ADVERTISEMENT

Turn out the lights…

Texas has the same problem OU has, their secondary. Washington qb almost set a Sugar Bowl passing record, that record belongs to OU. Maybe the switch to the SEC will help the DB's play better. Ole Miss and Mizzu are the only teams that truly air it out, unfortunately they are both on OUr schedule next year. Think Michigan wins big, Washington had a hard time stopping the run and Michigan has one of the best run games out there.

Watching teams like Washington and Michigan play reveals to me how far OU is from being a championship caliber team.
Venables has made progress and a ten win season reflects this, but there’s so much more to be done. I think with the three solid recruiting classes will provide OU what it needs as Venables finally can coach HIS players.
Defense, again, needs to improve and that’s on the coaches.

Watching teams like Washington and Michigan play reveals to me how far OU is from being a championship caliber team.
Venables has made progress and a ten win season reflects this, but there’s so much more to be done. I think with the three solid recruiting classes will provide OU what it needs as Venables finally can coach HIS players.

An interesting stat. About 7% of the average 2019 NCAA recruiting classes left their schools early. That number grew to just over 21% for the 2023 classes. It’s only going to get worse. Scary when you think about it in those terms.

• Wow
Reactions: iasooner2000
In most cases, I think the most underrated factor in college football, and for that matter in every level, is real quality in the depth of the receiving core. If you don't have that, it can make a terrific quarterback look a lot less impressive. Drake Stoops was a terrific player. But he wasn't a great deep threat. By the same token, these guys who supposedly run under 4.4, but drop too many third down passes, make an offense look less effective. We seemed to have one guy who could consistently get open against a good defense.

We have recruited some high level receiver recruits, but our best was a former walk on. We need at least two guys who are STUDS. And a quality supporting cast. Of course nothing makes a receiving corps look more mediocre than an average quarterback. It takes both. '

I like Washington in the final because they are way better at quarterback and a lot better receiver. The one caveat, is that UDub likely lost their best running back late last night. How the game is called in the secondary will be a big deal. But last night, Penix threw so many perfect deep passes into tight windows. He was amazing. Mostly the coverage wasn't that bad. He and his receivers were just amazing.

Washington figured out at half, how to block the pass rush better, but it wasn't that much difference. The big difference was that Texas produced the first turnover in the first half, and gave it up twice in the second half. Washington was the better, more well-coached team. And though Penix had some narrow misses in the regular season, he was briliant when he neede to be most.

He made plays against a great rush, much of the time anyway.

Texas has the same problem OU has, their secondary. Washington qb almost set a Sugar Bowl passing record, that record belongs to OU. Maybe the switch to the SEC will help the DB's play better. Ole Miss and Mizzu are the only teams that truly air it out, unfortunately they are both on OUr schedule next year. Think Michigan wins big, Washington had a hard time stopping the run and Michigan has one of the best run games out there.
I don’t know that I’d put Mizzou in there. Their RB was # 1 in the nation in YPG, & probably would have led in rushing yards overall had he gotten the extra game that Gordon had the chance to play in. Oh, & fwiw (& I’ll admit this caught me by surprise too), the # 1 SEC team in passing YPG? That’d be none other than UGA. They’re not quite the same team that they were when we played them.

Total passing yards allowed (based on avg. per game), national ranking:
OU #109 (the position coaches continue to get accolades for recruiting...not results on the field)
UT #113 (I still say we should have taken more deep shots even though we won)
UW #120 (Ewers should have had a much better night; all those tipped balls was excellent scouting - slow wind-up and wooden in the pocket).

Truly a great way to start the New Year, a texas loss.
For all my horn buds I truly wished for their sake they could a pulled this one out. I did however point out that Michigan would make them look silly if given that opportunity. They thought this was their year. I'm outnumbered a hundred to one down here. I'm also a fisherman who knows how to set that hook with shit talk. Fast forward to '24!
🤣

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT