ADVERTISEMENT

USC fires Grinch

I can't see any NFL team paying his Buyout, it has to be 60-80 Million. He signed a 10 year 110 million dollar contract.

I can't see any NFL team paying his Buyout, it has to be 60-80 Million. He signed a 10 year 110 million dollar contract.
Wouldn't that contract be broken if Riley left on his own accord? I am sure some lawyer would find a loophole in that case if Riley himself seeked the NFL job. Honestly if your an NFL owner would you want him as your HC considering he is a better OC than he is as the head honcho?

has riley ever had a DC that was successful? This is 2 of them he has fired midseason

This is actually his third DC, because Ruffin McNeill also coached a few games after Mike Stoops was fired.

Although Grinch is a horrible DC, I think the larger problem is Riley's philosophy and approach to football. The problems go way deeper than just the DC, like strength and conditioning, the overall culture of the program, cohesiveness, etc. He might have a real problem getting an elite DC, because it might be seen as career suicide.

I'm having fun this morning listening to all the USC fans in work's dining center bitch about the coaching staff.

This is great.

"Washington wasn't even doing anything clever. They were just running the ball over and over.

Yeah, USC was like a matador. Putting up a stop sign but then getting out of the way at the last second."

It was fun watching Grinch get scored on. He always had a pathetic look of inadequacy on his face.

It is Rileys coaching philosophy and that of many head coaches that are offensive-minded. I have been around many high school head coaches who were great OCs in their days like Riley. When it comes to practice they are usually geared toward the offenses. During live team action when you are going good on good, they protect the offensive players by having a quick whistle, or the #1 defense only goes up against the scout offense, and doesnt get a good look. Either way the defense is at a huge disadvantage. I would much rather have a HC that is defensive-minded, he just needs a good OC

I'm having fun this morning listening to all the USC fans in work's dining center bitch about the coaching staff.

This is great.

"Washington wasn't even doing anything clever. They were just running the ball over and over.

Yeah, USC was like a matador. Putting up a stop sign but then getting out of the way at the last second."
Grinch was Wiley Coyote…holding up HELP sign of futility.

This is actually his third DC, because Ruffin McNeill also coached a few games after Mike Stoops was fired.

Although Grinch is a horrible DC, I think the larger problem is Riley's philosophy and approach to football. The problems go way deeper than just the DC, like strength and conditioning, the overall culture of the program, cohesiveness, etc. He might have a real problem getting an elite DC, because it might be seen as career suicide.
Well I wasn't going to count McNeill since he was only a stop gap. McNeill actually called a good game against Texas in the championship game.

It is Rileys coaching philosophy and that of many head coaches that are offensive-minded. I have been around many high school head coaches who were great OCs in their days like Riley. When it comes to practice they are usually geared toward the offenses. During live team action when you are going good on good, they protect the offensive players by having a quick whistle, or the #1 defense only goes up against the scout offense, and doesnt get a good look. Either way the defense is at a huge disadvantage. I would much rather have a HC that is defensive-minded, he just needs a good OC
I want a head coach that is head-coach minded. When coaches get locked into their prior roles, they lose their ability to focus on the job of running the whole team. A DC can lose his cool about a questionable PI call along the sideline, but a head coach can't. A head coach can focus on time management and not blow a Timeout prior to kicking a field goal on 4th and 12.

Goodness, bless his heart.

@OUSOONER67, you need to put Riley's face on Simple Jack and post it here. I have a feeling it will be a masterpiece.

Worked on it a bit last night, early start today. Best I could do given Simple Jack pics on the net are not the best quality.

F-fH4wBWYAAHjjX

I’m sure Williams appreciates that while Grinch and his defense was giving up 40+ a game. Maybe the love has gone out of their relationship. But Riley is right on this one.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Former Oklahoma Sooners star defensive lineman Perrion Winfrey hasn’t been afraid of being vocal about his feelings toward the coaches that departed OU for USC last season. Former Sooners defensive coordinator Alex Grinch is, perhaps, at the top of Winfrey’s hit list.

Alex Grinch. These tweets went out on Saturday afternoon.

A defensive coordinator that knows what he talking about …. I love it here 🧘🏿‍♂️
— 🅿️errion Winfrey (@pdontplay) May 28, 2022

Idk which is worse the grinch that stole Christmas or the other one…
— 🅿️errion Winfrey (@pdontplay) May 28, 2022

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT