ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatch SMU notes

tdsooners

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
I came away thinking the defense played well, and the offense not so much. Watching again this AM and I’ll give you what I see.

Drive one,..Stogner whiffs on a block puts us behind the chains as Major loses 3 yards on first. Fumble on 2nd that we go fast to avoid review….run screen…..read well. Punt.

Drive killer- near fumble.

Drive 2- blocked punt sets us up at the 40. Arnold runs power then plays receiver for a play….Tawee Walker goes for 10. RPO, great read by DG, perfect throw..Anthony scores. TD

Drive 3- hold on rouse…very borderline call…behind chains 1st and 20. A scramble by DG and a run by major get us to 3rd and 6…Byrd whiffs on the DT sack, no stunt or anything, he got in his pass pro drop and lost leverage on an inside move. About as bad a play as you can have for an OG.….Punt

Drive killer- OL execution. Hold and a whiff.

Drive 4- 2 first downs, staying ahead of the chains…Freeman busts his route on a bubble screen 2nd and 10…stoops with a drop. 3rd and 10. Shelton works the wrong way on a curl…..punt.

Drive killer- Drops and poor execution by receivers in passing game

Drive 5- start @5 following pooch punt. Walker for 9 then 3. Pass to the flat Anthony…first down. Physical run for 6 with OL adding to the push first down. Walker has best run of the game, this goes for about 30….a back with great speed scores. Nice completion to Farooq. Barnes gets a carry….has some momentum to gain 4 or 5 but cuts outside into a tackle for a one yard gain.. 2nd and 9. Walker replaces Barnes….we run the same play, he follows the blocks correctly and gains 6…3rd and 3. Walker again….gains 5. Nice play call on play action….TE in the flat…easy TD.
95 yard drive…..best of game. No penalties or negative plays.

TD

The next SMU drive is the 4th down where they complete the wheel rout for 20 or so from their own 30. Borderline OPI. TE runs a pick that springs the back. Announcer called Kanak, but he was covering TE. I think Bowman likely should have had him…..Billy’s made some nice plays, but he’s also had a couple of mistakes. 2nd 4th down try….Kanak breaks up throw to TE, Why are we replacing him fans?

6th drive from our own 40. 2 RB Carrie’s for one yard runs and an offsides….3rd and 4.QB draw with Gabriel….this one I’ll give to Lebby, though I think Gabriel stretched it wide too quickly. Punt.

Drive killer- Run game execution/Stubborn play calling.

Drive 7….13 seconds….a pass that doesn’t develop and a knee. Half.

Drive 8- fair catch on the punt but a hold.,..start at 21. Swing pass…check down. 1st down. Scramble short run…3rd and 3. JA gets a shitty spot..TW gets a favorable one on 4th down play….first down…… Gabriel misses an open Stogner but, extends play and finds Freeman…..Freeman drops the pass at the 35. Stogner is no threat in the bootleg game..,,gets throw in the flat, makes no one miss…3rd and 7. Handoff left to Sawchuck. This is the play that pissed everyone off. I question whether this was RPO, as there was pass action to the right. Either way, we didn’t execute. Bad play call on 3rd….but should have been first down around the 30, and if we don’t hold on a punt that’s being fair caught….that’s more like the 20, which changed the way we attack completely. Punt.

Drive killer- Drop by freeman.

Drive 9…start at our own 38 after turnover. 3 touches by Walker….all positive plays first down. Walker for 5. Sub. Barnes for 4…. 3rd and 1 zone read, Gabriel pulls…no gain. No pass option on the zone read. 4th and 1 Arnold for 6. First down. Swing to stoops 2nd and 3. Walker with 2 one yard runs. JA in the game. Surges ahead tough spot. 4 inches short, with a spot that seemed 2 feet short of where he was down to me. Turnover on downs at the 18.

Run game execution…. I had initially mentioned play call, but frankly if you can’t get 3 yards on3 plays….that’s more about run game execution/stubborn play calling maybe.

Drive 10- quick passing game…2 straight first downs. Short run. RPO tipped nearly disaster. 3-6. Beat the blitz with a draw to the other side…..maybe this defensive look is what we were looking for earlier on 3rd down run on drive 8? Quick pass…..Great looking play with wheel rout to RB….called back for Ineligible down field. Very stupid. Short run…now 3rd and 6…RPo great play by stoops to pick up first. Shot to stoops in the end zone. Just off. Have to wonder would Anderson or Gibson be better targets there? False start….2nd and 15. Seam rout to Farooq…breaks tackle, makes a guy miss TD…..he needs the ball more. He was targeted twice and had one kickoff return….good things happened on all.

Good drive to overcome adversity.

Drive 11- 2 run plays trying to chew clock with ball on 30 and 7 minutes left…..Gabriel snaps the ball fast on 2nd dow bad play. 3rd and 6. Major slips out and flanks the defense in the flat, makes a guy miss and rolls for a 26 yard TD.

Drive 12- victory formation.

So we actually had 10 drives with a chance to do something from a time perspective. We scored TDs on 4.
On the 6 that we didn’t score on, I’ll give Lebby the blame on 1….maybe 2. Drive 6 and partial credit on drive 9. The rest were more about bad execution, penalties, and just mistakes.

All in, I kind of like this win. It wasn’t pretty but we had to compete. We got to see a lot of players and we’re narrowing in on who we can count on to execute in competitive moments.

Worst performances on offense……Freeman, Byrd, Guyton, Rouse. All of these guys made Glaring mistakes that short circuited drives.

Best performances- Walker, Major, Anthony, Farooq.

Needs more opportunities…..Farooq needs more opportunities to touch the ball. RBs need more opportunities in the middle of the field in the passing game. Giant holes there when defenses drop like they were last night,

Needs fewer opportunities….DG on designed runs. He is good at extending and improvising but he doesn’t have great feel for the QB draw or zone read. We need passing options on zone read and bootlegs to get him in space more, as that is where he excels. Also- Freeman had a horrible game. One drop isn’t going to make me say let’s don’t play him but it was a HUGE momentum crushing drop.

Go to play….Anthony on RPO and option routes…..need to find more “go to plays” in the pass game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News