ADVERTISEMENT

Staff Picks: Texas

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
@Eddie_Rado - 'm trying. I'm really trying. I just can't quite there. What's going to improve? Obviously the hope is Oklahoma 'plays better'. But what's realistic? How much worse can it get? Every time I thought that a week ago it got worse and then some.

F it. It's OU-Texas, Ed. Start acting like it.

I think you'll see a much more prepared team but what does that mean? Does it equate to a victory? Does it mean they can just keep it close? Have a little pride, folks.

Oklahoma has spent it's week operating like they will be without Dillon Gabriel. That's a tough blow. Oh you want some positives? I don't think Davis Beville can be worse than he was a week ago.

Everyone has talked about the things Oklahoma needs to do to win the game. Can they execute that gameplan? It's just hard for me to sit here and predict. The things that need to happen to win this game are simply things they haven't been able to put together all season.

So, yeah, Oklahoma can win the game. But they have to prove to it to me. They lost the benefit of the doubt last weekend.

I'm down so bad on this operation.

Texas 38
Oklahoma 23

@Josh_M - I am with many of you here, this feels like a game that if Oklahoma is going to win they're going to need some bounce of the ball luck and almost certainly for Dillon Gabriel to surprise everyone and be on the field Saturday morning.

I know that everyone wants to hear about who the starting quarterback will be but I can honestly say I have heard talk of just about every guy on the roster who has ever thrown a pass with Buzz about him telling people he would be starting this weekend.

I can't lie the late line move does make me wonder if some of the late Friday Buzz that Gabriel has been cleared actually has some legs to it.

As Eddie said that's all moot if the defense can't find a way to play with a little bit of confidence and just frankly communicate better than we've seen the last few weeks.

I will say that I don't think this defense is miles away from being a solid, yet unspectacular, group. My question is even if they hit that point in the Cotton Bowl is that enough against an extremely talented Texas offense?

If Gabriel isn't able to start then I would expect to see multiple quarterbacks on the field Saturday and will be very interested to see if Oklahoma tries to slow their Pace down offensively as we talked about early in the week on the podcast. And if they do so will they go to a run heavy attack in hopes of winning some blocking battles out wide where I think they can have some success.

In the end, I think there are just too many what ifs to every possible scenario of Oklahoma winning this game for me to predict a shocking out time tomorrow.

Texas 42
Oklahoma 21

@BPrzybylo - Does this OU team have any heart? We heard for nine months about how tight-knit this group was and how the culture had been instilled.

And then the last couple of weeks have shown us what, exactly? So this might be the final time the majority of OU fans check in with Team No. 128, if Brent Venables’ group cannot get it done vs. Texas in the Red River Shootout.

If it’s not Dillon Gabriel, count me in among those who just want OU to go jumbo with Brayden Willis and Daniel Parker and feast with a three-headed monster at running back Eric Gray, Marcus Major and Jovantae Barnes.

Shorten the game, get a couple of turnovers and maybe? Just maybe, but for the first time in a long time, it feels like the Horns have the edge.

But even when OU has had the edge in the last decade, it hasn’t mattered. The games have been fun, classics and incredibly competitive.

Can OU duplicate that if it’s not at full strength?

Quinn Ewers returning will be an enormous spark for Texas, and a bad sign for an OU secondary that was torched repeatedly and out of position at TCU.

Take some Ewers and add some Bijan Robinson, and it feels like it’ll be a long afternoon for the Sooners. You hope OU shows who it is and can muster some physical and mental toughness.

But the last two weeks have let us know what this OU team is at the moment. And unfortunately, that’s just not a good thing.

Texas 31, OU 21

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News