ADVERTISEMENT

Ten Thgts...

dmackey13

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2008
Gotta start with Coach again. The past few weeks...We've had a ton of folk complaining about schemes and the oline, the backers, specific players (me included on a few) but more than ANYTHING today taught me something I experienced while at OU...Co V will put people in position to be successful. I was PISSED the first defensive possession. We lined up in a 30 front and I didn't know why. There's two really good reasons why:

1. We have a ton of tweeners on the dline. The more guys who can confuse the offense pre snap the better. Guys like 2, 23, 20 etc are going to be much more dangerous playing forward and with a specific job to do. I think it's genius. All the sudden 23 looks like a player. 20 now has a position to play. 2 can kill a gap OR jump into his respective hole and then chase the football. Absolutely BRILLIANT.

2. Ready for this one. That front is going to give Kstate FITS. Their offense is predicated on identifying the contain defender. Guys go back and re-watch the tape. There are plays ALL three dlinemen are on the same side of the center. 6 different Sooners were contain defenders. Imagine KState having to scheme a 30 and 40 front. Gonna be hell to prep for us and then a fun to see how we come out. I'm betting a 30 is our base defense.

Okay..

1. DG left points on the scoreboard. He looked a lil ginger after the TD to 10. He made big plays but I guess he doesn't want Heisman consideration. Today was a day to pad his stats.

2. Rbs looked good. 0's jump cut was working well today. He looked good. As did 24. They split reps and both made it happen.

3. Oline anyone? 👀 when we scheme we can still block. I count 7 plays where we got a hat on a hat and clear defined holes were available. Btw...72 played well.

4. Wrs were great. Made the important catches and game breaking plays.

5. TEs...go watch the film. Masterful blocking by 9 and 22 and also...who knew 9 could throw.

6. Dline - initially I was upset about the 30 but those boys wreaked havoc. Go watch 31s sac. The Nebraska oline was so she'll shocked...we rushed 3 and he got home. Literally seeing 👻

7. Backers - 2 had his best game of the season. Not much thinking...simply blitz or get to your spot and then sink if pass or chase if run. Love it. 28 was solid and 23 was playing well. I think he also can just be an athlete when he can come...or get to his spot and chase the football. GENIUS. That said 7 has the highest ceiling, but man he's the defensive mvp if he can just make the tackle. 2 additional sacks and a huge tfl if he makes a tackle...it'll come.

8. Cbs - the 1s played well. Guys a few plays the cb was the contain defender. I loved it.

9. Safeties - 17 got beat waiting once but good to see him in with the 1s. Otherwise they tackled well. Also you gotta give em credit if qbs don't have immediate windows to throw.

10. Lets end with a question: Can 11 throw? "Free Beville" let the que throw the ball. 😅

Honest question: how fun was it to agonize over the pups for 24mins while up 40pts 🫠

Post your take aways below 👇🏾

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News