenbaugh was apparently quite complimentary 'he said he really likes my game', Condon said.

*Also heard some positive buzz about the visit of Broken Arrow, Okla. offensive guard Rowdy Frederick but am checking some more on all of that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News