ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Notes...(UPDATE: 8:59p)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE: 8:59p - Guys, I've had some more conversations tonight in regard to Oklahoma's situation with Jacob Phillips and largely things seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

I think he has spent the past few days mulling things over and though I continue to think there is a large part of him that would like to be at Oklahoma. But the problem is I think some around him are pushing LSU harder - harder than I expected honestly. I said this morning that I wasn't sure how much some of that chatter would weigh in with him.

As the day has gone on, more and more I think that is going to weigh very large in his choice.

I'm starting to think that the decision may not be left in his hands and if that's the case I don't see much chance for Oklahoma to win out.

I've even heard some talk that this thing may be resolved in the next 24 hours.

Sorry to be so fire and brimstone, but right now, it doesn't sound good at all.

UPDATE: 7:25p -
Yet another 2018 offer out ... this time to Gardena (Calif.) Serra Bryan Addison.

UPDATE: 5:23p -
Small little fyi ... Oklahoma will host ESPNU on National Signing Day. Norman was selected as 1 of 16 locations around the country that will host a live reporter.

Paul Carcaterra will do reports live from Norman.

UPDATE: 1:42p -
Oklahoma's head man got by to see 2018 QB Cameron Rising this afternoon.

UPDATE: 1:14p -
Another 2018 offer out today. This time to St. Louis (Mo.) Chaminade Rivals100 DT Trevor Trout.

UPDATE: 1:06p -
Oklahoma continues to send out 2018 offers ... today it's West Palm Beach (FL) Oxbridge Academy 2018 safety V’Lique Carte

UPDATE: 11:12a -
OK some of this will be repetitive for those of you who were in chat last night or to those who have read the transcript. But I wanted to go ahead and offer some of my more recent thoughts on the Jacob Phillips situation.

As I said yesterday, I think the more time that passes the better it is for Oklahoma and I'm slowly swinging back in the direction of Oklahoma hanging on to him.

The more I speak with people the more I get the feeling that this is a case where already having the commitment is paying big dividends for OU because I think Phillips takes his word as a very serious thing and the idea of flipping is something he has had to sit down and really consider. And in those considerations I think he has been left with some reminders of why he made the choice in the first place.

I can say that I can now confirm he has been in contact with Oklahoma to an increasing degree but I do think with both staffs he has been at arm's reach due to needing some time to think things over.

I've said it for about 24 hours now and I've had two others tell me the same, there is a strong feeling that Jacob wants to go to Oklahoma but that he has it in his head that LSU is going to 'better prepare him' as an elite linebacker. Now, I know you all don't agree just saying that's a general feeling I'm getting.

The thing I don't have a feel for? Just how strongly some around him are pushing LSU and just how much say they have in the situation. Are they going to make him choose LSU if that's what they feel is right? I don't think so but I don't know that definitely.

My impression is that it is, as I've alluded to for over a week - very similar to Addison Gumbs - where maybe some aren't convinced that Oklahoma is right but won't stand in Jacob's way if that's what he really wants to do.

That's not definitive or something I'm told, that's just my feel on the situation.

I'll keep checking around today for more facts but to this point in time Oklahoma is still expected to visit the Phillips family on Friday.

ORIGINAL: Alright, I've got some Jacob Phillips coming up but I thought we'd start with someone else just for some fun here.

That is yesterday's 2018 running back offer, Mychale Salahuddin, of Washington (D.C.) Woodson - the same school that produced Parnell Motley in 2016.

In speaking to him he had a chance to chat with Kerry Cooks about his offer and I think the Sooners are definitely a school he will be looking at and likely taking a trip to. And considering his tape I think that may look like a bigger deal a few months from now than it might right now.

Another player that will almost certainly be visiting Oklahoma is Council Bluffs (Iowa) Iowa Western C.C. 2018 offensive tackle Anthony Morrow, who told me that he is "definitely going down for a visit, that's no question."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News