ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Notes...(UPDATE: 7:04p)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE: 7:04p - Euless (Texas) Trinity Rivals250 DT and former Oklahoma commit Chris Daniels confirmed that he will be deciding between the Sooners and Longhorns tomorrow on signing day via Twitter.

UPDATE: 3:13p -
Kind of backing up my last report, Oklahoma seems to be moving toward 2017 in cornerback recruiting. In fact Oklahoma just offered a new 2017 Rivals250 cornerback. This time Ambry Thomas of Detroit Martin Luther King.

UPDATE: 11:37a -
I've talked to a source who tells me that Oklahoma will go with the fate of Jared Mayden tomorrow and then move onto 2017. There was a back-up plan in place and I'll go over that in the post-NSD thread that we always do.

However I think that under Kerry Cooks the Sooners will be more than fine and should only find more talent in 2017 - particularly with Steven Parker and Jordan Thomas both potentially lining themselves up for All-American and perhaps early departure type of seasons.

UPDATE: 11:23a -
Honestly I was just going to let it be but now that our Baylor site has run with the story, here is what I alluded to a few minutes ago...

UPDATE: 11:20a -
I'm told that while Oklahoma has not been informed of the decision, Baylor has, read into that what you will.

UPDATE: 11:07a -
I've talked to a source who informs me that the reports of Parrish Cobb decommitting today are incorrect.

Now what has happened, I'm told is that he has informed Oklahoma he will be announcing his decision at 6 p.m. tonight and the general feeling is that it will be Baylor he chooses.

However as of yet that has not been finalized and he has not informed Oklahoma of a decommitment.

UPDATE: 10:28a -
I've just heard from Tulsa McLain running back Joshua Jacobs about his trips to Alabama and Missouri and he tells me both trips went very, very well. I initially thought, in our conversation that those would be the two schools he would choose from however he was quick to correct me that Oklahoma is also part of his decision, scheduled for 8 a.m. tomorrow morning at Tulsa McLain.

After multiple conversations, I very much get the impression that Jacobs has quietly told Oklahoma that he wants to get out of state, and I expect him to do just that. That being said, my information is a little dated so I'm checking to see if maybe there is a wild surprise that I'm not currently anticipating.

Anyway, that is the latest on what I have.

UPDATE: 8:30a - I can now confirm that Oklahoma has NOT offered Oneonta, Ala. linebacker Riley Cole though there is some interest.

I get the impression that there is some debate on just where Oklahoma sees Cole, some are reasonably interested while others don't see him as a fit. Regardless, I don't know that I see this coming together.

UPDATE: 7:52a -
Oklahoma spoke with Parrish Cobb last night, from what I told it wasn't just Kerry Cooks that was involved but really a good portion, perhaps even all, of the staff.

To my knowledge Cobb did not completely tip his hand about where he would be announcing but there is clearly some reason for optimism that he'll be sticking with the Sooners.

Most positive of all of this for Oklahoma is that his parents still seem to be on Oklahoma's side of things and should he choose Baylor there will be some disagreement. And the embodiment of his parents favoritism? There is a rumor swirling that his mother has already chosen a Oklahoma outfit for National Signing Day.

ORIGINAL:
Alright, you all are asking for these late at night...so I'll go ahead and fire a few things out as I continue working on more NSD (and post NSD) content.

***First, the news I'm hearing on Mykel Jones sounds like Oklahoma really did surprise him during the visit and I'm ready to say it's going to be Oklahoma for the Rivals100 wide receiver. I don't have a ton to tell you on the situation but my confidence has been growing steadily since Sunday afternoon.

***On the flip side, I don't love what I'm hearing on Chris Daniels he may well continue to announce that the Sooners are in play but I get the feeling that he is deciding between Texas and Texas A&M. Coming into the weekend it felt like a Red River rivalry battle but I think A&M really sold him on playing in the SEC - an idea he has always had a real ear for.

I still think it is Texas but I'm not certain by any stretch. I do think Oklahoma is on the outside looking in though.

***Another defender that I've been able to track down a little bit, and I emphasize 'little', of information on is four-star linebacker Maxs Tupai of Murray, Utah. I spoke some more with his head coach Mike Richmond about where things stood and he wasn't ready to commit to too much but did say he'd had a chance to talk to Tupai about his trip.

"He said he had a great visit. He was very impressed with the coaches, campus, and players," Richmond relayed.

That being said, Tupai still hasn't made a decision, or a decision on when he might announce his decision.

"He still hasn't made his decision and I'll have to let you know when he might announce," he said.

I still get the feeling that Utah is going to be the choice but if it was certain you'd think a quiet kid like himself would have gone home and been done with the choice.

But to embody all of the confusion I asked a source if Tupai had given any feel to anyone around him this weekend...

"None, none at all."

Talking to his high school coach and some who were around him this weekend, Tupai may need to be given the nickname of the Sphinx.

***Those two bits lead into my next bit of information as I was told that while Oklahoma has some numbers working and it seems that Oklahoma has spots set up for two of three from Daniels, Tupai, and Jared Mayden. Now again if I'm picking right now, I don't really expect Oklahoma to land ANY of those three but it's clear the Sooners haven't given up the race in any of these scenarios.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News