ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL GAME THREAD - GAME #7 - OU VS. TCU

Anyone else noticed that we seem to be playing a lot better with the play clock off. It does seem like we worry about that a little too much sometimes. One less thing to worry about and they seem to be playing with better flow.

Has Jalen Redmond or Ronnie Perkins done anything today? Haven’t heard either of their names called at all today.

Reactions: iasooner1
Well just checked in. Looks like D made some nice adjustments 2nd half from what Im seeing by the score. Looking forward to getting home to watch it.

Offense B+
Defense C
Special Teams D

Defense stepped up once they closed in on us by 4. Special Teams wtf happened today? Piss poor coaching there it looked like. Hope Sermon’s ankle is ok.

Reactions: iasooner1
We outscored them 24-3 in the 2nd half and are "still in the playoff discussion". I'll take that every week
Yes sir...I will take a 52 point output. I will be happy if the defense shows improvement every week from here on out. Not going to fix that train wreck overnight.

Reactions: CTOkie
Overall, a really good game for the Sooners. The defense played with a lot more effort. The offense did a good job and scored 52. Don’t want to sound like the guy from the Dallas area but too many complaints from the peanut gallery after a good win. Come on, guys.

Agree.

I don't know whether our defense stopped TCU in the second half, or Collins' injury stopped TCU. He was moving the ball until he was injured. Then, he missed about eight in a row.

I was happy with our rushing. Our passing seemed different. We weren't hitting the bombs today.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Siebert kicked touch backs on all but one other kickoff as I recall and kicked an important FG that gave OU a 31-24 lead.
I give end zone celebrations an F.
The Choreographed Celebrations were happening in End Zones and on Side Lines all across the nation...We just happened to be in one in Texas, staffed with Texas Referees, and our Reward was a Yellow Flag...

The Choreographed Celebrations were happening in End Zones and on Side Lines all across the nation...We just happened to be in one in Texas, staffed with Texas Referees, and our Reward was a Yellow Flag...
Perhaps.
But here's an idea: have the coaches mandate to the players to save excessive.....not all, just excessive (or potentially excessive)....end zone celebrations for the sidelines. The rules governing celebrations can be "chippy" at times, as we saw yesterday, but why risk giving an opponent an opportunity to capitalize on a needless penalty ? TCU's kickoff return for a score was a direct result from the celebration by Lamb and Brown and it allowed TCU to get back into the game at that time. Siebert had to kickoff from the 20 yard line and had no chance of reaching the opposite end zone.
That, along with ordering the players to hold on to the ball AFTER they cross the goal line and are well into the end zone, might also be a good idea.

Perhaps.
But here's an idea: have the coaches mandate to the players to save excessive.....not all, just excessive (or potentially excessive)....end zone celebrations for the sidelines. The rules governing celebrations can be "chippy" at times, as we saw yesterday, but why risk giving an opponent an opportunity to capitalize on a needless penalty ? TCU's kickoff return for a score was a direct result from the celebration by Lamb and Brown and it allowed TCU to get back into the game at that time. Siebert had to kickoff from the 20 yard line and had no chance of reaching the opposite end zone.
That, along with ordering the players to hold on to the ball AFTER they cross the goal line and are well into the end zone, might also be a good idea.
I agree with all of the above, CT...My point is that they've previously been doing what they did, yesterday, and not been called out, or penalized, for it, so they were of the opinion that it was acceptable. Now, at a Hefty Price, they have learned otherwise, and no doubt, WILL COMPLY! So Long to the Dragon-Ball- Z! ;)

https://newsok.com/article/5612379/ou-football-sooners-flagged-for-dragon-ball-z-celebration

Had we been able to execute the two pick 6's, this game would not have been remotely close.
Defense was better but that TCU offense was nothing to write home about. Still, I'm encouraged that we tackled better.

Exactly.

I agree with all of the above, CT...My point is that they've previously been doing what they did, yesterday, and not been called out, or penalized, for it, so they were of the opinion that it was acceptable. Now, at a Hefty Price, they have learned otherwise, and no doubt, WILL COMPLY! So Long to the Dragon-Ball- Z! ;)

https://newsok.com/article/5612379/ou-football-sooners-flagged-for-dragon-ball-z-celebration
Supposedly, in a well-officiated game, you don't notice the officiating. While it is possible that each of the infractions could have been called a penalty, it is also quite possible that most of them could have been ignored, or possibly only consisting of a warning. But, the calls were too blatant and too frequent, as well as rather one-sided.

Then, there is the flag for a non-football move. Is that actually in the rule book? With all of the fakes, stunts, and fake blitzes that precede the typical snap, they get a guy for raising his arms Defensive players are not required to be set. They can do backflips without violating rules. I find that one a bit more than absurd.

Fact: the officiating was not something that could be ignored. They might as well have been out there with a cutting horse and cowboy boots. It wouldn't have been any more obvious.

Supposedly, in a well-officiated game, you don't notice the officiating. While it is possible that each of the infractions could have been called a penalty, it is also quite possible that most of them could have been ignored, or possibly only consisting of a warning. But, the calls were too blatant and too frequent, as well as rather one-sided.

Then, there is the flag for a non-football move. Is that actually in the rule book? With all of the fakes, stunts, and fake blitzes that precede the typical snap, they get a guy for raising his arms Defensive players are not required to be set. They can do backflips without violating rules. I find that one a bit more than absurd.

Fact: the officiating was not something that could be ignored. They might as well have been out there with a cutting horse and cowboy boots. It wouldn't have been any more obvious.
Why chance having a poorly officiated game with hair-triggered referees ?
Score a damn touchdown, make a big play.....and act like you've done it before.
It should not be complicated.

Reactions: sooners49

That’s not the point it’s supposed to be fun. This is one reason why I don’t like the nfl as much as college. They’ve been doing this all year. I wouldn’t care as much had that TCU defender not LITERALLY STAND over Tease( I think it was him) and did the incompletion cross right in front of the ref and it wasn’t called. It should’ve been. It would’ve been called by ANY other refs but the refs weren’t good period. Blatant flag given all the flags they threw.

Sez EZ...Duz Hard...These Guys are KIDS, CT...Their Exuberance is Refreshing! Their Adrenalin is in OVER-Drive! :rolleyes:;)

It won’t be as big as you’re putting it. I hope he’s not hurt but we can play without him a few weeks. We will still have 4 capable backs.
Anderson is out. Sermon could be out. That leaves Brooks, Sutton and Pledger. That's three and one has yet to prove himself.

I say let'em have fun and have a team good enough that can overcome pettiness from the yellow flag gods that penalize the players for this type of behavior. .

I say let'em have fun and have a team good enough that can overcome pettiness from the yellow flag gods that penalize the players for this type of behavior. .
Legislating any degree of sportsmanship is hard and controversial to do these days.
In the pros, it can't or won't be done.
In college, it sometimes can be done.
But when a trigger-happy zebra or a player with an "it's all about me" celebration causes a flag to be thrown, especially in a situation where the outcome could go either way, it's a major problem.
High 5'ing, chest bumping, fist pumping shouldn't be a foul and I know the players work hard to play on Saturdays, so they are entitled to show some emotion following a big play. But if "choreographing" a celebration is illegal, why do it ? And if it keeps repeating itself, then it lies at the feet of stupidity by players and coaches.
Personally, I prefer college football over NFL football, and the out of control antics in the NFL are just another reason why Sundays are my day of rest.

I think its a generational thing with celebrations.I remember Tom Landry did not like them and got on Drew Pearson about it, later in the year he jacked up his knee,how did it happen? A celebration jump.I am more of a Barry Sanders guy: hand the ball to the ref and go to the sideline.The NFL is so lame with the stuff, it makes them look like little kids.

Reactions: kcstorm06
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT