ADVERTISEMENT

Tale of the Tape and how Oklahoma won over Trystan Haynes

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** I’ll start with the obvious in that Sooners new commitment in Trystan Haynes was big for a variety of reasons.

First things first, a source told me over the last few days, “(OU) doesn’t want to see any other in-state offers leave the state after the Nate Roberts ordeal.”

That in itself made the Haynes’ situation vital for the Sooners and Jay Valai to close out and get the Carl Albert stars commitment.

This wasn’t easy, though. The likes of Georgia, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and a few others really pushed for Haynes’ services. Of those programs, it was Notre Dame that seemed to have the most push for Haynes. However, sources I spoke with said those picks for the Irish were “premature,” to say the least.

So the question now becomes why the picks for the Irish?

Well, Haynes has a close family friend that works in the football and athletic dept at ND. That close family friend was former Northeast ATH George West. But even with the connection, the visits to ND just “didn’t feel like a fit for Trystan,” a source told OUinsider.

Right after Haynes’ visit to ND, I went to CA to speak with the four-star Sooners commit, and asked if he was close to a decision. Haynes said it was “coming soon.” The next question seemed obvious at that point and it was “Would you take other visits if you commit soon?”

Haynes said, “No. I would go to where I was committed only.”

Felt like it was apparent where things stood at that point, but even with Miami and others coming to CA to see the Rivals250 DB, there was a loyalty to OU that Haynes telling the staff that no official would happen and that he was set as soon as the Sooners’ spring game took place and he formally committed.

All along it seemed like Coach Valai and the Sooners would be hard to beat, but like I said, it wasn’t without some theatrics. Haynes did a good job not tipping his hand throughout the process, but once the numbers became tight at OU — at the CB spot — Haynes made the choice he knew he was going to make the whole time.

*** Thoughts on Haynes’ skills set ***

Haynes fits like a glove. Not the OJ Isotoner type, but perfectly fitting into what OU likes to do defensively with their DB’s.

Haynes is long, with the four-star pushing close to 6-2. He’s also super versatile, playing WR, punt return and kick return as well. With his speed it’s an easy decision to play him on both sides of the ball for Carl Albert. I honestly won’t be shocked to see OU giving Haynes a look or two as a returner as well.

Also, Haynes ability to stretch the field was used a lot with Sooners’ QB commit Kevin Sperry throwing him passes last season. He’s also got a knack for space and the ability make the defender miss. You see that a lot because outside of the Titans throwing him the deep ball, they also like to get him space with tunnel and bubble screens. That more than anything shows his speed.

Ironically, even with how well he makes people miss in space, his hips are a bit tight at times in coverage but not to the point you feel it limits him too much. As a matter of fact, that part of his game is being worked on with renowned DB trainer Dwight Dobbins, who is now also the CB coach at Westmoore.

And with Haynes’ frame, it’s a matter of time before he fills it out and pushes 195lbs. And with how OU asks their corners to fill run lanes on the outside, that added weight to his frame will be needed. Though he already good in run support for CA in HS.

The other part that needs a bit of work is getting caught with eyes in the backfield at times. Haynes likes to make the big play, so naturally that comes with a bit of baiting and watching the QB instead of his man in coverage. Sometimes that gives up a play or two that shouldn’t happen, but overall Haynes is fairly technically sound in coverage and the few things that need corrected are things that are easily addressed and fixed.

All in all, the Sooners added another DB that can play multiple positions and that has the upside to be a multi-year starter once his body and skill set are developed a bit more. But Haynes is yet another four-star at Jay Valai’s disposal at corner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News