ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: The good news

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
The Sooners are about to complete a sweep in Lubbock. They lead the Lady Raiders 18-6, still batting in the top of the sixth having scored eight runs, culminated by Lauren Chamberlains grand slam. Bases loaded two outs, trying to add more.

The bad news is that Kelsey Stevens started and got only four outs while surrendering all six runs. If they can't figure out how to get her going, this team isn't going anywhere in the post season. Parker is pitching very well, but a second pitcher is needed. Last season, Kelsey didn't get it going until she got up over the 50 innings mark for the season. This year, it's been hard to get her up to any innings count, because she just hasn't been able to get enough outs.

Three of her runs allowed were unearned, but ..... And it's not like Tech is some powerful lineup.

After Chamberlain's two out grand slam, six more Sooners batted resulting in three more runs for a 21-6 lead.

Then Parker got the Raiders in order in B6 to close it out on the eight run rule. Sooner sweep keeps them undefeated in the conference 3-0. They play at home Tuesday against Central Arkansas and then host a three game series against Iowa State next weekend. But because it's Easter weekend, it a single game Friday and a double header Saturday.

So we really need Kelsey to figure out her problems.

Lauren hasn't been in a good groove at the plate recently. This was her first homer since the Sooners played a horrible East Carolina team and scored 23 against their weaker pitchers. She hasn't been the same since an injury in a collision in the Loyola Marymount game. She had seven home runs in the first ten games and that included some top competition. In the last 21 games, she has seven more, but none against the teams with quality pitching.

Maybe today will get her going, though it was like the third or fourth Tech pitcher, and Tech's pitching staff just isn't very good. OU scored 43 against them this weekend in 19 innings.

Other good news: Georgia Casey has had some duties as a pinch runner. Calley Parsons is back active and had an at bat as a sub in the 11 run sixth inning and got on base and scored a run. They need to get better to accomplish what they seek to accomplish.

One other small piece of good news. OU played Iowa as part of a long weekend involving three teams. The Third was East Carolina OU beat Iowa three times, 23-3, 8-2 and 9-0.

Iowa is playing this weekend at Michigan, who is ranked fourth nationally, which is a little overrated considering there just isn't much competition in the Big Ten. The third game is ending in snow and heavy wind, but with one out left in B7 on BTN, Iowa leads 6-4. Michigan won the first two games 6-0 and 7-4.

Plaino,

Any idea what is going on with Kelsey? Hurt, lack of confidence, mechanical issues? She was money last year and wanted the ball. Very fortunate to have Paige and glad she doing well! Great young lady and tremendous family!

This post was edited on 3/29 6:34 PM by Autman

Because of the television dynamic, I haven't seen her throw a pitch this year.

I started watching MLB baseball nearly 60 years ago. And though it's a totally different dynamic, just a thought. There were a lot of pitchers who mostly relied on location and a good breaking ball, who were never very good in the first half of the season. It took innings to get them on track. Best I can think of was Dennis Leonard.

In a 12 year career, he averaged 16 wins and 35 starts a year. He was a 20 game winner three times. He never made an all star team, mostly because he just wasn't a terrific pitcher in the first half of the season ever. But he was often the Royals' stud horse in August and September. The Royals won their division seven times in his career. And all but one of those seasons, he was a huge factor.

But it took him half a season to get there.

Last year, Kelsey was pretty mediocre early in the season. But we didn't really have anybody better, so they put her out there after a little break and somehow, it kicked in. She doesn't have dominant velocity so she has to rely on hitting her spots, changing speeds and pitching smart.

So I'd think one of three things has happened. One possibility is that she threw a lot of innings last season on tv and teams have a pretty good idea of what to expect from her. I think a lot of the time last season, because she didn't have great velocity, teams tended to go up there hacking against her. It seemed to be more effective later in the year, to take pitches earlier in the count. She was shaving the edges of the strike zone a lot and when you swung early, you were maybe hitting her pitch. If you took those pitches, and they were often a little off the plate, then you got a better pitch to hit later in the count. I don't know if that's the issue this year or not. Again, I haven't seen her throw much.

But today, she got four outs and surrendered six runs. The Parker came in and allowed no runs and got 14 outs. That is an obvious performance difference. Same strike zone, you'd expect. I do think it's a factor that most teams figure they don't have to worry about a rise ball, which is such a big pitch for most college softball pitchers. It surely is for Parker. But Kelsey is five or six MPH below Parker in velocity.

The second possibility is that she just threw too many innings last season, and the wear and tear made a difference. I know that today, half of her runs allowed were unearned. When you're relying on a narrow margin of error in the strike zone, giving extra outs is a bigger problem. It's harder for her to overcome. She's also not as athletic generally as our other pitchers of the last six seasons. She doesn't field her position as well as Parker or the two from the NC season.

And I think the third possibility is that she's just one of those pitchers that doesn't hit her stride until she gets the touch going and the inning count goes up. It was certainly the case last season. They had counted on Georgia Casey to be their go to pitcher last season, and that didn't work out. But Stevens bailed them out. She was stellar in the conference season and in the regional and super regional.

I hope it's the latter. She's not going to throw much over the low 60s. She has to pitch to narrow spots. But a pitcher like that usually needs extra work to get in the groove of hitting her spots consistently. But we need her to be good if this team is going to be good. Pendley is a decent third pitcher, but she's not going to be somebody who can be consistently effective against top teams. If the goal is getting to the WCWS and maybe winning it, you're only going to see top teams once you get there. Besides, Pendley is such a key person in the batting order. The mental requirement to pitch to a top lineup is a big deal. It can't help but impact her performance as a middle infielder and batter. She's not like somebody like Ricketts, who blew people away with dominant velocity and stuff. And splendid athleticism.

I am assuming that given her injury, that Casey isn't a possibility. And I don't think the other pitchers have combined for ten innings this year. So if we are going to have a reliable number two, then Kelsey needs to figure it out. So far, that hasn't been happening.

Well, it happened yet again. The Sooners stomped Central Arkansas, though it wasn't a run rule win. That would be mostly because Kelsey got the start and had another inning where she just couldn't get a third out. Two shut out innings and the Sooners led 6-0. It looks like the move of Lauren to lead off and Shelby to hitting number two might be the way it is for a while. Nothing too wrong about having your best two hitters be assured of the best chances of the most at bats. And it seems Pendley's little sis, Nicole, is a pretty good number six hitter.

But top of the third, Central Arkansas, scored six all charged to Stevens, including a stint ending home run that tied the game 6-6. The Sooners came back to score six quickly then nobody scored in the last three innings. Parker came in to clean up the mess and pitch 3.2 innings. Leslie Miller gave up a hit and a walk in the seventh, but no runs.

They are trying to give Kelsey a chance to work out the kinks. But in the last two games she started against competition considerably less talented than she'd need to find outs against in more important games. OU has scored 33 runs, while surrendering 12, all by Stevens. She couldn't get out of the second against Tech and got eight outs today.

So on it goes. But it appears that maybe they are going to maybe start looking in another direction for a second starter.

This weekend, they play one Friday and two Saturday against Iowa State in the first home series of the conference season. ISU and Tech are likely the two weakest conference teams. Only seven conference schools play softball.

Originally posted by Autman:
Plaino,

Any idea what is going on with Kelsey? Hurt, lack of confidence, mechanical issues? She was money last year and wanted the ball. Very fortunate to have Paige and glad she doing well! Great young lady and tremendous family!

This post was edited on 3/29 6:34 PM by Autman
I finally got to see a dozen of her pitches when the other guys were driving the ball. I am no softball expert, especially when it comes to pitching. But I noticed against Tech, and it was true again today, she is almost straight legged at her release point. Last year, she was very bent over in her delivery, almost in an exaggerated manner. And she had a funny crook in her arm when she was moving forward.

When you watch this online highlights, you don't get to see the whole delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd tried to alter it a little, because it was pretty funky looking. But when your knees aren't bent at your release point, you can't have any power, and I don't think you can have much control. But I'm sure their pitching coach would see that. But her delivery looks poor.And the results show that something needs to change.

I don't know if she's hurt. But she just didn't look right in the pitches I've seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT