ADVERTISEMENT

Some Lincoln Riley tidbits ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Lincoln was out at the Sooner Appreciation golf tournament this afternoon talking to media. Here's some highlights from the conversation.

* On last year and moving into his second year of calling plays for the Sooners ...

"Great. It was a fun year. Anytime you end the year with a championship and a chance to win it all. That's all you can ask for. That's the position you want to put yourself in every year."

* Outside of the typical coach speak Riley reiterated what Bob Stoops told the crowd in that they think Cody Ford is somebody who could really have a big year. Ben Powers name was also mentioned as a player that they are expecting to contribute up front.

* Lots of talk about the early non-conference schedule ... Riley said he thinks it's good to have high expectations and the early non-conf does nothing but help the focus of the team entering camp.

"We definitely are more experienced but again it's going to be about the group coming together, like that group last year. If we'll do that as well as the group last year it means we will be better but it's a big challenge," said Riley. "That group did a great job. This is a whole new deal. We can't carry over those points or any of those yards from last year. it's time to do it this year & I think our kids have a pretty good mindset."

-- will be interesting to see what leaders emerge from the beginning of camp. Mike Stoops said you'll really be able to tell who is going to show up as camp gets underway in terms of being a cornerstone/leadership.

* Getting Austin Kendall reps during the spring was tremendous. Riley expects Kendall to have improved over the summer, but did hint it's hard to really know what to expect when the coaches are unable to monitor the players during the summer.

"We're so limited in what we can see. We're 100 percent liable for everything they do but the NCAA allows us basically to get around them none. That's just kind of how it works," Riley said.

"I feel like he got a really good foundation in the spring and it helps being in there with some experienced guys around him that have done it. He's a hard enough worker and dedicated enough that I'd expect he is quite a bit better going into camp than the last time I saw him."

-- it'll be interesting how they use AK during the season. Obviously, Baker Mayfield is QB1 but I'd think you want to get him snaps when you can. There's no doubt he'll be the No.2.

* Has Baker changed any?

"Hopefully not a ton. I think he's improved. He's bought in with the things he has to get better at and understands that despite everybody telling him how good he is there's a lot that he does need to get better at," says Riley.

-- Baker's going to be Baker ... I think everybody knows that.

* Nick Basquine's name came up again today. I asked Riley ... is this thing for real?

"Yeah. He was hurt early a lot last year and really didn't get much of an opportunity. He took that time off to really work on his body physically. His body really changed. Then he came in and had a great spring. He made a lot of plays. He was physical. You could tell he really had come a long ways in just his overall maturity and development. he's a guy that our quarterbacks trust right now."

* other names mentioned by Riley as 'surprise'/'breakout' players this season ... couple shouldn't be surprises ... Cody Ford, Ben Powers, Geno Lewis, Mark Andrews, AD Miller, Nick Basquine and Rodney Anderson.

Lincoln Riley quote that'll get you in all the feels and ready for football ...

"The great thing about this place is as good as you've been & as good as you've done you're not the best one that has ever walked through here. Player, coach ... anybody. It's what is expected around here so that makes it pretty easy in our minds to flip it back over and say 'hey we've got to do it again this year"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News