ADVERTISEMENT

STAFF PICKS: Texas

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
@BPrzybylo - For the first time in a long time, any win by Oklahoma vs. Texas feels like it will be acceptable. Nobody cares about victory margin Saturday. Maybe the last time was 2010 where it felt like the teams were about even. Since then? The Sooners should have dominated the series and should have had some easy blowouts.

That occurred in 2011 (55-17), 2012 (63-21) but not since. In the last seven matchups in the Cotton Bowl, every game has been decided by a one-possession score. OU is sporting a 5-2 record during that span, which is nice, but there hasn’t been like a 52-17 thumping you might have expected from guys as talented as Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray or Jalen Hurts.

The Texas offense feels like a different animal under Steve Sarkisian. Running back Bijan Robinson is not hurting for touches, and quarterback Casey Thompson is a lot more than just a game manager.

Robinson could realistically go for like 250 all-purpose yards, and OU could still somehow win. Because as much as there’s a lot to like for the Horns offensively, the defense is there for big plays to happen.

And if quarterback Spencer Rattler can find that groove again like he did in the second half vs. West Virginia and all game at Kansas State, yards and points will be a-plenty for the Sooners.

It’ll be a gut-check moment for Alex Grinch’s defense, and there are going to be some hiccups. But getting three takeaways ends up being huge in this one as guys like Nik Bonitto and Isaiah Thomas do all they can to leave their mark in the rivalry.

It’s going to be up to Kennedy Brooks to be the difference maker down the stretch, and he’s up to the task. It’s still not a blowout, but nobody is gonna be worried about that.

The Golden Hat stays in Norman for another year.

OU 32, Texas 30.

@Eddie_Rado - Best weekend of the year so let's make this short and simple. I'll save you all of the cliche lines about whoever runs the ball the best, etc.

Oklahoma has the more proven quarterback. Oklahoma has the better offensive line. Oklahoma has the better defensive line. Don't overthink this one.

We're calling this one a midseason Super Bowl. Want to wash the foul taste of the first five games out of your mouth? Go out and kick the shit out of Texas. It's good for the football soul.

And while I certainly don't think it'll happen that easily. You see this game usually doesn't go down like that. Keep in mind the last eight OU-Texas match-ups have been decided by one possession.

Look for Spencer Rattler to pick up where he left off a week ago. He's completed 37 of his last 41 passes. I think that's being overlooked.

Sooners defensive line leads the way. Oklahoma looks closer to what we've expected out of Oklahoma. Gabe Brkic 55-yard goal seals it late.

Oklahoma 37
Texas 28

@Josh_M - I'm officially at a loss. Two weeks ago I thought Oklahoma would wake-up and put West Virginia down. They did, but not in any sort of fashion I recognized. A week later I'd finally washed my hands of believing in this team, and they put together their best performance of the year and one that a few easy interceptions would have made quite lopsided.

So where does this team go from here?

Everyone loves to get into the emotions and the chaos of this game but since the 2015 RRS (yes, it's a Shootout, fight me!) only once has the team who won the rushing battle not won this game - 2018 Oklahoma. With Texas outgaining the Sooners by almost 115 yard per game on the ground that doesn't seem a recipe for success but the Sooners defense is also surrendering nearly 90 yards per game less than Texas on the ground. So, it's a case of something has to give.

If there is one aspect of this team I'm willing to buy into? It is the defensive line. Now they are going to give up some runs to Bijan Robinson, he is just too good for that not to be the case. But I don't think you are going to see the consistent gash plays that the Longhorns found against TCU.

The danger? Casey Thompson. If he can bust loose and force Oklahoma to be mindful of his ability on the edge - both as a runner and a passer - then things get real tricky for Oklahoma's defense.

The other worry is Xavier Worthy, his speed is a danger for Oklahoma in a secondary that is a beat beaten up by injuries but has hopes of getting back some pieces this weekend.

I just trust Oklahoma's play along the line of scrimmage a bit more than I do Texas and even if the two play to a stalemate, I'm taking Spencer Rattler over Casey Thompson.

In the end it comes down to me seeing more avenues for Oklahoma to win this game. For Texas to win I just don't think they can lean on their defense the way the others have against Oklahoma and I'm not sure I believe the run game can consistently keep the chains moving against a run defense that should be armed for bear.

I just don't think Oklahoma's path to a win has to follow a certain script.

Oklahoma 30
Texas 24

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News