ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday Notes...(UPDATE: 11:31a)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE: 11:31a - Alright guys, I know most of you saw the tweet from Kip Lewis when he hosted Brent Venables this morning.

I hit up Lewis, just to see if this meant that he was all set with the Sooners.

"Yes sir, I'm locked in," Lewis said.

So I think that's put to bed.

Why this could be even bigger than just Lewis? He and Kobie McKinzie had been planning to room together and are close. This may be a big win for the Sooners on two fronts.

ORIGINAL: Alright so I've kind of been waiting all day for the wheels to start to play out on the news of an offer to Flower Mound, Texas Rivals250 quarterback Nick Evers.

I was told that the Sooners had been planning to be in-home with him this morning when they could make an offer happen and that the visit was possibly going to be led by not just Joe Jon Finley but also incoming offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby.

The timing was always going to be interesting as Lebby had to finalize his contract with the Sooners as well as file his NCAA paperwork to go into the Evers home on behalf of the Sooners. It's basically Lebby minding the details that tripped up Roy Manning a week ago. Lebby cleared those hurdles and funny enough may well have posted his 6:31p tweet of, basically, 'goodbye' to Ole Miss just before walking in the door.

Presumably he just couldn't wait any longer for the Sooners to go through whatever final machinations they required before announcing and he did it himself before he could begin the in-home with Evers that had been set up for him.

I'm told the visit went very well and that Evers 'loved the energy' of the meeting and has agreed to take an official visit to Oklahoma this weekend - the first known visitor of the Brent Venables era.

If you want a clear indication of just how well it went, the fact that the Sooners offered his fellow former Florida commitment, and good friend, Jayden Gibson almost the moment they left seems pretty telling.

And yes, I think the Sooners are now in real contention.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News