ADVERTISEMENT

So let’s just say……

Larry4681

Walk-on candidate
Sep 27, 2023
Let’s say we win out. What do we need to happen to make the big 12 championship game? A Texas loss OR a Oklahoma state loss? Or both? TIA

It's not very complicated for OU now. In order for OU to get into the championship game, at least one of these scenarios must happen:

1) OU wins out and Texas loses to either Iowa State or Texas Tech.

2) OU wins out and Oklahoma State loses to either Houston or BYU.

If Texas and Oklahoma State both win out, they will play in the Big 12 Championship game.

The only thing I'm not sure about is Kansas State and OU tie-breaker if both win out.

It's not very complicated for OU now. In order for OU to get into the championship game, at least one of these scenarios must happen:

1) OU wins out and Texas loses to either Iowa State or Texas Tech.

2) OU wins out and Oklahoma State loses to either Houston or BYU.

If Texas and Oklahoma State both win out, they will play in the Big 12 Championship game.

The only thing I'm not sure about is Kansas State and OU tie-breaker if both win out.

If OU winds up a three-way tie with OSU and Kansas State and Texas wins out, the Sooners would make the title game by virtue of their win over Texas.

Even though the Cowboys have beaten both OU and Kansas State, the head-to-head matchups wouldn’t be considered since the Sooners and Wildcats don’t play this season.

Reactions: iasooner2000
If OU winds up a three-way tie with OSU and Kansas State and Texas wins out, the Sooners would make the title game by virtue of their win over Texas.

Even though the Cowboys have beaten both OU and Kansas State, the head-to-head matchups wouldn’t be considered since the Sooners and Wildcats don’t play this season.
You sure about that 67. I would think since OSU would be 2-0 vs those and at best OU could be 1-1 why wouldnt that be considered? It seems that what OU really needs is for OSU to lose one more and then win out. I havent looked at the breaker rules so thats why I am asking.

BTW I really liked what I saw last night at the game.

1. Stoops has earned everything he has gotten at OU. RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT. I asked my son in law last night if he thought Stoops would find a home in the NFL. I think he will.

2. OU played angry and with pride. No way they lose to KU or OSU had they played with this fire.

3. DG had a Texas game. Missed some throws but made up for those with his legs and under pressure throws.

4. The refs sucked as usual.

5. Sawchuck ran with determination and vigor. What a game by the young man.

6. Defense, defense, defense. The goal line stand was a thing of beauty. 7 of those 20 points given up wasnt on them. That final WV drive at end of half was a ref aided drive and score. They overcame all of that in the end.

7. The atmosphere was terrific minus the SEC SEC SEC chanting. I will never chant that and if I do I told my Razorback SIL to slap me in the head.

OSU holds the tiebreaker, they would play. Win over texas only comes into effect if Texas loses another game and both have 2 losses. If its OU and K-State it would be the higher ranked team that plays.

We actually would be better if Texas wins out and OSU loses. That's all we need. OSU is the only only loss team that has an advantage on us. If they lose, we beat ISU and we don't play KState. But we'd have the advantage over them because after all the tie breakers, the one that comes up is wins over the best teams.

It gets really complicated if Texas loses and the tie breakers come from among two loss teams. Then the possibilites get endless.

You sure about that 67. I would think since OSU would be 2-0 vs those and at best OU could be 1-1 why wouldnt that be considered? It seems that what OU really needs is for OSU to lose one more and then win out. I havent looked at the breaker rules so thats why I am asking.

BTW I really liked what I saw last night at the game.

1. Stoops has earned everything he has gotten at OU. RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT. I asked my son in law last night if he thought Stoops would find a home in the NFL. I think he will.

2. OU played angry and with pride. No way they lose to KU or OSU had they played with this fire.

3. DG had a Texas game. Missed some throws but made up for those with his legs and under pressure throws.

4. The refs sucked as usual.

5. Sawchuck ran with determination and vigor. What a game by the young man.

6. Defense, defense, defense. The goal line stand was a thing of beauty. 7 of those 20 points given up wasnt on them. That final WV drive at end of half was a ref aided drive and score. They overcame all of that in the end.

7. The atmosphere was terrific minus the SEC SEC SEC chanting. I will never chant that and if I do I told my Razorback SIL to slap me in the head.
Not sure, read it late last night on the interwebs. I was thinking it would be better if OSU lost one more it would def be us if we win out. Watching OSU yesterday that seems very possible. Would be good also if texass lost 1 more, they certainly have had some close ones.
At any rate OU doesn't control their own destiny anymore, they just need to worry about winning out and hopefully get a little help.

Even if Texas wins out and gets to the playoffs I dont believe they could beat any of those top 4 teams. In reality I think Oregon and UGA may just be the two best teams in the country. I think both would destroy Texas. Just my opinion though

Even if Texas wins out and gets to the playoffs I dont believe they could beat any of those top 4 teams. In reality I think Oregon and UGA may just be the two best teams in the country. I think both would destroy Texas. Just my opinion though
Whorns are barely scraping by. I agree. 👍

Texas has a trip to Iowa State, then hosts Tech on black Friday.

OSU has the easiest schedule. Next weekend at Houston, then host BYU, who has won a conference road game. Go Coogs X 2.

We know our schedule. At BYU who had their first home loss yesterday. And TCU in Norman.

ISU hosts Texas, then goes to KState.

KState goes to Lawrence, then hosts Iowa State.

OSU is unpredictable, but if they win out, it will be tough for us to make it. If Texas wins out also, we'd be out unless Iowa State goes undefeated. If there is a three way tie with OSU and KState, then it would be OSU, because they beat us both.

Last edited:
If Texas loses, there could still be a four way tie. That wouldn't serve us well, unless KState loses at home to Iowa State. I wouldn't expect that. It will work itself out. Let's see how things go at Ames next week. Texas is such a puzzler. Their second half failures with comfortable leads have been pretty close to remarkable. I mean TCU seems pretty ordinary this year. But if 5 doesn't make a remarkable catch for the Longhorns at the end yesterday, the Frogs had all the momentum. Texas should have killed them. Hard to imagine how this team won in Tuscaloosa.

If Texas loses, there could still be a four way tie. That wouldn't serve us well, unless KState loses at home to Iowa State. I wouldn't expect that. It will work itself out. Let's see how things go at Ames next week. Texas is such a puzzler. Their second half failures with comfortable leads have been pretty close to remarkable. I mean TCU seems pretty ordinary this year. But if 5 doesn't make a remarkable catch for the Longhorns at the end yesterday, the Frogs had all the momentum. Texas should have killed them. Hard to imagine how this team won in Tuscaloosa.
Saw this earlier. Not good for the whorns going forward. Happened during TCU game.
Texas RB Jonathon Brooks is out for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee.

This site allows you to plug in all scenarios. Basically put OU needs Texas to lose.
Texass has been flirting with getting another loss lately, Brooks being out won't help them, not sure who else they have RB wise but probably someone that can step in and do a decent enough job vs what they have left to play.
If only we had not laid an egg vs OSU or Kansas all we would need worry about is winning out and we still do but its out of our hands and will be completely out of it if we drop one more.
Big Toes crossed!

Texass has been flirting with getting another loss lately, Brooks being out won't help them, not sure who else they have RB wise but probably someone that can step in and do a decent enough job vs what they have left to play.
If only we had not laid an egg vs OSU or Kansas all we would need worry about is winning out and we still do but its out of our hands and will be completely out of it if we drop one more.
Big Toes crossed!
True but after last season I am pretty sure the season this year has been an improvement. The start of 7-0 probably got us all a little to excited and then came the back to back losses bringing is all back down to earth.

A 10-2 season is a pleasant surprise if they accomplish that with or without playing in the B12CG. If OU gets to the championship and wins it that will just be icing on the cake

True but after last season I am pretty sure the season this year has been an improvement. The start of 7-0 probably got us all a little to excited and then came the back to back losses bringing is all back down to earth.

A 10-2 season is a pleasant surprise if they accomplish that with or without playing in the B12CG. If OU gets to the championship and wins it that will just be icing on the cake
Yep I predicted a 2 or 3 loss season so hopefully I am right with only a 2 loss.
Heck of a turnaround from yr one for sure.

Big Toes crossed!
Texas has a 5 star RB CJ Baxter that is just as good if not better than Brooks.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT