ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: UTEP

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 86 - Had an ugly second quarter but in general was a cool customer who ran the offense smoothly.
RB: Eric Gray - 91 - He just looks so much more comfortable in this scheme, some of his cuts were elite.
WR: Drake Stoops - 75 - Not a bad day but nothing over the moon from him.
WR: Marvin Mims - 90 - Had some opportunities to have an even better day but still was very solid.
WR: Theo Wease - 78 - A steady day but didn't do anything that really caught my eye.
TE: Brayden Willis- 95 - One of the most complete games of his career, just an outstanding all around day.
OT: Tyler Guyton - 73 - I liked some of his work in the run game but in pass pro he got a little over extended a few times.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 81 - I didn't get to watch him as much as I'd have liked but what I did see was pretty sound.
C: Andrew Raym - 85 - I actually thought he had a really nice day but that far inside you can miss a few things and I'm not in preseason form yet, ha.
OG: Chris Murray - 82 - No bad penalties and I thought he really turned a few interior defenders with good leverage.
OT: Anton Harrison - 86 - For a guy that made a late flip from left tackle to right, OU has to be pretty pleased with where this was.

Offensive Average: 83.8 (922)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 94 - A career day, at least to this point, for Grimes. Just incredible work and showing a great motor.
NT: Jeffrey Johnson - 83 - I loved his work in the run game, really stout and managed to fight off some blocks.
DT: Jordan Kelley - 88 - Showed the quickness that has been buzzed about this summer, could be a real difference maker.
DE: Ethan Downs - 80 - Downs was steady as always and just sets a never-ending standard for effort at all times.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 83 - I thought Stutsman missed a few things but man when he's locked in, he's still a special talent.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 77 - Ugwoegbu started a little slow and had a few misses but was a difference maker between the tackles.
CH: DaShaun White - 62 - I expected more to be honest, still seemed too tentative.
CB: Woodi Washington -81 - Wasn't really tested but on the rare occasion he was, he answered.
CB: Jaden Davis - 75 - Wasn't a star of the show or anything like that but did what was asked in Sooners base defense.
S: Key Lawrence - 77 - I honestly expected some plays to be made but he also kept OU from taking any heavy damage.
S: Bily Bowman - 84 - Was so close to making three or four big plays but just impressed me with how locked in he was.

Defensive Average: 80.4 (884)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 78 - Solid field goals and a steady all around night from the first year starter.
P: Michael Turk - 84 - Had one lackluster kick but largely was his outstanding self.
KR: Billy Bowman - 86 - Thought he was close to breaking one on more than one return.
PR: Marvin Mims - 80 - Was a shoelace from a near big break on that last return.

Special Teams Average: 81 (328)

Key Reserves:

RB: Marcus Major - 92 - I just love the way he looks in this offense, it all looks so natural to him.
RB: Jovantae Barnes - 77 - The fumble was a bad moment but man his twitch looks different than anyone on the roster right now.
WR: Gavin Freeman - 87 - I mean, I didn't see much but what else do you have to see following a run like that?
DT: Jalen Redmond - 83 - One of his most steady performances in memory. Needs to finish a bit more regularly.
DT: Kelvin Gilliam - 81 - Showed you what he's capable of on the sack, just a powerful guy with great leverage.
DE: R Mason Thomas - 74 - Wasn't the explosive start I thought we might see but he flashes some elite twitch on the edge.
LB: Jaren Kanak - 71 - Showed his speed a few times but also got caught up in the trash too often.
CB: Gentry Williams - 77 - I couldn't be happier for a great kid like Gentry to have that great moment in his first game.
S: Trey Morrison - 76 - I thought his positioning was quite good but he does seem to have some physical limitations.

Reserves Average: 79.8 (718)

Team Average: 81.5 (2852)

My Team Grade: 78

Breakdown: As you can tell the scores came out a bit better than my feelings on the game but in general there's a ton to be pleased here with all that was happening coming into the game. I think Oklahoma's defensive line has some work to do in pass rushing scenarios but I also concede that Oklahoma couldn't have been more vanilla defensively. I'd expect when the Sooners face Nebraska (or maybe they save it for Kansas State?) you see a lot more variety in what they are doing and are exotic in how they attack some passing games.

Offensively I've got to think this is about exactly what Jeff Lebby drew up. The Sooners dominated on the ground and let that set up plenty of passing success as well. Dillon Gabriel wasn't overwhelming but was very solid and you can tell has a lot of confidence in Marvin Mims and is building a real rapport with the rest of the receiving corps.

Not a ton to cover, Oklahoma was very vanilla, stuck to their gameplan and was largely dominant. It's going to be a few weeks until we know a lot but the Sooners just need to clean up some of the penalties and mistakes from this week.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News