ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Game Thread - OU vs. Houston = Game #1.

I read and watch TV. Again, we'll go on a winning streak, make it to a decent bowl, get blown out and some of you will be happy with that. Same story different year
Who said we'd be happy with it? Some of us are realistic to know that you can't win them all every year and to do so takes an extremely special team. We're not entitled to that. 17 years. 17 years! We're not Notre Dame, USC, Nebraska, Texas, Miami, Michigan, Florida etc and I am grateful and appreciative of that.

LOL. One year resume and throw out the Stoops. It's like choosing the "flavor of the month" at Braums Ice Cream store.

Herman could be Stoops 18 years ago. The best team won today, but not the better athletes. If you believe that as I do, then the difference is coaching. Just saying. 4623 asked the question, I just threw up a name. I've always contended that OU couldn't do better than Stoops because OU couldn't get Saban or Meyer to come to OU. But I bet Herman would. Maybe not. I just like how he has his team playing. He may lose next week (I don't even know who Houston is playing), but it may be because he goes against better athletes that are coached up.

Oh...another observer that would like the"'Ice Cream Flavor" of the month. I give up.......
Okay....speaking of "experts" around here, maybe you would like to rethink THIS thread...or I guess it was your "Ice Cream Flavor Thread" of the month at the time.....

https://oklahoma.forums.rivals.com/...-and-tosu-game-and-others.61755/#post-1156350

In case you don't wanna click...
Iv'e seen where thre is some worry about Houston. No way, these guy's are a little above Tulsa. tOSU should be no problem, I think they lost half their starters. TCU, Baylor and OSU have lost a ton of starters too. I think are biggest threat is Tech at Lubbock. Just my thoughts...................

The sad part is we have a few fans who are just fine with being pretty good. Perhaps our players have the same outlook but I hope not. I'm old enough now I no longer get too worked up over embarrassing losses, I just expect them

There will always be this type of game at least once every year.

Since 1950, OU has won a national title seven times in 66 years, once every nine years. That includes stints under Gomer, Blake, and Schnellenberger. It has now been sixteen years, almost twice the average since 1950. Did you see anything that looked anywhere close to a national title team?----defensive containment? offensive line blocking? discipline? (how many roughness or roughing penalties?)---coaching?

Tell me why you think it will get better.

Okay....speaking of "experts" around here, maybe you would like to rethink THIS thread...or I guess it was your "Ice Cream Flavor Thread" of the month at the time.....

https://oklahoma.forums.rivals.com/...-and-tosu-game-and-others.61755/#post-1156350

In case you don't wanna click...

So what. Maybe you should look at your post in this thread where you called out all the negative posts and said the game was still early. Just scroll above.......We were both wrong.

Billy ray some people talk out of their you know what and know very little about football. I've stepped away from the pay board, but I admit I miss the knowledgeable fans

So what. Maybe you should look at your post in this thread where you called out all the negative posts and said the game was still early. Just scroll above.......We were both wrong.
Ya the game was still early. But I never took the ridiculous step to EVER call Houston as being "a little above Tulsa". God almighty..talk about some of the worst message board drivel EVER!!!

Look in the mirror before you start trying to call out others for being "experts" or "Ice Cream Flavor" posters on here. You are making yourself look as ridiculous as OU did on the field today.

Reactions: Huntin Hard

Since 1950, OU has won a national title seven times in 66 years, once every nine years. That includes stints under Gomer, Blake, and Schnellenberger. It has now been sixteen years, almost twice the average since 1950. Did you see anything that looked anywhere close to a national title team?----defensive containment? offensive line blocking? discipline? (how many roughness or roughing penalties?)---coaching?

You are talking about a time where we had so many more scholarships and parity was unheard of. get used to it folks.

Ya the game was still early. But I never took the ridiculous step to EVER call Houston as being "a little above Tulsa". God almighty..talk about some of the worst message board drivel EVER!!!

Look in the mirror before you start trying to call out others for being "experts" or "Ice Cream Flavor" posters on here. You are making yourself look as ridiculous as OU did on the field today.

I agree. Very close to Obama's reference to ISIS being a JV team. Lol.

They haven't played Tulsa yet. Ice cream posters are the ones calling for the flavor of the month head coaches. We can still win the rest of the way. I'll hang my hat that it will happen. Meanwhile, you guy's dis-enjoy the season, as always.

I agree. Very close to Obama's reference to ISIS being a JV team. Lol.
Well played Oklabama!!!! :D:D

lmao2.gif

Every 9 years is an average. There were a couple of times when we had such special teams that we won it in consecutive years. How often does that happen? 13 different schools have won national titles over the past 20 years. Only 5 have won two or more. So I'm not sure why we are entitled to win one every 9 years.

You are talking about a time where we had so many more scholarships and parity was unheard of. get used to it folks.
I don't buy that excuse at all, and I am tired of hearing it. First, Switzer won with 95. Every team had 95. Stoops has 85. Every team has 85. It isn't that much of a reduction (I know that Switzer began with 105).

Parity? Since Bob won a title, almost half of the titles won in that fifteen year period were won by two coaches: Urban Meyer and Sabin. Each has titles with two different schools in that time frame. They won, rebuilt somewhere else, and won again. That doesn't sound like parity to me. In the fifties, there weren't only two schools winning half of the titles, nor in the seventies and eighties.

But, this team does not play like a title contender.

They haven't played Tulsa yet. Ice cream posters are the ones calling for the flavor of the month head coaches. We can still win the rest of the way. I'll hang my hat that it will happen. Meanwhile, you guy's dis-enjoy the season, as always.
Where did I call for a "flavor of the month" head coach?? The guy earlier in the thread asked posters to name names, and I agreed with what Oklabama posted. For some reason, some think the head coaching talent pool in this country is non-existent after Bob Stoops. I've NEVER called for Bob to be fired, but it's literally incompetent to think there will cease to be up and coming coaches in this game/sport.
And I'll enjoy the rest of the season. I never discounted Houston. I expected OU to win, but I never disrespected Houston for who they are and what they are capable of. Can't say the same for you though bro.

I don't buy that excuse at all, and I am tired of hearing it. First, Switzer won with 95. Every team had 95. Stoops has 85. Every team has 85. It isn't that much of a reduction (I know that Switzer began with 105).

Parity? Since Bob won a title, almost half of the titles won in that fifteen year period were won by two coaches: Urban Meyer and Sabin. Each has titles with two different schools in that time frame. They won, rebuilt somewhere else, and won again. That doesn't sound like parity to me. In the fifties, there weren't only two schools winning half of the titles, nor in the seventies and eigthies.

But, this team does not play like a title contender.

You forgot about Miami and BYU. They won after the scholly reduction.

Parity? Since Bob won a title, almost half of the titles won in that fifteen year period were won by two coaches: Urban Meyer and Sabin. Each has titles with two different schools in that time frame. They won, rebuilt somewhere else, and won again. That doesn't sound like parity to me. In the fifties, there weren't only two schools winning half of the titles, nor in the seventies and eighties.
This right here is spot on!!! Bob Stoops is a great coach. But this reasoning above is what puts coaches like Saban and Meyer FAR above Stoops in regards of which head coaches are better. Those guys have won titles at 2 programs. Bob is still seeking #2 after winning one 16 years ago.

Houston, and maybe at least 10-15 other teams, are better than OU this year.
If Mayfield goes down, then any bowl berth will be very hard to achieve.

Reactions: BillyRay
You forgot about Miami and BYU. They won after the scholly reduction.
Miami won because they built a powerhouse. BYU won because everyone else lost two games, including us. If even one team had lost only one game, BYU would still be an afterthought.

Houston, and maybe at least 10-15 other teams, are better than OU this year.
If Mayfield goes down, then any bowl berth will be very hard to achieve.
That may very well be the case, but it seems a bit premature after one game. The only thing we really know is that Houston is better than OU right now.

Recruiting and developing players. OU does not do either very well anymore. Imagine last year without Baker and this year if he goes down. Oh my. Oh well, I guess I am getting too old to care anymore or I am just getting used to it. Either way I don't like it but what are ya gonna do? All I know is I will enjoy football today a lot less after watching OU lay an egg again.:(

Last edited:
The Oline looked pretty weak
We only called 13 running plays
The run plays called are predictable 50% of the time
Special teams let us down, I put that solely on the Coaches shoulders
Bad tackling on the defense
Busted assignments on the defense, where was the over the top help?
Mayfield locked on way to often, Mixon was open almost all of the 2nd half. Or he jumped off option 1 to scramble.
Progression countdown in the pocket didn't exists.
Horrible play calling on the defense on 3rd downs, no pressure on the QB.
The Oline has to learn how to run block.
Mayfield has to learn this offense quickly, I don't think he can. He's had 3 years and still, jumps back to a HS QB that won't let the play develop. I know that's his strength but it's not the Offenses strength.
I don't know if he doesn't trust the system, the Oline or the WR??
Mixon and Perine have the most talent of anyone on the team but 6 carries each??Riley you should be better then that.
Discipline, Discipline, Discipline. The most undisciplined player on the team is Mayfield. I know I'm going to get blasted but watch what could have happened, if he would run the plays called.
Snap, one, two, pass
Snap one, two, take two sidesteps throw. He turns his back to the line at least 10% of the plays.

If OU can't run the football they ain't going to win many. I'm not upset OU is not entitled to anything. As someone posted earlier. That's for Texas type fans. A national championship every 9 years would be nice but the odds aren't good with parity now. Today we got beat by a good team. They impressed me both the coaches and players. As far as them joining the big 12 and recruiting worries. Herman's already has a foothold on that. Power to them.

The Oline looked pretty weak
We only called 13 running plays
The run plays called are predictable 50% of the time
Special teams let us down, I put that solely on the Coaches shoulders
Bad tackling on the defense
Busted assignments on the defense, where was the over the top help?
Mayfield locked on way to often, Mixon was open almost all of the 2nd half. Or he jumped off option 1 to scramble.
Progression countdown in the pocket didn't exists.
Horrible play calling on the defense on 3rd downs, no pressure on the QB.
The Oline has to learn how to run block.
Mayfield has to learn this offense quickly, I don't think he can. He's had 3 years and still, jumps back to a HS QB that won't let the play develop. I know that's his strength but it's not the Offenses strength.
I don't know if he doesn't trust the system, the Oline or the WR??
Mixon and Perine have the most talent of anyone on the team but 6 carries each??Riley you should be better then that.
Discipline, Discipline, Discipline. The most undisciplined player on the team is Mayfield. I know I'm going to get blasted but watch what could have happened, if he would run the plays called.
Snap, one, two, pass
Snap one, two, take two sidesteps throw. He turns his back to the line at least 10% of the plays.

That about says it all. Pretty good observation. A total team failure for the most part and coaches ARE part of a team, IMO. Poor outing but still plenty of time to correct which needs to begin tomorrow. It's going to make the Ohio State game even more interesting. I hate Ohio State just behind Notre Dame and USC. I hope the squad comes together soon.

Reactions: BillyRay
2001 Miami Coker
2002 Ohio State Tressel
2003 LSU NICK SABAN
2004 USC Carroll
2005 Texas Brown
2006 Florida URBAN MEYER
2007 LSU Miles
2008 Florida URBAN MEYER
2009 Alabama NICK SABAN
2010 Auburn Chizik
2011 Alabama NICK SABA
2012 Alabama NICK SABAN
2013 Florida State Fisher
2014 OHIO STATE URBAN MEYER
2015 Alabama NICK SABAN

Parity? Really?
NICK SABAN: 4 titles, two schools
URBAN MEYER: 3 titles, two schools
Ohio State: 2 titles, two different coaches
LSU: two titles, two different coaches
9 of 15 (60%) of all titles have been by two coaches or the other two schools that they were involved with.

Parity? Nonsense.

Reactions: veritas59
2001 Miami Coker
2002 Ohio State Tressel
2003 LSU NICK SABAN
2004 USC Carroll
2005 Texas Brown
2006 Florida URBAN MEYER
2007 LSU Miles
2008 Florida URBAN MEYER
2009 Alabama NICK SABAN
2010 Auburn Chizik
2011 Alabama NICK SABA
2012 Alabama NICK SABAN
2013 Florida State Fisher

2014 OHIO STATE URBAN MEYER
2015 Alabama NICK SABAN

Parity? Really?
NICK SABAN: 4 titles, two schools
URBAN MEYER: 3 titles, two schools
Ohio State: 2 titles, two different coaches
LSU: two titles, two different coaches
9 of 15 (60%) of all titles have been by two coaches or the other two schools that they were involved with.

Parity? Nonsense.

Why did you leave out 2000?

Yes parity.. ask Baylor, Tcu, OSU, KSU and many, many more teams that have upped their game since parity set in. Hell, even Duke is playing better.........

I'm thinking because his entire point is national championships SINCE Bob won his 16 years ago....

That's fine, my point was we have parity. Many more teams are playing better than the Bud and Barry years. I'll give it up that Saban and Meyers are great coaches and recruiters. They cheat though.........HA!

I think Syb might be a women? Correct me If I'm wrong. Doesn't make a difference...Great poster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT