ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Notes...(UPDATE: 5:04p)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
ORIGINAL: Alright, let's get this thing going...

*A guy that thought he was going to have to cut his visit to Saturday's 'Future Freaks' a bit short is Washington, Okla. star Nate Roberts.

"(The visit) was really good, our baseball game was pushed back, so I got to spend most of the day there," Roberts said. "(My family and I) met with Coach (Brent) Venables first thing and sat in on team Meeting, then tight end meeting with Coach (Joe Jon) Finley. I was on the field for practice, and wrapped up with with lunch. Practice was great, really competitive, they had great energy."

Roberts is still taking his time and isn't in any rush with a massive, and ever-growing offer list, but I continue to really like where the Sooners are with Roberts as he and Finely continue to build a relationship.

**Another in-state prospect that seems to have caught the attention of the Sooners is Muskogee, Okla. 2024 wide reicever Kayden McGee who was initially spotted by safeties coach Brandon Hall as he made his way around the state.

"Coach B Hall sent (Emmett Jones) my film and they watched and they said they gotta get me back up there," he said. "I should he hearing from him in a couple days.

"When I first got there, coach Jones asked me where I’m from at first I said Muskogee and he said “ohhh big play” (McGee's nickname)."

In fact McGee has some hopes of getting some news from the Sooners in the next 48 hours.

"It was great, Coach Jones should giving me a call in a couple days."

***He isn't the only Oklahoman with some hopes that Monday could be a bid ay in his recruitment. The next is Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe offensive lineman Josh Aisosa.

"I don’t really know yet. Coach (Bill) B(edenbaugh) said we’ll talk on Monday."

Aisosa is a talented offensive lineman who feels like a guy that should the Sooners offer it might be a bit down the road but there's no denying that the Sooners have taken some interest in him.

****Stepping outside of the state, how about Nashville (Tenn.) Lipscomb Academy Rivals250 defensive back C.J. Jimcoily.

"The visit today was insane. I really enjoyed the vibe and seeing the passion in both players and coaches. It certainly was the most genuine visit I’ve attended in terms of the interactions I had. I got to watch practice and film, and I was able to talk with a lot of the coaches, including coach Venables. I definitely would like to visit again," McCoily said.

And though he fell in love with Oklahoma a bit during his trip the foundation had been laid for him for quite some time.

"I’ve been in touch with coach Valai prior to my visit and he has emphasized that my size, strength, and athleticism, amongst everything else, would allow me to dominate at Oklahoma playing corner. So corner is the likely position but safety has also been a thought. Still to be decided but I can play either. It seems he’s leaving it up to me and how I perform if I choose to come."

*****Oklahoma picked up a commitment from Jeremiah Newcombe on Saturday night but he was far from the only cornerback that Oklahoma really impressed. Also blown away by his Sooners visit was Richmond (Va.) Trinity Episcopal 2025 offer Terrance Edwards.

"Man, it was amazing, I love Oklahoma," Edwards said of his trip.

Edwards was in Norman last summer for Oklahoma's July 27 event and said this trip was different than his first visit to campus.

"This trip was more personal. Coach Valai, coach (Xavier) Brewer really took time with me and made me feel the OU love. They made me feel I was a top priority for them in 2025."

UPDATE: 10:55p - A player who picked up his offer during his visit was San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) JSerra catholic safety Logan Christensen.

"The offer was definitely a blessing by its self, but one thing that I loved was the energy at practice for sure," Christensen recalled afterward. "Players were getting after it and the coaches.

"Players were holding others accountable without coaches having to get on them. And I was able to talk with one of the safety’s Peter Schuh. I loved talking with him because he was able to share some knowledge with me about being a player at that level and I was very grateful for that."

**A player making a return to Norman is fellow San Juan Capistrano native Weston Port. The big-time linebacker was enamored with his first trip to Norman and his second trip seemed much the same with one coach in particular really spending a lot of time with the nation's No. 138 overall prospect.

"It was a great visit," Port said. "Seeing a practice and spending some time with coach (Ted) Roof were definitely highlights.

"Coach Roof and I talked for a long time about the scheme and system that Oklahoma runs. We went over plays and film. It was really cool."

UPDATE: 6:55a - One of the biggest names on the visit list this weekend, and one that will grow in importance going forward, is Lewisville, Texas Rivals250 offensive tackle Michael Fasusi.

The big man, loved his visit to Norman and clearly has hopes of returning.

"It was amazing man," Fasusi said. "It was fun being with coach Venables and coach B(edenbaugh). I got to talk with coach V for about 15 minutes.

"It was (also) a lot better to just talk with coach B (in person)."

As for what stood out to the 6-foot-6, 290-pound Fasusi it was a wide variety of things.

"(The) coaching staff of course, the facilities and resources they have, environment, the trophies and all too."

I'd expect multiple returns for Fasusi who told me before the visit that 'if I had a top three, Oklahoma would be in it'.

UPDATE: 3:35p - So just a quick note, looking to get more with him soon but after thinking he would not be able to make the trip recent defensive line offer Julian Marks of Overland Park (Kan.) St. Thomas Aquinas actually did make it in.

"We were able to go," Marks said.

The big man came away impressed with defensive line coach, and co-defensive coordinator, Todd Bates.

"He really knows his stuff. sitting in the d line meeting was great bc i got to see how much detail the d line really has," he said.

UPDATE: 3:43p - One of Texas's most explosive receivers continued to build his bond with Emmett Jones on the day as Gracen Harris of Ennis, Texas hit Norman.

He also, as many others did, discussed enjoying the manner in which the Sooners went through practice.

"(I) loved watching the team practice and seeing the energy and intensity they practice with. Also seeing how much they throw the ball," Harris acknowledged.

Then Harris admitted that his affinity for Oklahoma goes far behind this visit weekend.

"What made them different was I’ve been an OU fan all my life and to get that offer means a lot," he said. "But also how much they talked with my family and the relationship they are trying to build."

UPDATE: 3:59p - An in-state prospect who was making his first introduction with his position coach was Checotah, Okla. standout wide receiver Elijah Thomas.

Thomas was getting his first chance to be around Jones and the Sooners definitely made an impression.

"It was my first time (meeting Jones) but I really enjoyed it," he said.

"It felt like home."

UPDATE: 5:04p - A Californian who really liked his trip is 2025 Rivals250 wide receiver Lamason Waller.

"It was nothing less than amazing," Waller said. "The vibe and the energy with the coaches definitely stood out and speaks a lot of volumes."

His bond with the position coaches can't be ignored and won't be when he returns to Norman next month.

"I loved coach V, coach Bates, coach Jones, and coach Valai," he said. "It was a really, really good time I enjoyed everything about today and I’ll definitely be back for the spring game to see more."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News