ADVERTISEMENT

The College Football Playing field

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
In watching the CFB daily show today on all of our favorite channel (ESPN) it is becoming pretty apparent that the coaches from the other power 5 conferences are attempting to force the B12's hand. Almost all of those coaches who have been interviewed lately and asked the question " Do you think the B12 needs to have a CG? " replay with "I think we all need to be on the same page and everyone have a CG"

I am of the mind that in reality the B12 does need to stage a CG but I don't think it needs to expand to do it. I do believe that had TCU and Baylor staged a CG last season for that 13th game it would have been much harder for the Committee to drop TCU the way they did if they had won that game in favor of TOSU. However I still think due to the name of TOSU and Urban Meyer it may not have changed at all even if they had staged that B12CG.

The basic question I am asking here is how do others feel and did the Big 12 screw up by not petitioning the NCAA for a CG this season? Will not having one cost one of our conference teams once again due to the perception and views being taken by other coaches across the country in regard to the B12?

I don't think the B12 has an issue with playing a Championship game. The issue is, you have to have 12 teams in order to have a game, according to the NCAA.
If you think about it, that is a bit of a silly rule. I look for the NCAA to drop that requirement and the B12 to start staging a Championship game, regardless how many teams they have.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I don't think the B12 has an issue with playing a Championship game. The issue is, you have to have 12 teams in order to have a game, according to the NCAA.
If you think about it, that is a bit of a silly rule. I look for the NCAA to drop that requirement and the B12 to start staging a Championship game, regardless how many teams they have.
^^This...that is the current rule is you have to have 12 teams to have a playoff. That is about as silly as it gets. We could have a championship with the top two teams playing each other with whatever stipulations you need...head to head...points..etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a feeling that if the Big 12 Champion gets left out this go round we are going to see some quick movement by the Conference to expand quickly or go get that approval to hold a CG with just the 10 teams.

Only time will tell but it may take an undefeated team from the conference to get in as I am pretty sure a 1 loss champion will never get in if the other P5 conference champs also only have 1 loss. The lack of a CG is likely to haunt the B12 conference once again in that scenario.

Why all of a sudden do we have to have 12 teams and a playoff to get into the MNC? (No need to answer, I know the reason - big money, TV ratings, BCS rankings, etc!!!).

For years, while the Big 12, SEC and ACC had their championship games, the B1G and the Pac-10 played a round robin schedule and did not have a championship game, but they were never left out of the conversation. Now, all of a sudden, because the roles are reversed, the Big 12 is some kind of red-headed step child because we no longer have a championship game?

I find all this talk a lot of b.s. I would like to see the Big 12 get back to 12 teams and a championship, but the prospects of adding two "quality" schools are very slim.

Sportscasters on XM 91 College Football are pretty much in agreement that the Big XII is in a perilous situation primarily due to losing Nebraska and Texas A&M. They also sited David Borens recent comments about CCs as an example of uneasiness within the conference.

Hope their wrong but not having quality options to get back to 12 teams could be our waterloo. Hope the demise of the big xii does not happen in my lifetime.

I really expected the NCAA to rescind the "12 team" rule this year and the B12 to add this game.
It is too late to do it now.
I do think when it is implemented, there may need to be a regular season adjustment to schedules. So it may be that they are waiting for everyone's schedules to work out or maybe even waiting for the TV contracts to adjust.
I think it will happen in the next year or two.

Why all of a sudden do we have to have 12 teams and a playoff to get into the MNC? (No need to answer, I know the reason - big money, TV ratings, BCS rankings, etc!!!).

For years, while the Big 12, SEC and ACC had their championship games, the B1G and the Pac-10 played a round robin schedule and did not have a championship game, but they were never left out of the conversation. Now, all of a sudden, because the roles are reversed, the Big 12 is some kind of red-headed step child because we no longer have a championship game?

I find all this talk a lot of b.s. I would like to see the Big 12 get back to 12 teams and a championship, but the prospects of adding two "quality" schools are very slim.

It is all BS. The real truth is that everyone in some kind of leadership in college football are the biggest hypocrites in the college football landscape. Event he media is a full of it. Lets just review some of this from the past.

2006- When there was a lot of talk about the possibility of a Michigan- Ohio State rematch the media went to town and said that the loser of that game would not be a conference champion and shouldn't get a rematch. The SEC went on a campaign march stating the same thing because Florida just might have got left out. It was all about Conference championships and lets not forget the SEC made special note that they also played a CCG and the Big 10 did not.

2008- Another example of the hypocrisy that is college football. Texas clearly had a better loss than Florida but once again the SEC went on a campaign saying that a non conference champ should not play in the NC. In fact they along with the B10 and P12 clearly did not want any non conference champion to play in it but just 2 years ago in the above example the Big 10 had a totally different view because they felt it should have happened. Lets not forget the fans also took these views.

2007- Oh we all know how this played out. LSU loses to two lesser teams while a 1 loss Georgia team sits at number 5 I believe and gets passed up by LSU at season end due to all the upsets. Of course again it was about having to be a conference champion so even KU never got considered since they only had 1 loss. The cries could be heard all over the landscape by once again many SEC fans and their coaches.

2013- Yes this once again involves the SEC (even though this happens in other conferences also ) all of a sudden after years of complaining that you should have to be a CC those views changed by that conference and their fans and lets not forger the media giant ESPN took a 100 degree turn on their views that just a few short years ago they were preaching "It should be CC only". Of course the biggest hypocrite in the world of CF Urban Meyer while he was working for ESPN all of a sudden change his CC only view to "it should be about the 2 best teams and not about CC". Why? Because it was all about what he wanted at the time. Remember all the talk about "who loss to who"? Well he sure didn't want to talk about that just this last year and the first year of the CFP. All of a sudden it switched back to "Conference championship Games".

Until someone steps in and says "Hey we can't be changing our criteria every year" then college football will continue to make people mad. Put a system in -stick with it and quit changing their minds every year based on how it helps them.

And yes it is funny to hear P12 and B10 fans piss and moan about the B12 not having a CCG when for years they didn't and said "You shouldn't have to have one" Now that the tables have turned everyone of those conferences are doing their best to crap on the B12. Even Pinkel has become the biggest A-hole with his latest statements. Hell he couldn't even win a B12 title and he continues to crap on the B12 by saying they should never get in the playoffs until they have a CCG. He has become a full fledged SEC coach that's for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT