ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Notes...(UPDATE: 7:16p)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE: 7:16p - So today was always going to be the key moment for the Sooners and Rivals250 Texas linebacker commitment Kobie McKinzie. Could Brent Venables, and Cale Gundy turn the tide in his recruitment after being a Sooners commitment for nearly two years?

And it seems Oklahoma made a huge impression during their visit at Lubbock Cooper high school.

"I thought coach Venables was incredible, I'd have signed up on the spot. It's not my decision though," his father, @WillTruby said.

Truby is, admirably, adamant that the decision will be his son's and right now it's unclear what may come next.

"It's just for Kobie to make his decision, it's that simple really."

I definitely get the feeling that Oklahoma has made a big impression on his family and that both of his parents seem to prefer, and may well have made that preference known, the idea of him returning to the Sooners and playing for 'the best linebacker coach in the country'.

What McKinzie does with all of that information? We'll have to wait and see.

ORIGINAL: At the time I was ready to run WOKE this morning I didn't have a definitive schedule for Brent Venables' meeting with Kobie McKinzie. That problem has now been fixed as the Sooners will be at Lubbock Cooper to sit down and talk with McKinzie and his family - and presumably the Cooper coaching staff at 3 p.m. today.

With McKinzie and how quick he is to make a decision and be final about it, I won't be surprised about anything. Texas could remain his choice, he could flip back to Oklahoma, or he could just elect to take some time and talk it over with his family.

I just don't know. But I do know the Sooners have a real shot here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News