ADVERTISEMENT

#ST2K18 media day nuggets

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
As much as we love talking with Lincoln Riley, Kyler Murray, etc., best part (to me) about media day is checking in with the freshmen. Either true or redshirt, about going through this process and things of that nature.

Some tidbits from those guys. Plan on writing more in-depth pieces on them in January/February.

DvcGN2BUUAE82VO.jpg

Bookie Radley-Hiles

https://oklahoma.forums.rivals.com/threads/scoophd-bookie-radley-hiles.121185/

DvcE3RQUYAEZLFE.jpg

Brey Walker

What’s season been like?

It’s been a smooth transition, coming from high school to college. Everything has been real fun, real smooth. I have no complaints at all. Everything has been good.

Tougher than you thought?

I came in here as Mr. Big Stuff, not realizing there were a lot of other guys that are just like me. But as far as like next year, I feel like I’ll be on the field.

Joe Moore Award?

When I saw that trophy, I was like, wow, this is happening. It was a cool experience to get to go through that with the guys. I was really excited for them. We still have more stuff to do this year, though.

DaShaun White

Live up to expectations?

I don’t know how to put it. Is it what I thought it would be? I think so, yea. Obviously, expected to be a little more in the loop. Just really getting in to where I fit in. Really big to me this year, proving to my teammates that I can be accountable.

Tough to accept minor role?

Yea, that is something you just sort of have to work through. But I know with me, whenever it’s my time, I know I’m going to be ready. That’s just sort of the way I started to look at it after a while. I feel like, even today that if my number was called, I’d be ready to do my job.

Kish?

Kish has been the biggest piece so far. I know he’s been pretty hard on me. Supposedly, he’s the hardest on me than he’s been on anyone so far is what they say. Kish has been a lot of good help. Besides him being hard on me or whatever, just reading through into what he’s saying. The things he has helped me with have been really important.

Ronnie Perkins

Describe first season:

I think my first season with the team went great. I got like a lot of big brothers since I came from Day 1 that took me under their wings and showed me the ways. Any time I’m in practice, I can go to like anybody on the defense and ask questions. I think the first year on the team was great to me.

Adjust easily to the next level, describe adjustment:

I think coming in in the spring, coming in early, it really helped. Going back and watching my spring tape through the summer, it showed me a lot that I have to work on, what I have to do to get to the level that I’m playing at now. So hopefully this next coming offseason I can look back on this season and do what I can do to get better for next season, too.

Like without Mike:

I’d probably say that process, switching defensive coordinators, it was a long process to adjust. Because coach Mike Stoops, he was a good guy to all of us. Many people in our locker room, we respect him. We loved him. But it’s just the business of college football. Coach Ruff coming in, it was a new face around the defense, and we all loved him, too. We want to play hard for coach Ruff, too. But after him, it was like no drop-off, no big difference. We all let coach Ruff know we’re gonna go hard for him and we’re gonna do whatever he tells us to do.

Brayden Willis

What led to you being to contribute so quickly?

Getting on special teams was a big thing. As a freshman that’s the fastest way to get on the field. Trying to learn offensive system fast and performing on offense helps you get on the field, but definitely special teams helped me.

How did special teams experience translate to playing on offense?

With special teams you’ve got to pay attention to details. You have to always watch film and see how the other team does things, so it kind of helps on offense as it relates to film studies. You have to watch film on special teams, so that translates to offense because you have to watch the defensive tendencies.

What position are you pegged in?

Kind of a hybrid. I started off with a Y, inside receiver, like a Mark Andrews thing. Throughout the year I’ve gone with coach Beamer and learned H too. I know both positions. I’d say I’m a hybrid.

Jalen Redmond

How do you feel physically?

Physically I feel fine. I'm working out, still doing the same stuff, just no contact, but other than that I'm feeling fine. I'm still taking my medicine and things like that.

How tough was that, especially the relapse of it?

It was tough. You know coming in and playing three games and actually doing pretty good and just out of the blue it comes back and still not knowing where it's coming from, it messes with your head a little bit.

Were you scared when that first happened?

Of course I was scared, man. I didn't know what was going on. It felt like my ribs was broke, and they told me it wasn't nothing going on. And I was like 'so what's wrong? Why am I feeling this way?' But when the second time came around and it happened I was like 'okay, maybe I need to just take the whole six months off so I can come back and won't have to deal with it anymore.

Tanner Mordecai

Feel pressure you'll be expected to follow guys like Kyler, Baker?

I mean, Coach Riley is gonna do what he always does, coach the quarterbacks the same way. He always does. Just do what he tells you and everything will be fine.

Your first season with Riley?

It's cool being around him, seeing how he runs things. He's the best offensive mind in college football.

Scout team right now?

Yeah, I'm Tua for the week. That's been fun. Just trying to give the defense a good look.

A couple more.

JAQUAYLN CRAWFORD

Tough to redshirt?

“I mean, it’s tough, knowing my abilities, knowing what I can do in this offense. But it’s all a process. All a plan. You just gotta trust it. When my time comes, it’ll come. So I’m just being patient.”

Tough to stay mentally sharp, not playing?

“It was early. But I kind of got used to it. First couple of weeks were rough, but after I got used to it, I just started working harder and started putting myself in position to play in games in the four games I could. Or put myself in position to get ready for spring.

Openings with Brown possible leaving?

“I definitely used this redshirt year to better myself and prepare myself to get ready for next year, put myself in position to get on the field. Whether it happens or not, I’ll just do whatever I can this spring to try to fight for a spot.”

DRAKE STOOPS

What’s this first year been like?

Very eye-opening. But it’s been amazing. I’m enjoying all my time.

What was it like the first few practices, did you feel you belonged?

The first few practices of fall camp were exhilarating. All I wanted to do was work my ass off every day. It’s exactly what I do to this day, just try and work.

Question whether you belonged?

No. I believe in myself, bottom line. I don’t need anyone else to believe in me. I know if I believe in myself I can accomplish what I need to. To get to where I want to be I knew I’d have to work hard. There’s nothing I love more than working hard. I never really questioned myself. I could tell that I needed to make an improvement and work on my craft, as well as get in the weight room and get faster and bigger. But I knew that would all come in time and I didn’t need to stress out right then and there, being a 19-year-old true freshman, you know?

What is proud-dad-Bob Stoops like?

He doesn’t cry or anything, he’s just a proud dad like any other dad. He’s a normal dad, that’s the thing. Everyone gets caught up in all that, but he’s just proud. Smile on his face, giving me a big hug. Telling me he’s proud of me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News