ADVERTISEMENT

The Doctor’s Office, Week 1

DrAzSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
This thread is self-serving. Catharsis is needed. At the same time, the best part of a message board is reading others thoughts an opinions. I think even casual fans could see there was a lot wrong with this performance. To keep with a theme, some of these illnesses are curable, some not so much. I’d like to take a clinical approach to each major ailment after a thorough review of the stats (including PFF), rewatching the game, and listening to the always enjoyable post game pod by @Carey Murdock and @Eddie_Rado

Offense:

1. Spencer Rattler - Everything this team wants to accomplish begins and ends with Rattler. I’m not the guy to blame NIL as a distraction. Not going there. Although I will say something small - the custom thigh pads are a bad look, and the self-promotion makes you an easier target for harsh criticism. Some guys can handle that, some can’t. I’m terms of on the field play, work on timing with your receivers, work on stepping up in the pocket and not drifting, focus on your fundamentals (footwork and release were often lackadaisical), and all of a sudden instead of 30/39 with 2 INTs, you’re 34-35/39, 0 INTs, and maybe another TD or 2. Prognosis: CURABLE

2. OL - I’ve never been one to completely tag on Swenson. Many may not know that dude has played through many significant injuries that would cause lesser men be sidelined. That being said, when he is your highest graded Olinemen, you are fielding a championship caliber OL. Bill Bedenbaugh has deserved the praise he’s received in the past, and he also deserves some small criticism here. Between narrowly missing out on elite talent on the recruiting trail (Foster, Leigh, etc) and underwhelming development of the guys on campus the OU OL is not currently at the standard. No doubt they will continue to improve this season, but unfortunately I think mediocre is the ceiling. Mediocrity is a disease I don’t see OU overcoming this season.
Prognosis: INCURABLE

3. Ground attack - Kennedy Brooks. That’s the cure. When he needs a break Lincoln can’t be afraid to utilize Knowles, Hudson, Gray, Hall, Caleb Williams if necessary. Obviously, improved OL play with a consistent starting 5 will help this phase of the offense gel more. Just gotta do it.
Prognosis: CURABLE

4. Playing Calling - Even Lincoln Riley seems to be acknowledging there’s a problem. Whatever you want to label it as, Lincoln Riley’s most recent versions of his offense lack the ability to finish. Whether it’s about protecting a young QB or managing a thin RB room, it doesn’t matter any more. It’s been demonstrated over and over that being a passive play caller kills this team, and a team often takes on the personality of its coach. Lincoln needs to get mean, nasty, and his goal should be nothing short of embarrassing every opponent he plays. I’m still a believer in this young coach to evolve for the better.

Defense:

1. DL - This is the unit that I’m least worried about. They were disruptive much of the day, especially when their best unit was allow enough consecutive snaps to settle in to the game (more on that later). I think the play on the field coupled with PFF grades demonstrate there is genuinely a two deep that deserves snaps. The criticism is consistency. Gotta bring it every play. Watching the UGA DL absolutely dismantle Clemson was eye opening. I no longer think OU’s DL is elite. Are they very good? Yes. And they can get better. Reps and better substituting will help.

2. Safeties - DTY and Fields have long ago lost the benefit of the doubt. They’re multi year starters still blowing assignments and whiffing on tackles. There’s better athleticism behind them, but the fact that no one can supplant them as a starter is damning. Consistent, quality DL and LB play will help protect this weakness but there’s no treating the root cause this season. Speaking of the LBs…
Prognosis: INCURABLE

3. LBs - When a true freshman in his first start (Stutsman) out-performs you (White), there’s a problem. White has earned a permanent spot on the bench. David U was adequate. Asamoah has the athleticism but was the victim of missing his assignment once or twice. Get your personnel set, get reps, get back to fundamentals. This can still be an effective group.

4. Defensive Rotation - I get it, quality depth and frequent rotation is Alex Grinch’s thing. The theory is it rewards players practicing well and keeps everyone fresh to give maximum effort every play. Counterpoint: there’s something to be said for allowing your 1s to develop a rhythm and feel for the game and letting them eat. Even Alex Grinch has to recognize this and I’m confident that behind closed doors this will be discussed and sorted out.

Summary:

With a day of reflection, it’s not all doom and gloom. Much of what ails OU is curable. Even if those ailments have been completely and effectively treated, will it be enough to climb the mountain top? Preseason I thought OU had a legitimate chance to win it all. I think this is still a good team, plenty capable of winning the big XII and making the CFP but their incurable illnesses prevent them from conquering the Alabama’s of the world. That being said…doctors aren’t always right, and I always encourage a second opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News