ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Some Day 1 Standouts

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Guys, sorry had most of this written up and then fell asleep last night - my fault entirely, but here we go...

A really impressive linebacker, thought he moved well and had the best frame of any linebacker I saw all day. Wouldn't shock me if an offer happens for him at some point in the future.

Not going to surprise any of you that this was one of my favorite campers of the day. He's a physical interior lineman that seems comfortable at both center and guard. He came into camp with an offer and man he moves so well laterally. I think he'll end up a Rivals250 guard before it's all done. I also think OU will be right in the thick of things throughout.

Funk is a guy I saw just a few weeks ago and saw him working more run game action than you do in a camp setting and that's his strong suit at this point. Don't get me wrong, he can work just fine as a pass blocker but he's such a big and powerful (and violent) kid that he clearly enjoys the run game.

A top end athlete at linebacker that has had interest in the Sooners for quite some time, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that he picked up an offer. I'm interested to see if he'll end up as a nickel/SAM type of guy as he's a bit undersized but moves well and is advanced for his age - due in no small part to being an Aledo guy.

Was talking to one buddy at camp yesterday and got into a conversation about this kid reminding me some of another former Houston area receiver who did pretty well in Norman. He is so long-armed and has just massive hands. Everything looks so simple and under control for him. I'd bet money that he'll have just about every option he could want before his recruitment is over as I'm going to guess he'll continue to grow to around 6-foot+.

Nickens plays both ways for OKC Millwood but worked just at receiver on Wednesday and is just a big and smooth natural athlete that I know caught the eye of the staff with his hands and easy ability downfield. He'll be a guy the Sooners continue to watch and an offer down the road is completely possible.

I couldn't agree more with @BPrzybylo, this guy was freaking outstanding on Wednesday. He looked great in bag drills and is so absurdly well put together for a guy entering his sophomore year of high school. If he isn't an eventual top 100 guy I'd be shocked. I haven't caught up with him yet but SoC has been an area the Sooners have usually gotten good response through the years and I'd guess that continues here.

One of the few 2023 top end guys to camp so far, Thomas is a guy that spent a lot of time talking to Miguel Chavis during the camp itself. Now, I don't think that means the Sooners are going to be looking at him as a defensive end so much as I think that's just kind of the reality of the situation, Chavis is going to be the 'hands on' guy at camp. That said, Thomas had some impressive moments and strong battles with Cruz. He's still refining secondary moves as he is so rarely, at the high school level, stopped with his quickness and power. If things fell through in a few places it wouldn't shock me at all if Thomas moved squarely onto Oklahoma's radar.

The morning was a short session due to rain, lots of movement in and out of facilities, etc. but he showed off great feet and was the type of cover corner who really trusts his eyes and attacks the ball. He's a guy who has worked hard to read receivers but has good instincts and, most importantly, trusts them.

Another guy that suffered a bit from the weather that hit Norman, Woodyard really is what you draw a safety to look like and impressed in the short time on the field. Expect Oklahoma to stay involved for as long as possible and that should be a while as the Sooners have hit some good early notes with Woodyard.

It wasn't a great day for backs but obviously Wormley stood out with his speed and even more so his balance, he can play a bit high at times but being so young that's got plenty of time to address itself. Expect Wormley to be back in Norman plenty in the coming years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News